NOT Live from the Mariner 4/19-26/09

Hi

You mentioned that you had to walk a long way to go to WalMart. You were probably

parked (docked) where the Princess lines usually park. There is a gate that lets you

out of the area where the crosswalk is.

That is where we were parked, and there was a guard there, in the little house. I wouldn't have relaized the guard was there if it wasn't for seeing some crew go that way. It sure looked a like a locked gate and the only way around was what Denise described.

I have to say - that Wal-Mart came in handy.

Wow... that's really weird... I know I read "be sure to wear your swimsuit under your clothes" in one place, and "be sure to bring your swimsuit" in another ... thought one was on the ticket, the other on the flyer... (Maybe that was for the Mazatlan tour, lunch and resort day??)

In fact, I mentioned the contradictory instructions to my roommate -- who is a VERY experienced cruiser, and when I said I would ask the excursions desk what to do, she said, "Why bother? They don't know anything..." I also watched the promo videos on the shore excursion channel, which may have provided additional information.

Yes, I did the Sierra Madre 11:15 horseback ride... Now I wanna go home and look at my documentation!! (Of course, I actually had to HAND IN my ticket to the tour provider, so I can't check what it said...)

I might have just worn a swimsuit because it did advertise "swimming in the river or on horseback"... and I wore a sport bra under my swimsuit (thank goodness!) for extra support while horseback riding, which was a REALLY good idea on the bouncy trot sections going up and downhill!!:eek:

I would just like to note that ONE person brought a bag - and NOT ONE THING FROM THE BAG was used.

Well, one thing was used. My bra, so I wouldn't have to remove the one I had on. Only they needed that one too. :rolleyes: I was a quest virgin, and thought that is what you do. It was helpful sitting next to the quest queen, who brought our team to victory. :D

<song> Don't you wish your husband was hot like mine. :D <song>

Well, one thing was used. My bra, so I wouldn't have to remove the one I had on. Only they needed that one too. :rolleyes: I was a quest virgin, and thought that is what you do. It was helpful sitting next to the quest queen, who brought our team to victory. :D

<song> Don't you wish your husband was hot like mine. :D <song>

Strapless next time, Susie.;):)

I was going to ask you about that, Cliff. Mark is one of my favorite crew members.

We went to a wine "tasting" (think Roman orgy :D) together in Montevideo, Uruguay!

Oh, I wish I was on that 'horn' trip!

2188236390077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

2840533870077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

Check out ALL the wine glasses on the table!!!!! ;)

Edited by Merion_Mom

• 4 years later...

Wow, I guess I got distracted FIVE YEARS AGO!!! Just started re-reading this adventure (five years to the day later... my birthday, as it happens!) -- and realize I never posted the end of my review.

I sincerely hope that's still on my home computer (I'll look for it tonight)... but here at work I have my pre-cruise-planning notes, including my copies of tour descriptions and prices (which clearly show that swimming was an option on the horseback riding tour)... and a full menu from the cruise. Enjoy! (Lo these 5 years later, by which time all has changed anyway...)

MARINER EXCURSIONS PLANNED:

Sea Kayaking Eco-Adventure – Cabo San Lucas – April 21 ($50)The rugged coastline, crystal blue water and diverse marine life make Cabo San Lucas Bay an ideal place to learn and experience sea kayaking. It's a short paddle to the magnificent Los Arcos: a natural rock monument that rises sharply out of the sea at Land's End. Together with pristine beaches, these towering rock formations offer a memorable sightseeing experience by kayak.

A water taxi will transport you from the tender pier to Medano Beach where it is a short walk to the kayak shop. Here your tour guide offers instructions in kayaking and will brief you about the underwater life, ecology and major points of interest in the area, including some of the early history of Baja California. You'll also receive snorkeling gear, instructions and a bottle of water for the trip.

Your guided paddling adventure aboard two-person, sit-on-top kayaks will take you across San Lucas Bay, past Pelican Rock, and around Los Arcos. You'll also stop for snorkeling or beaching on the famous Lover's Beach, which is only accessible by water and one of the few beaches in the world that actually joins two seas: the Sea of Cortez and the Pacific Ocean. Snorkeling gear, instruction and a bottle of water will be provided.

After your paddle back to Medano Beach, return to the main tender pier by water taxis or you may choose to walk 20 minutes directly into downtown Cabo San Lucas.

