Mexican Riviera **~ SWINE FLU PORT CHANGES ~**

bobnsofi

OK, read it and weep.

We are all going to the great white north, or not going at all.

I imagine that all lines/ships are going to follow this lead for 7 day cruises to the Mexican Riviera, FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE!

April 29, 2009

Dear Carnival Guest:

We will cancel and replace the scheduled Mexican Riviera itinerary with visits to San

Francisco, Victoria and Seattle on the Carnival Splendor May 3, 2009 departure. Guests that

sail on this cruise will receive a $75 per person onboard credit.

We know you will enjoy your cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Splendor. However, if this

itinerary change is not acceptable to you we ask that you contact as soon as possible. We

will provide a future cruise credit in the amount you paid for this cruise and you can sail with

us anytime prior to December 31, 2010. Please understand that refunds will not be

provided.

Most importantly, we are looking forward to welcoming you aboard the Carnival Splendor.

The Captain, officers, staff and crew are dedicated to providing you with a fun and

memorable vacation.

Best Regards,

Lynn C. Torrent

Senior Vice President of Sales and Guest Services

Carnival Cruise Lines

OK, it appears we are going for the Future Cruise Credit option for our 5/10/09 sailing; as we are not in the mood to bring umbrellas and wool sweaters to sip coffee in Seattle, San Francisco and Vancouver; and I can just imagine the passenger mood at the chilly poolside as everyone complains about the changes.

I just talked a friend of mine who said his ship turned around today and went to San Francisco... he was bummed! No one on the ship has gotten sick, but they didn't want to take any chances. They did go to PV and Cabo, but skipped Mazatlan.

Funny thing is there are more confirmed cases of swine flu in central California than all of the ports in the Mexican Riviera combined.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=p&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&ll=32.639375,-110.390625&spn=15.738151,25.488281&z=5

Of course, all the ports in the Mexican Riviera combined is ZERO. Meanwhile, the cruise ships sail out of LA and San Diego, each of which have confirmed cases, and where it is now suspected the swine flu may have originated. Yep, better cancel all the ports of call in Mexico for the next month, and sail to places that actually do have swine flu. Makes a lot of sense.

Funny thing is there are more confirmed cases of swine flu in central California than all of the ports in the Mexican Riviera combined.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=p&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&ll=32.639375,-110.390625&spn=15.738151,25.488281&z=5

Of course, all the ports in the Mexican Riviera combined is ZERO. Meanwhile, the cruise ships sail out of LA and San Diego, each of which have confirmed cases, and where it is now suspected the swine flu may have originated. Yep, better cancel all the ports of call in Mexico for the next month, and sail to places that actually do have swine flu. Makes a lot of sense.

I don't get this either. Seems a little strange.

Looking back over the past week, I think this whole swine flu thing has been way over-blown. We can thank the CDC for that. I am glad I got to go the week before all this started to come down, otherwise I would be really hacked off. We planned this vacation to be somewhere that is warm, not somewhere that is cool and possibly raining this time of year. San Francisco was a poor alternative for this weeks cruisers on the Splendor...especially since so many come from CA and could do SF anytime they wanted without the added costs of a cruise. And if you are a conservative, going to SF is about the same as going to hell. It was hard enough to plan this vacation together for the GF and I a year in advance...and trying to get the amount of time it takes for us to go on a 7 day cruise off again (including another 3-4 days of travel to and from the port) would not have been an ordeal that I would want to go through with our schedules being what they are. I think CCL should have offered to refund the entire amount rather than just give credit towards a future cruise that may be impossible for some to book, especially if they have to travel far to get to a port. And what about the costs of the travel and hotels to get to and from the port? I am sure there are others in the same boat that we would have been in. I guess this is why we buy travel insurance in the first place, but that is a poor alternative to not being able to go on a vacation that you planned so long for, and spent so much time doing so.

