sightseeing pre & post cruise

sandian

Hi

Will be in Newark early afternoon day before cruise staying at Newark Airport Renaissance Hotel. And have a day room booked post cruise before evening flight. Would love to see The Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty. Realise our time is short but want to make the most of what we have.

Also any thoughts on what transport to use.

Thanks in advance for any help

Sandra

Could you give us the exact dates you will be in Newark as well as more details about your arrival and departure times? Are you flying in from the UK? The Statue of Liberty may be tough. Do you actually want to go out to Liberty Island? The Empire State is now open until 2 am, so that should be doable.

Could you give us the exact dates you will be in Newark as well as more details about your arrival and departure times? Are you flying in from the UK? The Statue of Liberty may be tough. Do you actually want to go out to Liberty Island? The Empire State is now open until 2 am, so that should be doable.

Dates are 6.3.2010 and 19.3.2010 flying into newark from london. Love to stay in NY longer but not to be so any suggestions would be helpful. Dont have exact times as yet but lets say we can be ready to head to manhattan at 3.00pm on the 6th and from 11.00am on the 19th to be back at airport for say 6.00pm.

Thanks

Sandra

Thanks

sandra

you get great views of the statue of liberty from the FREE Staten Island Ferry. It doesn't take you to Liberty Island but you do go past the lady herself. It runs approx every 1/2 hour. also consider Top of the Rock instead of the Empire States Building. It takes less time to get to the top and you get views of the ESB. Just google top of the rock for lots of info.

I like Binkysmom's suggestions for folks on a tight time schedule. However, let me offer some other options. The day you arrive is really the best day to do the ESB. From your hotel in Newark, take your hotel shuttle to the P4 airtrain stop and take the airtrain to Newark Airport Station to get the train to NY. This will cost you $15/pp each way. Once in NY you can easily walk to ESB as well as Macy's and Times Square. I know this is pricey, so if you want a more budget, but more time consuming alternative, please let me know.

The day you disembark is your day for the SOL. Is is possible you could self-disembark? This would probably get you off the ship by 8:30 am. Take a cab to your hotel, drop your luggage, and go back to P4 and the airtrain, but this time purchasing a ticket to Newark Station (less money). At Newark station, take the Path train to New York and either walk, take the subway or take a cab to South Ferry for the ferry to the SOL. If you want to do anything more than wander around Liberty Island, you need to look at the SOL web site http://www.nps.gov/stli/ and decide what might work best for your time schedule. This will be a Friday, so you could easily be back at the airport by 6 pm leaving NY by 4:30 pm. It's too bad that there is no reasonable alternative for your luggage other than a day room or renting a car. I don't know how you feel about driving on the right side of the road, but renting a car would allow you to store your luggage and drive to Liberty State Park in NJ to access the SOL. Let me know if this is something you would consider. After 3 days at sea you will be ready for some activity, so renting a car instead of a day room might be an option.

Where are you from in Wales? We were there for 2 days many years ago. My maiden name is Evans, which I'm sure means my ancestor were from Wales.

I like Binkysmom's suggestions for folks on a tight time schedule. However, let me offer some other options. The day you arrive is really the best day to do the ESB. From your hotel in Newark, take your hotel shuttle to the P4 airtrain stop and take the airtrain to Newark Airport Station to get the train to NY. This will cost you $15/pp each way. Once in NY you can easily walk to ESB as well as Macy's and Times Square. I know this is pricey, so if you want a more budget, but more time consuming alternative, please let me know.

The day you disembark is your day for the SOL. Is is possible you could self-disembark? This would probably get you off the ship by 8:30 am. Take a cab to your hotel, drop your luggage, and go back to P4 and the airtrain, but this time purchasing a ticket to Newark Station (less money). At Newark station, take the Path train to New York and either walk, take the subway or take a cab to South Ferry for the ferry to the SOL. If you want to do anything more than wander around Liberty Island, you need to look at the SOL web site http://www.nps.gov/stli/ and decide what might work best for your time schedule. This will be a Friday, so you could easily be back at the airport by 6 pm leaving NY by 4:30 pm. It's too bad that there is no reasonable alternative for your luggage other than a day room or renting a car. I don't know how you feel about driving on the right side of the road, but renting a car would allow you to store your luggage and drive to Liberty State Park in NJ to access the SOL. Let me know if this is something you would consider. After 3 days at sea you will be ready for some activity, so renting a car instead of a day room might be an option.

Where are you from in Wales? We were there for 2 days many years ago. My maiden name is Evans, which I'm sure means my ancestor were from Wales.

Thanks so much for your help, I just wish we could stay longer both yourself and binkysmum are being so generous with your time and suggestions. I will look into all although I dont think driving is an option. We are actually from Scotland originally but now live in Fishguard South West Wales, you are right with a name like Evans you definately have Welsh blood lucky you

Archived