This tour has a minimum age limit of 12 years and a maximum weight limit of 250 pounds in order to participate. Participants must be in good health and should be competent swimmers. A safety vest must be worn throughout the kayaking and snorkeling portions of the tour. Participants should bring a towel and wear swimsuits under their clothes, as there are no changing facilities on the dock. The kayaking and snorkeling locations may change depending on the water/weather conditions at the sights. Sunscreen, sunglasses and hats are recommended.

Beach, Lunch & Shopping Tour – Mazatlán – April 22 ($52)

This excursion combines the color of a folkloric show with shopping and relaxing at a beachfront resort.

Taking aboard a chartered taxi, your tour begins with a scenic drive along Mazatlan's 7-mile oceanfront to the Aztec Theater located in the Golden Zone for a 30-minute folkloric show. As you enjoy a complimentary beverage, a local troupe dressed in colorful costumes will entertain you with song and dance of ancient and colonial Mexico. View the Papantla Flyers display an aerial act, which has been passed down through generations and is truly a sight that is not to be missed. Following the show, there will be free time to browse and shop for local handicrafts.

At the conclusion of the shopping portion of the tour, take a brief stroll to a local resort where there will be time to sunbathe or swim at the resort's pool and beach area. During your stay, a Mexican buffet lunch and a complimentary beverage will be served.

In the afternoon from 2:30 to 4:00 pm, taxis on a shuttle basis will provide your return trip from the hotel to the pier.

Bring your bathing suits; the resort hotel will provide changing facilities and towels. Sunscreen, sunglasses and hats are recommended. Lockers are availble for rent for a nominal fee.

Sierra Madre Horseback Ride – Puerta Vallarta – April 23 ($64)

You'll ride in air-conditioned comfort to the small village of La Desembocada, location of the ranch, Hacienda Dona Engracia. On arrival, you'll be greeted by the guides then each guest will be fitted with a proper horse based on size and experience and receive the required safety equipment.

The first portion of the ride takes you through shallow riverbeds and deep into the Sierra Madre. You'll stop for a rest at the halfway point where you may swim in the crystal waters of the river, or experience swimming on horseback. If you wish, you may just rest on the riverbank with a cold drink. Afterward, you'll return to the ranch for a tequila briefing where you will be able to enjoy samples. You will have time to purchase snacks at your own expense.

Guest must be a minimum of 12 years of age and all guests under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult in order to participate. There is a maximum weight limit of 240 lbs and a minimum height restriction of 5 feet. All guests will be required to wear a riding helmet while on horseback. Guests are required to wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt, hat and sneakers are recommended. There are no changing facilities thus guests wishing to swim should wear their swimsuit under their clothing, bring a towel and sunscreen. Participation on this tour requires that a waiver release form be completed. Please note that snacks are available at your own expense.

MARINER MENUS:

Sunday

• Strawberry, Kiwi and Pineapple Medley (v) – juicy fresh fruit drizzled with sweet tart lime syrup

• Smoked Fish Tapenade – sweet onions, tangy capers and fresh herbs complement this fish dish. Served with a golden brown crostini

• Vidalia Onion Tart – sweet vidalia onions combined with nutty gruyere cheese then baked in a buttery cruise. Served with leek fondue and sautéed red peppers

• Sopa de Tortilla – robust Mexican tomato soup garnished with fried julienne tortilla

• Hot and Sour Shrimp soup – spicy pungent lemongrass scented seafood broth with cilantro and vegetables

• Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho (v) – a variety of flavors and textures paly off beautifully in the soup, garnished with chopped celery and cucumber

• Spinach Salad – fresh spinach with plum tomatoes, sliced mushrooms and toasted sunflower seeds

• Caesar Salad - simple and classic. Crisp romaine lettuce with shaved parmesan and herbed croutons

• Shrimp Ravioli – bits of shrimp in pasta pillows, served in a creamy coconut lime lobster sauce atop wilted spinach and garnished with fried leeks

• Linguini with Marinara Sauce (v) – fragrant sauce of tomatoes, onion and garlic, simmered and tossed with al dente pasta

• Pan Seared Fresh Alaskan Salmon – simple and delicious. Served atop braised lentils, with tender green beans, sweet snow peas and verjus beurre blanc

• Fresh Alaskan King Cod – broiled fish fillet served with Chef’s choice of vegetables

• Pan Fried Pork Medallions – meaty medallions served with buttery mashed potatoes, broccoli and a savory forest mushroom ragout

• Chicken Breast with Seasonal Herbs - grilled breast of chicken perfumed with rosemary served with assorted vegetables

• Slow Roasted prime Rib – juicy cut of beef served with baked potato and tasty horseradish jus

