Copenhahen hotels

Nerr

We will be staying 3 nights in Copenhagen prior to a cruise on the Emerald Princess in September.....Any favorite hotels ? We would like to be right in the middle of the city, as close to everything as possible...:confused:

We will be staying 3 nights in Copenhagen prior to a cruise on the Emerald Princess in September.....Any favorite hotels ? We would like to be right in the middle of the city, as close to everything as possible...:confused:

Hey Nerr... are you on the September 3rd or the September 13th sailing?

We're on the September 13th sailing, and we're staying at The Square hotel. It's located in the middle of the main square in copenhagen, but the prices are reasonably good, and you couldn't get more central.

The only negative I've heard about it is that the rooms are rather small, a condition most of Europe seems to suffer from!

We have booked a Deluxe Junior Suite there because we don't like small rooms, and it's a reasonable size. It's also costing us less than it would staying across the way at the Hotel d'angleterre (formerly a Sheraton) in a smaller room.

I would suggest looking at an executive room there if you want something larger and more airy at that property. A bit cheaper than a junior suite, but lots of light.

Their website is http://www.thesquarecopenhagen.com

If you're on the same cruise as us, we'll see you there! Have you listed on the roll call yet?

Copenhagen is a walking city, so you can almost stay anywhere. I recommend the Marriott; great hotel in a good location and you can walk anywhere in a few minutes. We did last September.

Yes, I agree. The Marriott was the other hotel we were looking at booking.

The Square won out because people said while it was in a good location it was still a bit of a walk to get to the "main" part of town.

I guess it depends on how lazy you are! We're lazy!

We did the Marriott as well last summer prior to going on the Crown to the Baltic. We got the club level which included nightly appetizers and breakfast. This proved to be a great value as food was very expensive e.g. ice cream cones were $8.00 a piece. Have a great time.

I liked the Kong Frederik very much -- it's right across from the Town Hall and Tivoli, and just two blocks from the head of Stroget. It has a lovely covered central courtyard, a very nice small bar/restaurant (never ate there but did enjoy a nightcap every evening in the bar), and the staff is quite nice (except for one woman, but she got fired halfway through my stay, so you'll be safe from her!). The decor is very pretty inside, a mix of Edwardian country-house and nautical touches. My room was smallish, but had very ample closet space and a very spacious bathroom. I highly recommend it.

I'll second The Square, where we stayed a couple of years back. Great location, Strogen starts right across the town square. And the pickup location for the bus tours is also right across the square. The amusement park Tivoli, is right around the corner and the rain station is easily walked to.

They have a really good buffet for breakfast at the top of the hotel. Rooms are furnished in typical Scandanavian decor, but it meets the needs. Bathrooms were plenty big enough and very modern.

The warning about the bike lanes is seroius, they take their biking serious, but it is a hoot to watch them snag the free local papers as they ride by.

We did the Marriott as well last summer prior to going on the Crown to the Baltic. We got the club level which included nightly appetizers and breakfast. This proved to be a great value as food was very expensive e.g. ice cream cones were $8.00 a piece. Have a great time.

Yes, we were wishing we were regulars at Marriotts for this reason, I've heard the club level is very worth it there, but we'd want to be able to use points, because it's rather expensive even for regular rooms there, much less club rooms!

But our preferred hotel chain is Starwood (Sheraton), so we were planning to stay at d'Angleterre on points, then lo and behold, when we rang them to book we found out they will no longer own the hotel by the time we stay there! It is reverting to a Scandic Hotels property, and Starwood points obviously can't be used!

Hi, we are also heading out on the Emerald Princess on Sept 13 and will stay overnight in Hotel Christian IV. A young friend who lives in Copenhagen looked at it and thought that it looked good and that it was close to most things. I do not expect it to be like one of the large chain hotels but hope that it will have some Danish charm. We are looking forward to this cruise and ports of call. If anyone has any special shore excursions they would like to recommend we would welcome the advice.:)

If anyone has any special shore excursions they would like to recommend we would welcome the advice.:)

Well, nice to meet you Bayswater! It's going to be a fun cruise. What type of cabin do you have? I hear all the AA and AB mini-suites are fully booked now. We're in D332, a mini-suite on port side.

I'm sure the hotel your friends picked out will be nice. I've heard of it but that's probably because we did an awful lot of investigation before booking! I think a lot of the smaller, boutique hotels in Copenhagen look good and will have that old world charm... and if you like Danish breakfasts with cold cuts, etc., the breakfast will be quite good too.. most places include breakfast anyway.

There are 6 of us going on the cruise: Me and my husband, my parents and two friends of my parents. We live in Australia, but my parents and their friends live in California.

We have already booked a 6 passenger private tour with DenRus in St Petersburg, I didn't want to chance missing out on exactly what we wanted!

Other than that, I suspect my husband and I will generally just putz around the port cities independently, as we like to take in the local flavour, shop, eat, etc., more than seeing a bunch of tourist sights!

We are looking at a company that does Segway Tours in Stockholm. We did a Segway tour in Vienna last year and loved it so much that my husband bought a Segway! There is a 2.5 hour tour that goes all over the place, and it's a great way to see a town like Stockholm without getting too tired walking!

Anyway, we can look forward to the cruise together! Have you signed up on the Roll Call page yet?

Many thanks to everyone for all the info regarding places to stay while in Copenhagen...We are newly retired, this is just our fourth cruise, and this is my first time with 'Cruise Critic'...I am SO impressed at how quickly and how much info is out there from folks who have actually been there done that ! Our cruise on the Emerald Princess leaves Copenhagen on September 23, it's called "Iceland, Greenland, British Isles, Transatlantic."

Has anyone done this before ? Love to hear from you :)

If you are interested in the Marriott, take a look at biddingfortravel.com and see if the Marriott is still the only four star hotel on Priceline. We got a GREAT deal there last summer. Also look at the port boards for additional bidding information.

Go to Priceline and bid for the Marriott,. Super hotel with a convenient location if you are a good walker. We spent five days here prior to a wonderful baltic vacation.

Tips: Get to the lobby for the complimentary coffee in the morning.

We paid $125 last year for our winning priceline bid. Well worth it.

I am going to Copenhagen in early August on the Emerald Princess. I was researching hotels and wanted to stay at a 4 star hotel. I did something for the first time. I went onto Priceline.com. recently. Yes, I bid $125 a night and received the Marriott Hotel. I will be staying there for 2 nights. Taxed were not included in the cost. My venturesome attitude was rewarded with a real bargain. --This might be worth the chance.===Safety

We stayed at the Adina Apartment Hotel several years ago. It was fairly close to the port but not close to the downtown area--in a new area that was being developed on the water front. We took public transportation- a bus--to the downtown area, but there was a train station about 1/2 mile away--very convenient to get places.

We stayed at the Adina Apartment Hotel several years ago. It was fairly close to the port but not close to the downtown area--in a new area that was being developed on the water front. We took public transportation- a bus--to the downtown area, but there was a train station about 1/2 mile away--very convenient to get places.

Yeah, we actually looked into Adina too. It gets good ratings on Tripadvisor, and I really like having a kitchen and laundry available when you can.

The only thing that killed it for us was its location, because it was rather far from things.

Archived