Just Back from Eli's Tour

daneicy80

This is from an excerpt from my review of our Constellation cruise 3/5-3/12.

For Antigua we reserved the Eco-Tour offered by Adventure Antigua (Eli Fuller) about 1 month before the cruise, which was good since Eli took only 24 passengers and was fully booked (though his boat had a 50 person capacity). This appears to be a favorite tour of many cruise critic members, and with good reason. We started with a tour viewing some of the popular beaches. After sighting a whale, we detoured out towards the Atlantic to get a better look but never saw anything but a few spouts. Eli told us about a very interesting marine conservation program run by the University of Georgia which monitors the nesting of sea turtles. We then toured some mangroves, which are threatened with development by a rich Texan. We stopped at Bird Island and took a walk through some grassy areas, then up a fairly steep and rocky trail to the top of the island for a wonderful view of the Atlantic and Antigua. We then lunched on some awesome barbecue chicken, pasta salad, fried plantain, and banana bread. During lunch we saw quite a few young sea turtles surface for air. Our next stop was at Hell’s Gate where we had the option to snorkel close to the boat, follow Tony out for snorkeling over a reef on the Atlantic side, or climbing through a cave on Hell’s Gate. Three of my group opted for the cave, which was fantastic. The tour involved a short swim from the boat to the small island, then fairly steep climbs and descents over jagged rock formations. Definitely not for everyone, but the views inside and outside were awesome. The other of our group snorkeled with Tony. He said the seas were a bit rough, but they were able to see quite a few fish. Our last stop was for some snorkeling in a nice calm cove. You had the option for a long tour with Tony to a shorter tour with Ebby. Saw several colorful fish. On the way back we enjoyed some rum punch. This was a great tour, though you do spend most of the time on the boat. Also, if you are one of those unlimited rum punch at 9:00 am persons, forget it. Eli served some delicious fruit juices early, soft drinks at lunch, then rum punch only after the snorkeling.

Eli's group checks this when you book. We had a couple from the Norwegian ship in port the same day, which left about an hour before us. He made sure we were back in time for them, which was just before 4:00. Just make sure he knows when you get on the boat.

I have a 9:00 departure for Eli's tour and would like to know when we get back. Has anyone gone at 9:00? I'm concerened about getting back on time at 4:00.

Thanks.

Jane,

I went with Eli from the Serenade last week. The Serenade changes its schedule every other week, so they alternate leaving Antigua at 4pm or 5:30pm, depending on the itinerary for that week. Because of this strange schedule, Adventure Antigua has decided that for now, whenever they are taking people from the Serenade, the tour will go 9am - 3:15pm. When I first signed up for the Eco Tour, the schedule was 10am - 4:15pm, but I got an email that it was now 9am to accommodate the Serenade's early departure.

Hope that helps!

By the way - we had a blast and would recommend it highly! It was my first time snorkeling and they did a good job instructing me in what to do and making me feel comfortable.

Have fun!

Debbi

Debbi,

Thank you so much for that information. I was wondering why the departure time was 4! My documents said 4 yet the web said 5:30 whick is what I looked at when I booked this. I have e-mailed them and I'm waiting for a response.

So glad to hear you had fun!! I can't wait to go.

Thanks.

Jane

Jane,

Sounds like you're on the Serenade also?

The scheduled ports for the Serenade had been:

St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados

However, something happened to one of the berths at the port of St. Lucia, so they cannot accommodate so many ships at once. So now, the scheduled ports (every other week) are:

St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia

On the weeks they go Antigua to Barbados, they leave the Antigua port at 4pm since they have further to travel.

Hope that helps clear it up!

Debbi

Debbie,

Thanks so much for clearing that up. I thought I was going crazy!

Everything looks good for times for both Eli's and Silver Moon. I'm so ready. We need it!!

Thanks again.

We were on Eli's tour last week and it was a very nice day. They review at the beginning of this thread adequately sums up the experience. A couple things I will add it that the group that opted to snorkel instead of go through the tunnel at Hell's Gate evidently saw an octopuss as they got out to the Atlantic. Knowing that, I wish I had opted for the snorkeling.

Eli was also upset because he spotted some immigrants that had casted a large net (can't remember the name he used) over the area we were to do our snorkeling later in the day. He got on his communication system and later we saw them taking their net away. We saw multiple turtles and some flying fish and stingrays. He is a very interesting guide and cute also. His lunch was very yummy. One recommendation is that if you book this tour, make sure you are early at the meeting point because he has you board right on time and then leaves without knowing who is and who is not on board. If you are even a minute late, you might as well forget it.

Vicki

We were thinking of booking Eli's tour but are concerned about the time it takes to get off the ship. We will be on the Golden Princess and the ship is scheduled to dock at 9 AM. Eli has a 9:50 boarding time with a 10AM sail.

Do we have to clear customs at Antigua? Would I be pushing the time line to hope I can meet Eli's departure schedule?

My husband and I are on the Golden 4/17/2005 and we booked this trip with Eli. When I asked about the times they responded that we should have no problem getting to the tour boat by 9:50 as it wasn't far from the ship. Maybe we'll see you there!!

Carol

• 1 month later...

Archived