• Black Angus Top Sirloin - grilled to order, topped with herb butter and served with garden vegetables

• Grilled Mediterranean Vegetable Quesadilla (v) – Melted Montery Jack cheese and vegetables sandwiched in a warm flour tortilla. Served with a tomato-cilantro salsa

• Aloo Gobi Methi – fenugreek flavored potato and cauliflower curry served with fragrant basmati rice, pappadams and tangy raita

• Strawberry Pavlova (v) – crispy meringue coated with fresh cream and topped with a strawberry compote –as distinctive as its namesake

• Chocolate Cherry Cake – classic flavor combination in a cake. Served with a dollop of Kirsch cream

• Savarin – luscious sponge cake soaked in Grand Mariner syrup and finished with fresh fruit and mango goulis

• Low fat Blueberry and Peach Cobbler – spiced with cinnamon and dusted with powdered sugar Sugar Free

Monday

• Orange Carpaccio – thinly sliced citrus complemented by the sweet sharpness of red onion, the salty bit of feta cheese and tangy cumin mint yoghurt

• Shrimp Cocktail – served chilled with spicy-sweet Royal cocktail sauce

• Escargots Bourguignonne – tender snails, drenched in melted garlic herb butter nd baked to perfection

• Lobster Bisque – rosy colored and laced with cognac and whipped cream, this is a classic fare

• Oxtail Broth – rich beef broth scented with aged sherry, served with a crispy cheese twist

• Chilled Golden Pear Soup (v) – delicately sweet, this chilled soup serves as a canvas for the dark red of the dried cranberry garnish

• Caesar salad – simple and classic. Crisp romaine lettuce with shaved parmesan and herbed croutons

• Truffled Wild Mushroom Linguini Alfredo (v) – white truffle oil enhances the earthiness of the wild mushrooms in the creamy pasta dish

• Linguini with Mariana Sauce (v) – fragrant sauce of tomatoes, onion and garlic, simmered and tossed with al dente pasta

• Fresh Alaskan Steelhead Trout – pan-seared and served on a mound of creamy black olive polenta, and accompanied by Spanish sofrito and fried capers

• Fresh Alaskan King Cod – broiled fish filet served with Chef’s choice of vegetables

• Roasted Duck – a black currant sauce and sweet red cabbage complement the richness of the duck, while golden brown croquette potatoes add texture

• Chicken Breast with Seasonal Herbs – grilled breast of chicken perfumed with rosemary served with assorted vegetables

• Filet of Beef – piquant green peppercorn sauce is the perfect partner to this tender cut of beef. Served with a mound of creamy whipped potatoes and meaty sautéed crimini mushrooms

• Black Angus Top Sirloin – grilled to order, topped with herb butter and served with garden vegetables

• Eggplant Mozzarella Tower (v) – thick sautéed slices of eggplant, drizzled with balsamic glaze, surrounded by chunky plum tomato sauce

• Potato curry (v) – potatoes, onion and rich spicy tomato curry served with fragrant basmati rice, pappadams and tangy raita

• Double Strawberry Cheesecake – creamy cheesecake laced with a strawberry swirl, Add a dollop of whipped cream, a spoonful of strawberry compote and enjoy!

• Cherries Jubilee (v) – warmed, dark red cherries laced with Kirsch, Generously ladled over vanilla ice cream

• Low Fat Double strawberry Cheesecake – low fat cheesecake laced with a strawberry swirl, Add a spoonful of strawberry compote and enjoy!

• Sugar Free Coconut Vanilla Layer Cake – a Tahitian vanilla mousse rests between layers of moist cake, Toasted coconut adds a bit of crunch

Tuesday

• Caprese Salad (v) – creamy fresh mozzarella and sun ripened tomatoes drizzled with extra virgin olive oil. Simple yet perfect

• Antipasti – Cured Italian ham, seasonal melon, grilled vegetables, marinated Portobella mushrooms, and baked caramelized garlic

• Scallop Risotto – delicate sea scallops enhanced by the sweetness of corn, served over a creamy mascarpone risotto

• Creamy Roasted Garlic Soup – mild and fragrant garnished with rye bread croutons

• Minestrone(v) – A hearty tomato soup, filled with vegetables and pasta, sprinkled with Pecorino Romano cheese

• Strawberry Bisque(v)– perfectly chilled soup garnished with a sprig of fragrant mint

• Caesar Salad – simple and classic. Crisp romaine lettuce with shaved parmesan and herbed croutons

