What are you gong to do? Go on your Cruise? OR ???

bobnsofi

What will you do? Cruise anyway? or????

Boy, the mood has really changed on our favorite travel pastime. We are scheduled for Carnival Splendor 5/10/09. Instead of Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas, it appears, in all likelihood, the Splendor is sailing to San Francisco, Seattle, and Vancouver.

Our initial thought is to pass, and go for the Future Cruise Credit option for our 5/10/09 sailing; as we are not in the mood to bring umbrellas and wool sweaters to sip coffee in Seattle, San Francisco and Vancouver; and I can just imagine the passenger mood at the chilly poolside as everyone complains about the changes, on a ship with hardly anyone aboard.

Below is a link of the current cruise updates

What will you do?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3199

What will you do? Cruise anyway? or????

Boy, the mood has really changed on our favorite travel pastime. We are scheduled for Carnival Splendor 5/10/09. Instead of Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas, it appears, in all likelihood, the Splendor is sailing to San Francisco, Seattle, and Vancouver.

Our initial thought is to pass, and go for the Future Cruise Credit option for our 5/10/09 sailing; as we are not in the mood to bring umbrellas and wool sweaters to sip coffee in Seattle, San Francisco and Vancouver; and I can just imagine the passenger mood at the chilly poolside as everyone complains about the changes, on a ship with hardly anyone aboard.

Below is a link of the current cruise updates

What will you do?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3199

We changed our cruise date. We were set to sail on the Mariner on 5/10. No way in heck are we wanting to cruise up the Pacific in freezing weather. Besides I just bought a whole wardrobe for warm weather cruising. Besides, you're right, there will be nothing but moaning and groaning and my husband would surely be one of them. We rescheduled for next year, 5/10. Wo we have to wait another year, that's ok. Let this give time for this whole flu crap settle down.

Our next one isn't booked until November so hopefully this whole swine thing is done by then...however I booked the next one because of the great price and if I were offered a west coast itinerary and an obc I would take it. Having done Mexico many times (both cruising and driving) our Nov cruise was booked solely based on the great rates we got. Being from AZ. sunshine is not a major factor. I look forward to wearing my seldom utilized winter duds. :p A bad day cruising beats a good day at work. IMHO

Hi Sofi,

Those three ports are beautiful and plenty to do...We cruised that route about 2 years ago in May. I love Victoria and we stayed almost a whole day at the Butchard Garden, beautiful time in May.

I love all three ports...but knowing what I know now...you couldn't even pay me to go that route again. It is very very cold...they closed the deck for the whole 5 days. The kids can't swim due to the wind and cold. Lots of people on board were sick, because of rough sea.

We will be cruising on the Splendor in late August...if by then Carnival changed port...I would definetly cancel. If I am on currently on the Splendor, I would get off in Long Beach...they can keep the money. I don't want to torture my family like that again.

We all lost weight when we return from that cruise.

Our next one isn't booked until November so hopefully this whole swine thing is done by then...however I booked the next one because of the great price and if I were offered a west coast itinerary and an obc I would take it. Having done Mexico many times (both cruising and driving) our Nov cruise was booked solely based on the great rates we got. Being from AZ. sunshine is not a major factor. I look forward to wearing my seldom utilized winter duds. :p A bad day cruising beats a good day at work. IMHO

Not when your sailing in seas with swells over 12 feet or higher up the Northern Pacific. That's the worse type of cruise you would ever want to be on. I'd rather work than sail in that.

Not when your sailing in seas with swells over 12 feet or higher up the Northern Pacific. That's the worse type of cruise you would ever want to be on. I'd rather work than sail in that.

My husband said the seas are bad. Where would you go to find out?

I can't imagine it could be worse then Antartica and rounding Cape Horn, which I found exhilarating.

We are 80 days out from the July 19 Splendor M'n Riviera. We were hemming and hawing that, oh, it will be over by then, let's just take our chances, etc.. then we heard that Norwegian is cancelling until September, (it will be over by then anyway..)--and then we figured: we're 80 days out--we can get a full refund, and when they get it under control we can rebook. We don't want to go to San Franscisco and the cold no'western seaboard, so, it killed me to cancel--but I'm sure by the end of June they'll have it under control. We didn't need to have Carnival hold our $ for a year and a half and be under the gun to use the credit by a certain date....

