Coata Atlantica Review 11/28/04 - 12/5/04

bobbob160

Forget everything negative you have read about the Costa Atlantica. In my opinion, the cruise, service, food and everything else was excellent. This is a beautiful ship, very extravagent decor and clean, clean, clean. There was not a time I would walk from one end of the ship to the other and not see at least 5 people cleaning something.

If you go on-board looking to find things to complain about, you will find them and you will have a miserable time and write up a negative review for all to see. If you go with the intent to have a great time no matter what, you will do just that.

Embarkation:

Smooth as silk. The only delay was when checking in, the person at the counter spent 10 minutes giving us her opinion of the ports of call and excursions we had selected. This was great information and gave a wonderful first impression of the staff we would encounter on our voyage. From the time the taxi dropped us off at the pier to arrival at our stateroom was less than 20 minutes. Our bags arrived in our cabin less than 1/2 hour later.

Credit Card registration:

Ok, here they could improve. Long line, but moved along smoothly. I guess we could have registered on day 2, but we choose to get it over with early.

Excursion desk:

There almost always was a line at the excursion desk. Don't bother standing in line if you already know what excursions you want. There is an excursion form in your cabin, just fill it out and drop it in the box at the excursion desk...done!!! If you have questions about your excursion, then you need to wait in the line, but it moves quickly.

Guest Services desk:

There was lines there the 1st day, but after that, you went directly to a person to help you.

Main Dining Hall:

Somehow we were assigned 2nd seating for dinner, which was too late for me, I am not the night owl I used to be. On the 1st night, we requested 1st seating, but was told we would need to be put on a waiting list. Before dinner on day 2 we received our table number for 1st seating, no problems.

Food:

The food was good and cooked to order. I would rate some of the dishes as "excellent", but everything was enjoyable and delivered hot and was appealing to the eye as well as the stomach. Service was a little slow, but I accepted this as running on "island time"..and didn't mind at all. We very much enjoyed the company of our tablemates.

Buffett/Free style dining:

Great selection of foods, from the pasta bar, pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs, subs, fries, even veggie burgers. Never any lines and very pleasant staff.

Drinks:

Free flowing drinks include coffee, decaf coffee, tea, iced tea, orange juice, pineapple juice, hot and cold water. Ice machine was always empty but they kept a cooler on the drink stations filled with ice. If you like non-alcoholic drinks, buy the "girls and boys" card for $35 which gives you 20 drinks from soda, bottled water to virgin pina coladas and other fruity drinks, complete with paper umbrella.

Stateroom and room steward:

Excellent, I could swear the steward was hiding in the closet and everytime we left the room, he made the bed or changed the towels. Room was very comfortable, stylish and efficient. Hot water and pressure was never a problem. Stewards all have pagers, just press the button on the phone and he either calls or shows up at your door within a minute.

Entertainment:

Main theater shows were entertaining, not great, but kept your attention and you walked way glad you came. There was one night with professional entertainers doing acrobatics and juggling..this was A+++. A few of the lounge performers had their night on the big stage, which was also very nice. Do not miss the toga night and passenger talent show!!! The theater and stage was more high-tech than I have ever seen. Lounge acts were good, I especially enjoyed the violin and piano at one of the lounges.

Disembarkation:

This is never a pleasant process on any cruise I have been on. On this cruise there were several meeting places and time set-up based on colored luggage tags. Breakfast was served early with plenty of time to make final checks of your room. It was less than 15 minutes from our meeting time until we were at the door to exit the ship. Bars were open and staff was just as helpful and friendly as the 1st day. Baggage pickup and customs flowed very smoothly. Taxi service at the terminal needs major help..but out of the context of this review.

Overall opinion..excellent!!!

Best impression: cleanliness of the ship, selection of foods, tile work in the decor

Needs improvement: Information announced while waiting for shore excursions

Thank you BobBob!

We have had the same great experience on board of the Atlantica! I could not agree more with you, that if you read some of those negative reviews are probably from those people who have to complain about something, regardless where they go or stay. For some people the glass is half empty, for some it is half full, that's just the way it is. If for whatever reason the food is not "acceptable" to them, everything is bad and needs to be complained about.

And actually we had such a great time, that we go on Atlantica's sister ship, the Costa Mediterranea on January 30, 2005!

Way to go Costa, you got me captured as a repeat customer!

BoB, I too was on the Atlantica over the past week and I have to agree with you on all accounts. The cruise was wonderful. One of the best I have had. I have done about 12 cruises on different lines... Carnival, Celebrity, Noregian and Royal. The food, service and entertainment were great. My group of 6 ladies had a blast, we had PS catagory cabins and we were all very impressed with the amount of space and beauty of the decor. The food in the dinning room, on deck, at the buffets and in the Club Atlantica was great, better IMO than most cruise fare. Yes I did have some things that were not so good, but I think that I would not have liked them no matter were they were prepared. I really enjoyed the seafood and steak entrees. I did speak to people who did not enjoy the food and they felt that Carnival was better, but to each his own, I don't agree. I also loved the crew with their Italian flair and language tips, that was fun. I also took the Italian language lessions and we had a blast. The Spa was good very pretty and laid out well. Like most lines it's Stiener so if you have done other ships treatments then expect the same. Embarkation and debarkation was smooth.

I had a partially obstructed balcony cabin on Deck 5. It was not bad at all. There was no problem seeing the horizon and you can see the waterline of the ship between the life boats. The life boats were obstructing the view below the level of the handrail.

CruisenChic:

Thanks for the info! I was just curious in how far the mid ship cabin was roomier or not. We are booked in an aft PS on deck 5, cabin # 5266.

As per information from several other forum members and also from Costa, those cabins are the same size (approx. 270 sqft.), but have an enormous balcony (277 sqft.) compared to the mid-ship PS. I really like the thoughts of an oversized balcony...

I'll post another detailed review after we return...

Archived