• Insalata Mista (v) – mixed greens, crisp zucchini, sweet red bell peppers and black olives

• Rigatoni Pasta – spicy chorizo sausage, colorful bell peppers, grilled corn, olive oil and basil lend a Southwestern twist to this dish

• Rigatoni with Marinara sauce (v) – fragrant sauce of tomatoes, onion and garlic simmered and tossed with al dente pasta

• Garlic Tiger Shrimp – reminiscent of classic shrimp scampi; sautéed in garlic herb butter and accompanied by seasonal vegetables

• Fresh Alaskan King Cod – broiled fish fillet served with Chef’s choice of vegetables

• Chicken Marsala – sautéed chicken scallopine nestled in Marsala mushroom sauce, served with buttery mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables

• Chicken Breast with Seasonal Herbs - grilled breast of chicken perfumed with rosemary and served with assorted vegetables

• Lamb Shank with Rosemary – succulent lamb shank flavored with a hint of rosemary and served with oven roasted vegetables and garlic mashed potatoes

• Black Angus Top Sirloin - grilled to order, topped with herb butter and served with garden vegetables

• Vegetarian Chili – full of vegetables and slightly spiced. Topped with grated cheese and sour cream. Served with jalapeno corn bread

• Warm Chocolate Cake (v) warm chocolate cake complemented by milk chocolate sauce and sweet roasted pears

• Raspberry Panna Cotta – full of raspberry flavor, this light Italian dessert is served on a crunchy almond butter cookie

• Tiramisu – this creamy dessert combines the best of several worlds: mascarpone, espresso, Kahlua

• Low Fat Angel Food Cake – light as a feather, with Grand Mariner marinated strawberries

Wednesday - NO idea – could have been this

• Southeast Asian Inspired Garden Salad (v) – Napa cabbage, sweet snow peas and shiitake mushrooms in a spiced ginger, oyster sauce and rice vinegar dressing

• Smoke Duck Breast – sliced smoked duck breast served with asparagus-arugula salad, candied walnuts and honey orange dressing

• Bay Scallops and Crab Meat Gratin – dainty bay scallops and sweet crab meat drenched in herb butter sauce, served with a French flute crostini

• Halibut Chowder – hearty fish stew with sweet corn, Yukon Gold potatoes and oyster crackers

• Beef and Tomato Soup – flavorful soup garnished with root vegetables and beans

• Chilled Forest Berry Soup (v) – a burst of berries swirled wit buttermilk

• Caesar Salad – simple and classic, Crisp romaine lettuce with shaved parmesan and herbed croutons

• Glacier Salad (v) – iceberg lettuce and crisp garden vegetables served family style

• Spiral Pasta – pieces of smoked trout and creamy brandy sauce tossed with al dente pasta. Garnished with ripe cherry tomatoes and scallions

• Spiral Pasta with Marinara Sauce (v) – fragrant sauce of tomatoes, onion and garlic simmered and tossed with al dente pasta

• Fresh Alaskan Catch of the Day – baked on a cedar plank and served with tender new potatoes

• Shishimi Chicken Schnitzel – chicken breast marinated in a Japanese seven spice mix, fried golden and served with wasabi mashed potatoes , garlic broccoli, soy braised corn on the cob and Mirin infused mayonnaise

• Chicken breast with seasonal herbs – grilled breast of chicken perfumed with rosemary and served with assorted vegetables

• Venison Stufado – braised in a rich Burgundy and shallot sauce with a bread spinach dumpling and tart cranberry compote

• Black Angus Top Sirloin – grilled to order, topped with herb butter and served with garden vegetables

• Vegetarian Bami Goreng (v) – Garlic, chili and green onions are combined with fresh vegetables to make up this Indonesian favorite, Strips of omelet and a sweet peanut sauce complete this dish

• Brinjal Bhajee (v) – baked and pureed eggplant curry with chili, served with fragrant basmati rice, pappadams and tangy raita

• Chocolate, Whisky and Raisin Cake – delicious cake finished with soft whipped cream

• Apple-Rhubarb Crumble Pie(v) – sweet tart fruits, topped with oatmeal crumbles and baked until golden

• Warm Maple Syrup Pudding – moist vanilla cake soaked in maple syrup sauce

• Low-fat stone fruit Clafouti – a variety of stone fruits in a light batter, baked and served with low fat vanilla ice cream