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting and I am bummed about the reason.......

I'm just looking for advice from seasoned cruisers because my two best friends and I were scheduled to go on Mariner on 6/14. We all turned 40 this year and have been best friends since 10th grade so this was supposed to be a very special trip. Only one of us has been on a cruise before.

Two of us live in Hawaii and the other lives in FL (after she lived in WA for 10 years). We decided to go to Mexico because it meets halfway and because the FL friend can drop her kids off in WA with her mom and then fly down solo to LAX. So obviously we are completely frustrated with the rerouting of Mariner, especially since they are resuming the Mexican Riviera route on 6/21! :mad:

Our airlines will not refund our tickets, but we can pay the change fee $100 each way (lame). RCCL will give us a complete refund obviously, but then we are stuck with nothing for our birthdays until maybe next summer.

I guess my question for you is would you:

1) Go to the frigid, boring Pacific Northwest (where one of us lived, the other did her residency in Portland, and I visited them both at least 15 times). But the $700 OBC is very enticing, plus we get $600 FCC. We also have Jr. Suite 1694 (aft deck 10), which apparently is very good (please tell me if it is not).

2) Pay all the airline change fees and take Jr. Suite 6394 (obstructed view) on 6/21. Doesn't sound that great to me.

3) Try again next year.

Any insight would be appreciated. I'm leaning toward still going but I'm really concerned about the comments others are making about the rough seas and closing the decks. Can I lay by the pool at all? Is $700 OBC (for us probably all alcohol!) worth the disappointment of the destination?

Thank you!

Lauren

I'm scheduled on the August 30th Mariner MR cruise - and if the itineraries do not change back to the MR by then, I'll cancel. I live in Seattle and really don't want to fly from Seattle to L.A. to cruise to Seattle.

I guess your decision should be based on whether you cruise for the ship or for the ports (I cruise for the ports). If you've been to MX many times and you enjoy the ships, then do the new itinerary as a change of pace. There are tons of fun things to do in those ports.

Just dress warm. June in Seattle is not really that cold. This past Friday it was 75 degrees. Tonight a huge winter rain storm is coming for a day, then it'll be nice again. So be prepared for rain (wear a light weight jacket with a hood) and just do the Pike Place Market and waterfront no matter what the weather. Living here, we just don't let the weather get in our way.

I have until June 11th final payment date to decide what to do. I'm hoping with the flu waning in MX, the ships will return to the MR soon.

Good luck with your decisions - Sandy

We just FCC'd our 5/10/09 Splendor cruise last night. Oh well!

Lauren, having thought about it, I think we would GO FOR IT!, and pal around with our pals. You can joke about it for years!

and option 2 is not for sure, and option 3 is not an option

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting and I am bummed about the reason.......

I'm just looking for advice from seasoned cruisers because my two best friends and I were scheduled to go on Mariner on 6/14. We all turned 40 this year and have been best friends since 10th grade so this was supposed to be a very special trip. Only one of us has been on a cruise before.

Two of us live in Hawaii and the other lives in FL (after she lived in WA for 10 years). We decided to go to Mexico because it meets halfway and because the FL friend can drop her kids off in WA with her mom and then fly down solo to LAX. So obviously we are completely frustrated with the rerouting of Mariner, especially since they are resuming the Mexican Riviera route on 6/21! :mad:

Our airlines will not refund our tickets, but we can pay the change fee $100 each way (lame). RCCL will give us a complete refund obviously, but then we are stuck with nothing for our birthdays until maybe next summer.

I guess my question for you is would you:

1) Go to the frigid, boring Pacific Northwest (where one of us lived, the other did her residency in Portland, and I visited them both at least 15 times). But the $700 OBC is very enticing, plus we get $600 FCC. We also have Jr. Suite 1694 (aft deck 10), which apparently is very good (please tell me if it is not).

2) Pay all the airline change fees and take Jr. Suite 6394 (obstructed view) on 6/21. Doesn't sound that great to me.

3) Try again next year.

Any insight would be appreciated. I'm leaning toward still going but I'm really concerned about the comments others are making about the rough seas and closing the decks. Can I lay by the pool at all? Is $700 OBC (for us probably all alcohol!) worth the disappointment of the destination?

Thank you!

