Currency advice needed in Baltic, esp Russia

Hia

I think we have decided to get a little currency for a few of the countries we are 'doing it ourselves'. Not alot just enough for coffee, a cake etc. I guess the exchange rate will be better in Uk, than on the ship.

Does anyone else do this? Ive read people just take Euros?

Also - in Russia as we are doing the ship excursions will we need any money? Are we provided with anything - drinks etc? Im going to take a couple of water bottles to refill on the ship and take with us ( I presume we can do this).

Thanks.

Helen.:D

Hi Helen,

We've only ever taken euros with us (on 3 visits) and only once came unstuck in a book shop in St P - but that was resolved by paying by Credit Card (no rip -off, standard exchange rate).

We've bought stamps, postcards, canal trips, coffees, souvenirs, admission to City Hall, Stockholm etc. using only Euros. You will find most places price up in euros as well as local currency and we've not thought it's been too bad. For the small items we've bought, the extra they may have as 'mark up' for euros is insignificant and if you set that against being left with multiple amounts of small change in a number of different currencies I think it's probably more economical in the long run. We paid to go in the Vasa by credit card to conserve our Euros. Street traders in and around the Hermitage and other sites in Russia offer guide books, souvenirs etc. in $, £ and Euros. Here, we actually used £'s as it was a better deal then Euros - if you get Roubles and don't spend it you won't be able to off-load it anywhere else.

You won't need any money when on the ship's trips except for any souvenirs etc you may wish to buy (unless you want to give the guide a small tip if he/she has been very good - but then they'll take any currency you offer).

You can fill up your water bottle at the free dispenser - but not directly by putting the bottle top under the dispenser (for hygiene reasons - there are notices specifically requesting passengers do not do this) but there's nothing to stop you filling a glass of water and decanting it into your water bottle. You won't be provided with any refreshments unless it is advertised as part of your trip (some e.g. in the Caribbean often give you free rum- based drinks - hic!). Full day trips usually include lunch, but is reflected in the price.

Archived