Thursday

• Exotic Fruits

• Crab and Shrimp Salad

• Melon Proscuitto

• Beef and Veal Tortallacci

• Jalapeño Potato Soup

• Chicken consommé

• Chilled Cranberry and Mango soup

• Seasonal Greens

• Caesar Salad

• International Cheese Plate

• Penne Tarantina – a chunky tomato and garlic sauce loaded with plump mussels, shrimp and sweet bay scallops all tossed with al dente pasta

• Penne with Marinara Sauce (v) – fragrant sauce of tomatoes, onion and garlic simmered and tossed with al dente pasta

• Cornmeal Dusted Talapia – slightly crispy fish filet served with a healthy portion of Japanese ratatouille and a wasabi aioli

• Fresh Alaskan Salmon – broiled fish fillet served with Chef’s choice of vegetables

• Parmesan Crusted Turkey Tenderloin – a savory sage and mustard sauce is the perfect foil for this poultry dish

• Chicken breast with seasonal herbs – grilled breast of chicken perfumed with rosemary and served with assorted vegetables

• Slow Roasted Beef Shoulder Fillet – served with decadent mascarpone roasted potatoes and Shiraz reduction

• Asparagus and Brie Tart (v) – fresh asparagus and nutty brie are baked in a buttery crust – topped with grilled plum tomato, arugula salad, red pepper essence and chive oil add a bright touch

• Gobi Ki Sabzi (v) – cauliflower curry with cumin seeds, ginger, peppers and tomatoes served with fragrant basmati rice, pappadams and tangy raita

• Choco-Chino Trilogy – a delightful chocolate trip: sweet Grand Marnier white chocolate mousse, creamy milk chocolate and Kahlua cheesecake, and a slice of dense dark chocolate mud cake

• BBB – Banana and Baileys Irish Cream brulee custard baked under a caramel crust

• Magic Mango Parfait – light creamy frozen mango custard layered with Caribbean mango salsa

• Low Fat Exotic Pineapple and Coconut Cake – a pina colada in a flourless cake –with a healthy scoop of pineapple sorbet for good measure

• Steamed Sugar Free Vanilla and Berry Custard – finished with fresh berries

Friday

• Sun Ripened Pineapple – Sweet apricot ricotta and the subtle bite of black peppercorn are perfect with pineapple slices

• Citrus Cured Salmon - Thinly sliced salmon served with a refreshing dill cucumber salad

• Creamed Wild Mushrooms in Puff pastry – a herby blend of wild mushrooms, cream and herbs all encased in delicate puff pastry

• Cream of Asparagus – pale green and creamy, this delicious classic soup is garnished with crunchy almonds

• Double Duck Consommé – aged port gives this rich broth a depth of flavor and is garnished with a mélange of julienne vegetables

• Roasted Peach Soup – roasting brings out the sweetness of this stone fruit. Strawberries serve as a colorful garnish

• Caesar Salad – simple and classic, Crisp romaine lettuce with shaved parmesan and herbed croutons

• House Salad – Boston and Oak leaf lettuce, vine ripe tomatoes and sunflower seeds

• New England Bay Scallops and Ziti – sweet bay scallops, grilled with Portobella mushrooms and fire roasted red pepper pesto swirl around the pasta

• Ziti with Marinara sauce – fragrant sauce of tomatoes, onion, garlic, simmered and tossed with al dente pasta

• Fisherman’s Plate – A broiled lobster tail and garlicky shrimp with broccoli florets

• Fresh Alaskan Salmon – broiled fish fillet served with Chef’s choice of vegetables

• Thai BBQ Chicken Breast – the delicate perfume of jasmine rice is enhanced by coconut and lemongrass

• Slow Roasted Aged Prime Rib – served with natural au jus, a fluffy baked potato and light glazed root vegetables

• Asian Fried Tofu (v) – golden brown tofu is matched with sautéed bok choy, shiitake mushrooms and spicy red curry sauce

• Kabuli Chana (v) – chickpea curry served with fragrant basmati rice, pappadams and tangy raita

• Desert Sampler – a trio of exquisite tastes and textures on one plate

• Low fat Berry Mousse – light strawberry and blueberry yoghurt mousse accompanied by a rich tasting low fat vanilla sauce

• Sugar Free Red Berry Tart – delicate flaky pie cruise filled with sugar free vanilla pastry cream and fresh red berries

Saturday – This isn’t totally accurate – they changed this but most of it is the same

• Fired Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (v) – creamy hummus and toasted pita paired with tangy red pepper

• Shrimp Cocktail – served chilled with spicy sweet Royal cocktail sauce

• Spinach Dip (v) – warm and creamy, this spinach dip is comfort food at its best. Served with crispy tortilla chips

