Anyone back yet on the Sun from So America

cmh

I am so looking forward to reading a reivew of your cruise. I was booked on the ship and had it all paid, but had to cancel in February when my company decided to lay off 1500 people. Tell me about the ports in South America and if you had to skip the Mexican ports due to the Swine flu. I am sailing on the Sun in October from San Francisco to Mexico and love to hear your comments. In fact, my daughter is getting married on the ship!

Carolyn

I was not on this cruise, but i live in Los Angeles. The local news showed the Sun while it was docked here in San Pedro and the news said that they skipped the ports in Mexico. But i am sure someone who was on the ship can tell you for sure, as it wasn't mentioned in the NCL Press Release.

We were on the cruise to South America. We did stop at the ports in Mexico. Have to say, I liked the Sun (my first Norwegian cruise) and our cabin steward was wonderful but felt the whole thing was a bit disorganized. Loved all our excursions - had great tour guides. However, the food was awful. I'm used to much better. I heard alot of people complaining about it. One lady said to me, "my first and last Norwegian cruise". I think, while, I've had better food, service, and accomodations, for what we paid, we had a great time, even though the airline lost half our luggage and still haven't gotten it back. I probably would try Norwegian again, but only at a discounted rate. All in all, we saw some wonderful places and I'm glad we made the trip!

We were on the cruise to South America. We did stop at the ports in Mexico. Have to say, I liked the Sun (my first Norwegian cruise) and our cabin steward was wonderful but felt the whole thing was a bit disorganized. Loved all our excursions - had great tour guides. However, the food was awful. I'm used to much better. I heard alot of people complaining about it. One lady said to me, "my first and last Norwegian cruise". I think, while, I've had better food, service, and accomodations, for what we paid, we had a great time, even though the airline lost half our luggage and still haven't gotten it back. I probably would try Norwegian again, but only at a discounted rate. All in all, we saw some wonderful places and I'm glad we made the trip!

What was wrong with the food? Was it the wrong food items? What better food are you used to. Just saying awful doesn't help me judge if it was you or the ship's chefs. For all I know you prefer rice and beans....

I can't imagine NCL can screw up a sirloin and a bake potato which is always on the always available menu in the main dining rooms. The salads and fruits have always been great, and their chilled soups are heavenly.

If I am not hungry for a Continental meal, the Blue Lagoon/Sports Bar cranks out the hamburgers and hot wings.

I have sailed on the SUN twice and the food and service was excellent--the Op gives no comparison to any other cruise or vacation hotel or??? I find it hard to figure out why they thought it was disorganized--was it their

first cruise on any line???

Big Green

Sorry I got everybody in a snit about the food and the disorganization on the Sun. I thought the food was bland. It didn't taste like anything. Yes, I could have a steak and baked potato but for 18 nights in a row??

Also, for the record, I did eat salads and fruit everyday, however, they weren't cook. I found the portions small and the tomato soup at the Sports bar tasted like canned spaghetti sauce and my husband walked out after he took one taste of the ham and cheese pannini. Our cruise experiences have been Disney and Princess. The disorganization came with the return times for several of our excursions. Also, the Freestyle had many misprints. Like the day they had a heading of shopping in Acapulco and there were two paragraphs about Punta Arenas. I'm sorry if I insulted anybody, let's just say my other experiences have been much better and I won't be posting here anymore since I don't want to upset the fan club!

• 6 months later...

Kikiz - Please don't stop posting your thoughts and comments here, they came across to me as sincere and that you felt you had a right to state them - which you do. Since none of us know who it is that is answering, my guess is that at least some of the folks who bash us are actually NCL people. Certainly it would not be the first time that a company monitors it's message boards. Cruise Critic says they want people to give their input, but based on the response to your comments they only want it if it's positive.

Don't let them get you down, people who put others down are pretty insecure themselves.

Just curious as to why you brought back a thread that is over 6 months old to say that you think NCL is making remarks when someone post negatives. I have posted negatives myself, and ave never felt that. Sure, there are a very few that cannot tolerate anything negative, but I just chalk them up to being narrow minded. For the same token, anyone who can find nothing positive are just plain full of it, in my humble opinion.

Al

FOOD comments are so SUBJECTIVE. What I do not understand is HOW on a ship with such a multitude of dining choices that anyone can not find SOMETHING that they enjoy!

I truly was on a cruise a number of years ago (not NCL), where all the soup choices were just broth with different kinds of noodles, and by the last evening our entire table of 6 ended up resorting to just BAKED POTATOES for dinner as the choices were so poor and inedible, in my opinion. The buffet was already closed, and there was no other venue available, but we STILL enjoyed that cruise! (However, we heard PLENTY of loud griping by others on that ship! :D) The good news was I gained not an ounce on that cruise!!

Archived