Another passenger missing off of a Carnival Ship

MGoBlue2

Coast Guard Calls Off Passenger Search

SAN DIEGO (AP) - The Coast Guard called off a search Sunday for a cruise ship passenger believed to have fallen overboard.

The cruise ship passenger - a 37-year-old woman whose name was not released - is believed to have fallen into the Pacific Ocean about 30 miles west of Ensenada, Mexico, said Petty Officer Robert Lanier, a Coast Guard spokesman.

A search was canceled after rescue crews scoured the area for nearly 16 hours, the Coast Guard said.

The Coast Guard received a call from Carnival Corp.'s Carnival Pride ship at 1 a.m. Sunday, three hours after the woman failed to report for dinner, Lanier said. No one saw her fall overboard.

The ship - which runs a 7-day cruise along Mexico's Pacific coast - docked Sunday in Long Beach.

The FBI was investigating, said spokeswoman Cathy Viray.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?&flok=FF-APO-1110&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20041205%2F2357760833.htm&sc=1110

How terrible. Wasn't she travelling with family/friends? We have an 8 year old who cruises with us. Even though I know it's very safe, freaky things happen and I still get panicky right before we leave home. I pray for her and her family.

I was thinking the same thing MadCnty....I am deathly afraid of the water and I cruise anyway because I dont really think I could just fall overboard.

I couldnt help but thinking why always Carnival ships when I read articles like this?

My heart goes out to this woman's family...and the fishermen too.

Sam :)

Remember Carnival has the largest share of cruisers of any lines. Therefore that may account for the increased frequency. Not to mention that many (although not this person) of the man overboards occur to younger passengers.

jc

I don't see how anyone with half a brain could "fall" off of a cruise ship. Kids run around on those things for crying out loud!! I'll bet that woman is somewhere with the guy that fell off last week on some remoat island in another country somewhere...:rolleyes: . People do dissapear all the time.

Found this in an article about the guy who was lost on the Celebration last week.

While falling from a cruise ship is a rare occurrence, a quick review of the Cruise News archives reveals that at least 11 passengers and crew have fallen overboard from a cruise ship since February of 2000. According to the information in our files:

- Males are much more likely to go overboard than females (9 vs. 2)

- Carnival passengers (6 incidents) are more likely to go overboard than passengers from other cruise lines...especially passengers on the Fascination (2 incidents)

- The average age of a passenger who goes overboard is 33 years old

- You are most likely to fall overboard on the last night of your cruise

- For some reason, people from Virginia go overboard more than others (3 incidents)

- Falling overboard does not necessarily mean you will die (3 people have been rescued, one after 18 hours in the water)

- Most people who fall overboard are either drunk or doing silly things (climbing on the railing or between cabin balconies)

Found this in an article about the guy who was lost on the Celebration last week.

While falling from a cruise ship is a rare occurrence, a quick review of the Cruise News archives reveals that at least 11 passengers and crew have fallen overboard from a cruise ship since February of 2000. According to the information in our files:

- Males are much more likely to go overboard than females (9 vs. 2)

- Carnival passengers (6 incidents) are more likely to go overboard than passengers from other cruise lines...especially passengers on the Fascination (2 incidents)

- The average age of a passenger who goes overboard is 33 years old

- You are most likely to fall overboard on the last night of your cruise

- For some reason, people from Virginia go overboard more than others (3 incidents)

- Falling overboard does not necessarily mean you will die (3 people have been rescued, one after 18 hours in the water)

- Most people who fall overboard are either drunk or doing silly things (climbing on the railing or between cabin balconies)

So if you are a 33 year old male from Virginia sailing on the Fascination don't climb between balconies whilst drunk on the last night of your cruise!

Let's hope the number of people going overboard does not rise.

Thank goodness I'm older and from Texas! And, I don't often climb on balconies;)

I too thought it next to impossible to fall overboard. However, we sailed on the Rhapsody Nov. 14th. The winds were so terrible on monday that my husband and I could not do our morning run. We tried but I was a little scared. The ship was pitching a lot and the wind was blowing me toward the rail. At one point, my toes were barely touching the ground when the ship dipped. I had a death grip on my hubby and decided that I really didn't need to exercise that day. I wonder if they were in rough seas? We were in about 12 foot seas. Lots of sick people on board that day. Just a thought........

Lynn

Hi

I live in Los Angeles and this story has made the news. Even heard about it on the local radio station.

DH and I both saw 2 separate stations carry this story. Sound bites were pretty much the same. They interviewed a man the claims he found the missing woman's purse and items scattered around the deck, with an empty glass. He remembers seeing her there before she was reported missing drinking. No one saw her fall over. He (this guy) says he told the lady's teenage daughter that probably her mom was drunk somewhere sleeping it off. She was on this trip with teen daughter and her parents. He went on to say that they continously paged her while her family waited for an answer. Another lady interviewed (she appeared shaken or nervous about being interviewed), she says the ship finally turned around and went back to the location.

I really feel bad for her daughter.

Doesn't mean this is true but I read on the Carnival forum that she was traveling with her daughter and the daughter said someone had been stalking the mother during the cruisse and that her purse was found on lower deck. Also they said the FBI arrested someone before they disembarked. As I said, just saw this on Carnival doesn't mean it is the gospel.

I know this may sound far fetched. A good friend of mine, mother's best friend was on that cruise. She said that they delayed disembarktion to interview everyone on ship. They also found the ladies blood. They had to turn the ship around to go and search for the woman. She told me all of this before there was much information on here. She thought it was very ironic as I had just come off of a cruise also.

Archived