• Roasted Pumpkin and Apple Soup (v) – Pumpkins natural sweetness is balanced with crisp apples. Crème fraiche and fried sage add a savory touch

• Onion Soup – caramalized onions are simmered in rich beef broth. Full of flavor each serving is finished with a Gruyere toast

• Chilled Forest Berries and Buttermilk soup (v) – a unique combination of sweet, fresh berries blended with tart buttermilk

• Caesar Salad – Crisp romaine lettuce and crunchy jumbo croutons, sprinkled with Parmesan shavings, served family style

• Smoked Salmon Pasta – earthy sautéed mushrooms, crushed tomatoes and cream complement the flavors of smoked salmon and Grey Goose vodka

• Conchiglie with Marinara Sauce (v) - fragrant sauce of tomatoes, onion, garlic, simmered and tossed with al dente pasta

• Fresh Alaskan Scrod Tempura – mild fish, lightly coated with tempura batter and fried golden. Served with stir-fried vegetables and homemade sweet and sour sauce

• Fresh Alaskan Salmon – broiled fish filet served with Chef’s choice of vegetables

• Roasted Turkey – served with apple bread dressing, rich pan gravy, a mound of creamy mashed potatoes and tart cranberry sauce

• Chicken Breast with Seasonal Herbs - grilled breast of chicken perfumed with rosemary and served with assorted vegetables

• Grilled NY Strip Steak – juicy steak with decadent Béarnaise sauce, crispy potato wedges and sautéed zucchini

• Risotto Primavera (v) – creamy risotto flavored with a hint of saffron and garnished with freshly grilled vegetables

• Rice Biryani (v) – delicately flavored with saffron and spices, served with pappadams and tangy raita

• Brownie Madness – a dollop of bittersweet chocolate mousse perched atop a chocolate brownie and drizzled with semi sweet chocolate sauce

• Key Lime Pie – tangy creamy custard with the distinctive flavor of key lime nestled in a flaky pie cruise

• Banana and Crunchy Nut Parfait (v) – creamy frozen banana custard in layers of luscious whipped cream finished with caramel fudge sauce, almonds and macadamia nuts

RED-HOT MARINATED MARINERS - Pub Crawl and Poker Run Instructions

12:45 PM VIKING CROWN LOUNGE – STARTING LINE

Pub Crawl Rules:

POKER RUN Details: Cost to play is $2.00 per person. We will visit six to eight bars/pubs. At each bar we can drink or not drink - whatever the player chooses.

*The starting Pub/Bar will be the Viking Crown Lounge, since it is one of the largest bars and is usually open all day long. All additional pubs/bars will be determined once onboard the Mariner of the Seas.

Due to time constraints, PLEASE arrive at the Viking Crown Lounge no later than 12:45 PM. This will allow enough time to sign up and get the Crawl underway. We have over 70 folks to sign up! We would like to START PROMPTLY AT 1:00 PM.

I highly suggest eating something before you arrive! This is NOT a timed event, but rather an opportunity to move slowly and savor the relationship of spirits and friendships.

POKER RUN RULES:

JohnB (tinkerme1 DH) along with a soon to be named co-conspirator, will open a new deck of cards at each bar, spread out on a table, and each player will choose a card. There will be a new deck of cards opened at each bar. Player and JohnB must initial the back of the card before leaving that bar. (If your card is NOT initialed, it will become invalid).

This continues at each bar. The best poker hand at the end of the Crawl WINS the JACKPOT!!! Depending upon how many play will decide if there is a 2nd place winning hand. You MUST be present at the end of the Pub Crawl to win the JACKPOT!

It is important to remember that with 70 + players, we will all need to be patient and very kind to our bartenders. Please don’t forget to thank them with a tip!

We will move as a group to each bar, however, if you wish to move forward early in the game, you will need to wait for JohnB to arrive at the new “location” to provide you with a new card! Each bar will have a different deck of cards! I’m anticipating that we’ll be spending anywhere between 15 - 20 minutes in each location.

At any time, you can trade one of your cards for a new card for the cost of $1.00. Again, the new card will require a signature by both individuals to be valid. Only initialed cards will be accepted.

Please drink responsibly! Please don’t drive off the ship, walk off the ship (we’re at sea), or dance off the ship (DG for example) and remember to hydrate with water since alcohol is dehydrating!

The purpose of this Pub Crawl is to enjoy yourselves with old and new friends!

