how much will cost a cruice to europe cruise

Paul Weinstock

You'll have to talk to a travel agent to figure out prices. ;)

There is too much of a variable.

Generally, mainstream cruises in Europe start at about $799 per person but can go higher (as in $2,500 pp to start), the 3rd and 4th person in a cabin is reduce.

You can hit a good deal from time to time. But it all depends on the itinerary and cruise line.

also depends on when you want to travel. i have done both of mine in october and november...its much cheaper then. can also recommend mid term break over here if you are looking for a time when there will be other kids around (although not too many) and there wont be lots of crowds at all the tourist sites you will visit.

There are some great bargains out there for cruises in the Med and Baltic - the real cost factor is the airline tickets. Look for the best airfares (usually London) and then look at the cruises that are within easy reach. There are a number of really low cost airlines that serve Europe. Last year, we flew to Paris from Seattle for about $800rt each. We stayed a week in Paris then flew down to Barcelona for our cruise. We flew on EasyJet (don't check bags or it is no bargain!) for about 100 euro for the three of us. To make travel easier, we only took a rolling carry-on bag each and planned on doing some laundry along the way. We disembarked the ship in Athens and flew back to Paris on Luftansa for about 130 euro total. With 7 airline tickets to purchase, affordable airfare is your key.

I am traveling in June to Europe (Baltic Sea) with my family of 5. We also did the Med last May.

There are a lot of hidden costs with such a big family that need to be taken into account. Example-In Barcelona , NO cab will take a family of 5. It´s a law.So , you have to get two cabs. It gets pricey.

Usually , the airports are far from the city centers , so you have to calculate that.And there are almost no big hotel rooms-have to get 2.

As far as cruise prices , the inside cabins on my 14 day cruise in the Baltics just dropped to $999 a pers on , 3rd and 4th much cheaper. i have a Family Stateroom , with a huge balcony , so it was more expensive , but good deals can be had.

We are spending a lot more on this next trip because we are going to Paris 4 days before the cruise and London 3 days after-that more than doubled our expenses. But I figure , it´s not everyday we have this opportunity-we are already there , let´s take advantage.

I have been obsessive about asking for discounts and special rates on everything , and have saved a lot of money. Planning is key.

It isn´t cheap, but it is totally worth it!!

Have fun!

Kim

We just returned from our 7 day med cruise. For a family of three the cruise tickets alone cost around $2,500. Onboard we spent around $600. In port without purchasing anything besides food we spent around $1,000.00. It was worth it, but a little expensive (at least for us). Good luck! I hope you guys can find something in your price range. It is a wonderful experience.

We will like to take our five kids, They are 15, 16, 12, 9, 7.

Thanks

Paul Weinstock

Cost lots about 3x more then if just the parents go :D

Figure you got beyond the cabin issue where you likely need 3 cabins minimum. Then you got airfare, ground transportation, food, graduitiies, tours, entrance fees, trinket money, etc. etc.

Some things don't scale well. Cabins if you find quads you can save 30-50% on the third / fourth. As OP mentioned you are pretty much going to need two vehicles for most transportation. For private tours you can't fit into one car so you will be in the two car or van affair and then the best cost/person is usually 13-15 people.

I would say the cost per person can vary from as low as 1.5K to upwards of 10k (per person ) depending on cruiseline, what you do in port, how you like to travel and eat, and when and how long you go ;) We did a 14 day for about 4K/person including everything; airfare, tours, cabins, etc. etc.

In Port if you DIY you can likely get by on < 50 Euros a day, if you do private tours budget 150-175 euros . Some ports are more expensive ( Italian ), some notably cheaper ( Turkey ), YMMV.

We are probably at an extreme end of the spectrum.. went all out for our upcoming trip. As other say- you can do it for less.. and I am sure there are others who have done it for more.. but this is big for us.. (3 years of no vacation)

4 of us- Royal Suite on X. (9K) Lots of room, dining room ( for nights when 2YO wont behave due to being cranky in MDR), Large balcony for when he sleeps, etc.

Flying economy (4K)

Private tours in all ports (5K)

Budget for on board purchases (wine with meals etc)

Transportation to and from airport in NYC

1 night in barcelona pre cruise

Spending money

babysitting

Tips ($60pp/per day)

ALL In (and I mean ALL in) we are expecting about 25K.

