BOSS Underwater Adventure - Nonswimmers?

Newbcruiser1

After having my zip-lining cancelled by RCI and having to cancel my sealion splash due to itinerary changes I am looking for an exciting excursion to book.

I know this question sounds pathetic, but I hope someone can help us out... My friend and I are both non-swimmers, but we are looking at the BOSS Underwater Adventure. Are there any non-swimmers out there that have taken this tour? Is it difficult to try to get on and off the scooter without being able to swim (or see underwater, for that matter!). I know that you also have the chance to snorkel before and after - would we be able to snorkel without the ability to float or swim? How good are those vests?! :o

Thanks in advance!

We are looking at this tour for October. While the swimming part is not an issue for us, we would love to hear feedback from anyone who has done this tour. Did you see a lot of underwater wildlife? Did you feel it was worth the money? Thanks.

Here is my review from last month. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sherry

Hi! We just got off the Crown Princess yesterday and did the BOSS last week. It was great! You do have to swim a short distance from the swim platform at the back of the boat to the scooter - maybe about 30 - 40 feet. I am sure they would bring one in closer for your wife if you asked them. To access the scooter you have to pop your head the under water only a few inches and up into the helmet, then manuever your back end on the the seat. There is a diver right there if you need any assistance. The scooter is attached to a large buoy, once you are situated, the diver loosens the buoy to eight feet and slowly descends your scooter. While doing this you have to put your hand up into the helmet to pinch your nose and blow to ease the ear pressure. Once everyone is ready, you play follow the leader with the divers. You only have to apply a small amount of pressure on the thumb throttle to proceed and it is very to steer. Many of us were steering to hard and it was hilarious to see everone zigzagging back and forth trying to stay in line!

You are never more than eight feet down, but the helmets make you think you are way down there. The divers both desecend and ascend your scooter, so really all you have to do is get on the scooter, drive the scooter, and get off the scooter. They they take you in groups of 12-15 and while another group is on the scooters you can swim and snorkel. We saw tons of fish and the water was beautiful.

Don't forget an underwater camera! You can pick a disposable Kodak at Target/Walmart for less than $10. They do make stops and the divers will take your pictures with your own camera. A very nice change from other excusions where they take your picture and they charge you another $10-20 for it.

Captain Jim and his crew are the best. They are so funny and make it such a good time, but always have your safety #1.

We did the boss underwater scooters on the CB two years ago. We had a great experience. They are very accomodating, as my daughter was 10 yrs old and has vision problems. They were very good with her and she was scooting around better than me!!! Also she had trouble with the pressure so they just brought her up a little bit and she was fine. Dont hesitate to ask for help. We really had a great time.

Have fun!!!!

Archived