There will be no whining, crying or mass hysteria during the crawl although laughing, joking, fun, and responsible drinking is encouraged. The decisions of the judges are final!

*There are Pub Crawl Shirts designed and available to order from CafePress. If you would like one, please go to: http://www.cafepress.com/REDHOTMARINERS Part of the design will include the bar names for us to have signed by the bartenders while we walk or crawl.

We’ll have toasts to the winners, toasts to our friends, and trivia for a special prize!

Gracious, yes, my journal continues to the end of the cruise... I wonder what happened on my birthday five years ago that made me TOTALLY forget to post the rest of this? Anywhere, for "posterity" -- here it is!!

Saturday, April 25 – Cruising

Up at 6am, dressed, went up to deck 11 to walk over to ShipShape Center… COLD and RAINY on deck!! Arrived early for 7am stretch class, so I relaxed on a mat for a while (muscles are a bit sore and stiff… maybe related to chest congestion I have been experiencing since yesterday). Usual wonderful stretch class, followed by challenging fab abs class, the demanding final spin class (we are down to 4 people!) and then Yoga (which has grown to over 16 people). Gave the gym instructor a cash tip, and assured him I would write a positive review on my comment card.

I also recommended that they always have two gym instructors, so his time wasn’t taken up with charging people’s cards for the pay classes, setting up and breaking down the spin class bikes (we helped him with this most days so our classes wouldn’t be shortened), changing clothes, etc. He said he only took time out of his breaks, not our classes, but the spin class was never longer than 40 minutes (he changed clothes and set up bikes after the abs class, and we were pedaling by 8:10… and wrapping up by 8:50 so he could put away the bikes, change clothes again, and charge any new class members). The Yoga class was usually 50-55 minutes, since the class members took out and put away their own mats… and he handled the long line of individual class charges after the class, which was the final one of the series.

After my 3 hours in the gym, I had to run back to the cabin to shower and dress for the bridge tour my dear diamond-plus roomie had invited me to attend. (She also went to a backstage tour at 9am when I was in Yoga… and we had a galley tour scheduled for 1:30, but had to miss that due to an HOUR-LONG wait to get into Johnny Rockets… more on that later.) The bridge tour was quite full, with about 12 diamond plus attendees, including several from our delightful CC group. We were told many interesting facts about the operation of the Mariner by a first officer on the bridge, showed much of the advanced equipment, and allowed to take photographs. Then Captain Per came in, and took pictures with those who wanted. He was very friendly and personable.

After the tour, Carol and I went up to Johnny Rockets with John & Celia (stopped by their cabin first, and invited Bonnie & Tom, too). While we were on line – in the FREEZING COLD WIND ON DECK 12 – Kelsey found us, then went to get her Mom, so now we were 8 people. It took us until nearly 1:20 to get seated (remember, we left the Bridge tour at 12:00 so Captain Per could do his noon report on the PA system, so we were on line for nearly an hour and a half). By then I was so hungry -- after three hours in the gym, a quick shake for breakfast, and an hour-long bridge tour -- I gobbled down virtually everything they brought to the table: onion rings, French fries, chili fries, hamburgers, apple pie, chocolate shake, everything.

After lunch I returned to the cabin and dozed for a while in a grease-and-carb laden haze… slept through 3pm Turner Classic Movie trivia (don’t think I would’ve done too well at that anyway) … got up around 3:30, did some packing and then headed down to TriBond Trivia at 4:45, running into John in the elevator (who was headed to meet Celia there) – the three of us made our own team, since Deb & MerionMom had already joined forces with others. This is a fun trivia, where they give you 3 words and you have to figure out how they are linked. We had 14 out of 15 (would’ve had 15 if we could’ve played with our usual group, who had the one we missed, and we had the one they missed)… but there was another team who got the full 15 out of 15, so we were shut out, alas…

After Trivia, we sat in Vintages and watched the parade go by, and chatted with some youngish (former Carnival) cruisers who were playing cards and complaining that “there was nothing to do” on this ship… and that during the lull in activities, later in the afternoon, the buffet was closed so they couldn’t even graze! They said they were working out 2 hours a day because there were no other activities… hmmm…. Admittedly, the parade was a bit lame… anyway, after that we headed down to the overflow Concierge Lounge in the Dragon’s Lair, and then to the farewell variety show.