We are probably at an extreme end of the spectrum.. went all out for our upcoming trip. As other say- you can do it for less.. and I am sure there are others who have done it for more.. but this is big for us.. (3 years of no vacation)

4 of us- Royal Suite on X. (9K) Lots of room, dining room ( for nights when 2YO wont behave due to being cranky in MDR), Large balcony for when he sleeps, etc.

Flying economy (4K)

Private tours in all ports (5K)

Budget for on board purchases (wine with meals etc)

Transportation to and from airport in NYC

1 night in barcelona pre cruise

Spending money

babysitting

Tips ($60pp/per day)

ALL In (and I mean ALL in) we are expecting about 25K.

If you need a personal nanny, I'm in! :D;););)

Sounds like an awesome trip! Have fun!

If you need a personal nanny, I'm in! :D;););)

Sounds like an awesome trip! Have fun!

We leave next Friday out of JFK- See you there!! It would be an honor to have you join us!!

Talk about having the expert of all experts!!

It was many of your encouraging posts that gave us the courage to try this with our little one!!

WineDown-

You got a good deal on your Royal Suite-I paid a little more for a FOV (granted , we have 5 instead of 4.)Enjoy!

I haven´t had the courage to add everything up , so here we go . I´ll finally put it down on paper and scare myself to death!LOL!

Air-$5,800 (economy)

Hotels -Pre/Post cruise- Around $1100

Eurostar Tickets (Paris /London)- $385

Cruise-14 days /Baltic Seas-Celebrity Constellation-FOV-$10,500

Transport to and from ports , airports etc-$500

Private 2 day tour in St, Petersburg-$1,000

Tickets to museums /attractions etc-approx.$500

Meals-really don´t know!!

Car Rental-Germany/Denmark-$380

Onboard expenses-guessing $1500

I´d say total $30k!!!Argghhhh!

But , as WineDown said, trip of a lifetime and 40th b-day present!

Kim

We leave next Friday out of JFK- See you there!! It would be an honor to have you join us!!

Talk about having the expert of all experts!!

It was many of your encouraging posts that gave us the courage to try this with our little one!!

Awww thanks! I hope you have the BEST cruise ever! Cause if you don't, you'll probably be back here to yell at me...lol. ;)

Seriously though, have a wonderful time! And I want to hear all about it when you get back.

EDITED TO SAY -

I wanted to add, do NOT leave your precruise hotel with all of your passports and cash in a bag and hang it on the back of a chair ;) True story on the RCCL board. People weren't able to board after their bag was stolen.

Brazil-

My husband is in finance- so we have a special spreadsheet to track every dime.. Ugh!!

And we did get a good deal.. we had origianlly booked a Celeb. Suite for 12K.. and the price dropped to 8K.. then the price dropped further, but the RS dropped to 8500.. so I snatched it! One RS just came back up as available yesterday and they now want 16K for it again.. so I tell everyone- check prices DAILY. You can really snatch a deal!!! Have a great time.. its only money, right!?! :)

Cruisin Mama-

I would never blame you!! I am fully prepared and know that I am cruising with a 2 year old, and EVERY day is unpredictable.. doesnt matter if I am home or away. We will make the best of it, and not lose sight of how lucky we are to be able to provide our family this experience. (We also have a 12 YO)

I purchased a few neck wallets for the trip after reading about all the theft on the Europe boards.. It is scary!! We also made copied of all of our documents.. just to be safe!! But, could you imagine? How very terrible. Vigilance is the key... Or maybe a sign around our neck that says "we have H1N1 virus" will keep the pickpockets away!! LOL.

I will be taking copious notes and writing a review when I return... I really want to pay back all the folks who gave me such great advice, when most of the other boards flamed me for even thinking about bringing a 2 YO!!

Best of all DS is potty trained, and has been for some time.. so pools wont be off limits if it is warm enough. yeah! I am thinking we may have the kiddie pool all to ourselves on this one!!

My last thing to do- Rent a CARES device off eBay... and we are ready to go!!!

Woo hoo!!

What is a CARES device??

Last year , I sailed on the Summit on May 11th (Mother´s Day)...We had lovely , lovely weather the whole time (except for the cold , cold rain in Barcelona on the day we arrived-good to get it out of the way the first day!)

I hope you have the same luck and enjoy the amazing ship and perfect itinerary!I too want to hear all about it!

Kim

Thanks!

CARES is a seatbelt for the airplane tha mimics a childs car seat restraints... without having to lug a car seat..

It is FAA approved, and very pricy.... renting one makes more sense to me..

here is a pic:

photoright.jpg

Archived