Lauren

The Mariner has 3 JS on the 9th deck for the June 21st sailing...we had 9244 once and it is in a great location. Why don't you switch weeks?

Thanks for the help!

We are still holding out for some hope that they will switch back, especially now that Mexico is on orange alert instead of red. We have all agreed that we would still go though, after entertaining yet another idea which was to forget the cruise (gasp!) and go to a resort in Palm Springs or AZ instead. That conversation lasted about 30 seconds haha.

Susan, the RCCL agent only offered me deck 6. I didn't even think to look myself! We can change dates but that is a lot of money wasted (at least $600 in change fees) and the child care situation isn't very flexible for one of us. So changing dates is looking like less and less of an option. But I will definitely take a look at deck 9 just in case.

Thanks again everyone! I'm still clinging on to the hope that we get to be warm.....

Just got off the Mariners of the Seas. I was one of those who had to go to San Francisco without any input (I wished they would have just stayed out at sea in a warmer area)

The seas back from San Francisco to Los Angeles were very rough. Not pleasant.

They gave us $150/total stateroom credit, but I'm reading how people going this week are getting $250 + $100 for 3/4 passangers plus future credit and we weren't offered that. Somehow that doesn't seem very fair, especially considering I paid a higher premium rate to go to the Mexican Riveria. While I understand this whole thing wasn't RCCL fault, I don't understand why they didn't offer me future credit?

Victoria Canada is beautiful toward the end of May, just hope you have better waters! It was so cold and windy most of our cruise that we didn't even get to use the pool or miniature golf!

Happy Sailing!

Hi

We cruised up the coast with princess this time last year and had a ball,

was a bit chillie at night but the action is always inside the ship at night anyway. I tend to get sea sick really easy but didnt get sick once on the coastal cruise to vancouver.

You will really enjoy this trip, What's not to love cruising, its the best way to holiday, have a fantastic time

I think you should go...because if you cancel...your cancellation fee from airline is too much.

Since none of you are going with kid...I think it is okay...maybe have a spa day on a cold and windy sea day. It was hard with kids, since they are all cope up inside and they get bored.

Sea was rough from what I rather reading on this forum and Carnival forum...we would cancel our, because we are traveling with kids, but we are also local here in Long Beach...so no flight to consider.

I hope you have a great vacation...just the thought of all the best friends get together and share stories sound so much fun and memorable.

We'll be sailing on the Splendor on July 19, no matter what.

It looks as if the swine flu thing will be over by then, but even if it isn't, we're going to sail the Pacific NW itinerary. We're choosing to do that for two reasons, the first being that we've already bought airline tickets into and out of California. The airline won't let us change that. Secondly, well, my DH and I live in South Florida. For us, some cooler weather and all that scenery will be a nice change of pace. I've never been to Washington, Oregon or Canada. I'll take it.

But I can certainly understand why someone on the West Coast--particularly people who LIVE in Seattle--wouldn't want to take that cruise.

We're facing a similar problem with our Imagination sailing in June...we could potentially be visiting Key West and Nassau. We've been to both of those ports more often than we can count...and I've visited Key West practically yearly. That itinerary does not interest us AT ALL. But we're stuck with it because both of us have already requested the time off at work and it's really hard for us to switch those around :(

We'll be sailing on the Splendor on July 19, no matter what.

It looks as if the swine flu thing will be over by then, but even if it isn't, we're going to sail the Pacific NW itinerary.

But I can certainly understand why someone on the West Coast--particularly people who LIVE in Seattle--wouldn't want to take that cruise.

We too are on the same cruise as you. We live one hour driving distance from Long Beach. We will continue on the cruise regardless of the ports. We are looking for a vacation and anywhere on a ship is better than being at home. We will probably be going to Mexico but if not will make the best of it in Canada.... Having never visited there it does intrigue me and the kids. The only thing I am now a bit worries about it the prices will be dropping lots based on people cancelling and the people who now book will receive a much lower rate than we did. Today is the day I have to pay in full.... Will they do anything for us if the rates drop lots for newly booking people? Maybe OBC? I am not looking for freebies but since I did book and didn't cancel I feel I should be receiving te same prices as those who book last minute. Maybe I am wishing for to much..

Either way we will be on the Splendor on July 19th for a 7 night cruise where ever the ship takes us....

Archived