Abe Hughes has a great new movie (reminiscent of Kirk Detweiler’s movie about a day in the life of a CD) where he takes us on a tour of his “crib”… but it isn’t his cabin, it’s the Captain’s cabin!! (We recognized it because we had seen the entrance earlier that same day on our bridge tour, since they’re on the same hallway, and Captain Per has left his door open so we could look inside.) Anyway, it has a Survivor finale-type ending, where Abe is dashing through the ship and then runs into the theatre, dressed in his formal duds. Very nice!

Then we had the same great juggler from the first night. He juggled plastic bags (that was cool), then balls, then clubs (while also balancing them on his face), then lighted balls in the dark… and once again, he called on me to help, this time onstage with him!! I got to juggle plastic bags (really easy) along with a gentleman from the audience… and then, the juggler (Ivan Pacal, can that be his name?) told the audience to focus on Preston (the other audience member) and completely ignore me and him… and then there was a disco ball and wild music and he and I were dirty dancing, yeah!! (Did I mention he was a hunky piece of eye candy?!) Apparently MerionMom got some good photos and a video that I’m looking forward to seeing…

The rest of the show was a nice ensemble performance by the musicians, singers and dancers, and then a representative group of staff from around the ship (dining room and Windjammer servers, stateroom attendants, CD and youth staff, officers, chefs, the hotel manager and the captain) all singing and waving goodbye. The show ended at ten to eight, and I ran up to the cabin to do some more packing and dress for dinner. I brought cards to give to my CC pals, and tips for the staff, as well as boxed pens from my office as little thank-you gifts. For dinner I had two orders of shrimp cocktail (again, tiny shrimp) plus the family-service Caesar salad (no cheese plate tonight), the New York Strip steak, and the key lime pie for dessert. Carol’s coffee ice cream turned out to be vanilla, and she left early, disappointed.

Back to the room to complete the packing, then watched a bit of the movie “21” on the stateroom TV before joining the gang to close down Vintages on the Promenade, and go for some final disco dancing in Dragon’s Lair (actually my FIRST trip to the dance floor). DG got the DJ to spin some old tunes, since he was playing tuneless and beatless hiphop with only 3 young folk on the floor – once we had some disco and funk playing the place FILLED UP with people of ALL AGES… hmmmm, maybe they should learn something from this?

Sunday, April 26 – Disembark San Pedro 7am

Up at 7am, dressed, breakfast in Windjammer (sat with group of Australians and talked about cruising – they often go to Asia, and do business there, too) then back to room – Carol already gone, so I finished packing and headed down to Lotus Lounge (private departure area for Platinum, Diamond and Diamond Plus) and there she was, along with Deb, Kelsey and Laura. Missed saying goodbye to John and Celia, but Phil & John, Jean and Virginia all showed up. Headed out to terminal, picked up luggage and went to meet Sharon & Co. at Supershuttle. Driver whined about not getting paid extra for extra stops; Sharon explained she had told them multiple stops when she made reservation. I still tipped him $2 for loading and unloading my bags. Called Jason, Ariel and Paul to let them know I had disembarked and was at airport.

Checked in at Delta and paid $15 to check one bag, then went to gate. Had 4 hours to kill; picked up a magazine and a book and some candy ($12), a Pizza and a brownie ($13), and later a yogurt, a fruit cup and a chips ($12). Kept nodding off in terminal. Flight started to board at 2:10; again COMPLETELY full, and I was next to window (freezing, not enough insulation against the cold air outside). Ate, read (finished book, magazine, and onboard magazines, plus several Sudoku and crosswords), slept and coughed. Arrived at 11pm, waited for plane to empty, took my bags and went to baggage claim, my bag was very early off.

Had been calling Paul since we landed, but he never called back so I made a deal with a taxi driver to take me home for $50 (he later lowered it to $40 when he took the toll-free Queensboro bridge and we talked in Spanish, but I still gave him the $50). Paul, of course, called once I was in the taxi – saying, “Oh, I thought it was midnight” – and he was in my car!! (He had told me he would be picking me up in the Subaru, never called to ask about using my van; garage door opener was in my house.) I beat him back to the house, got undressed, then he arrived and I headed downstairs to let him into the garage.

Unpacked, put laundry in cart, wrote up quick coaching call notes, now trying to fill in past few days of cruise in review – then I will post a “not live from the Mariner” thread.

How weird is it that I never posted the end of that review? I'm discovering other "not live froms" I never posted either... some of them end right in the middle, so either my computer died or I got tired of keeping a daily journal... but I've also sailed on the Radiance, the Majesty, the Monarch on the east coast, the Caribbean Princess, the Sun Princes, and more... I wonder if I have more old journals somewhere??