I feel very sorry for those that were on the Splendor this week...especially since there has not been an outbreak in the MR thus far. Like I said, this whole thing was a total over-reaction.

yes way too little for what we spent to get here- at least future cruisers get an option - we don't and 1 port stop only is NOT Good enough to compensate,

I wish we'd never booked in the first place in hindsight - its been along BOring trip as I don't gamble or drink heavy

Firstly, I don't honestly think you are a source of reliable, unbiased information, as you own a business that relies on tourism, and when you make comments like the one above, you lose even more credibility in my eyes. That said, would you please provide a citation regarding the suspicion that swine flu originated in LA or SD?

Secondly, simply because there are no reported cases of H1N1 in the Mex Riv does not mean there are no cases. I'm sure you understand the difficulty in identifying cases if no one goes to the doctor, or if the doctor doesn't test, or if the sample is now in a queue somewhere awaiting testing.

Firstly, I don't honestly think you are a source of reliable, unbiased information, as you own a business that relies on tourism, and when you make comments like the one above, you lose even more credibility in my eyes. That said, would you please provide a citation regarding the suspicion that swine flu originated in LA or SD?

Secondly, simply because there are no reported cases of H1N1 in the Mex Riv does not mean there are no cases. I'm sure you understand the difficulty in identifying cases if no one goes to the doctor, or if the doctor doesn't test, or if the sample is now in a queue somewhere awaiting testing.

Happy to. In addition the source I already gave, used by the WHO (where I found it) and news agencies like the Associated Press, among others, I can provide you with even more if you like. I'm sorry if reporting facts instead of hype makes me lose credibility in your eyes. I wish I could win you back, but I feel it is important to keep these discussions factual for everyone's sake.

SWINE FLU MAY HAVE ORIGINATED IN CALIFORNIA

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518572,00.html

Not that it matters where it started - there are now 24 confirmed cases in California, vs. 0 in Baja California Sur (where Cabo is). Seems the cruise lines would rather be Politically Correct than take their passengers to the safest areas.

Here are some other related articles if you're interested:

5/02/09 - Mexican officals say flu's ability to spread may be low

5/02/09 - Scope of swine flu in Mexico might be smaller than feared

5/02/09 - Hope aired as swine flu virus seen as less lethal

5/01/09 - H1N1 (swine flu) risk in Puerto Vallarta: Hype vs. Reality

5/01/09 - Swine flu virus starting to look less threatening

5/01/09 - Mexico Sees Swine Flu Outbreak Easing

5/01/09 - Swine Flu May Have Originated in California

5/01/09 - Mexican flu outbreak may be mild

5/01/09 - WHO: No rationale for travel restrictions

5/01/09 - Mexico encouraged by fall in new flu cases

5/01/09 - Swine flu a fairly mild strain, doctors say

5/01/09 - Hyping swine flu may not be healthy

4/30/09 - Number of new swine flu cases stabilizing in Mexico

and the official WHO statement (from their website - didn't make this up)

No rationale for travel restrictions

1 May 2009

WHO is not recommending travel restrictions related to the outbreak of the influenza A(H1N1) virus. Today, international travel moves rapidly, with large numbers of individuals visiting various parts of the world. Limiting travel and imposing travel restrictions would have very little effect on stopping the virus from spreading, but would be highly disruptive to the global community.

Influenza A(H1N1) has already been confirmed in many parts of the world. The focus now is on minimizing the impact of the virus through the rapid identification of cases and providing patients with appropriate medical care, rather than on stopping its spread internationally. Furthermore, although identifying the signs and symptoms of influenza in travellers can be an effective monitoring technique, it is not effective in reducing the spread of influenza as the virus can be transmitted from person to person before the onset of symptoms. Scientific research based on mathematical modelling indicates that restricting travel will be of limited or no benefit in stopping the spread of disease. Historical records of previous influenza pandemics, as well as experience with SARS, have validated this point.

Travellers can protect themselves and others by following simple recommendations related to travel aimed at preventing the spread of infection. Individuals who are ill should delay travel plans and returning travellers who fall ill should seek appropriate medical care. These recommendations are prudent measures which can limit the spread of many communicable diseases and not only influenza A(H1N1).

Archived