Accessible excursions alaska

What do you mean when you say accessible? Can you get up the steps into a big bus but cannot walk distances or do you need a lift equipped vehicle? We really enjoyed the Orca Enterprises Whale Watching tour in Juneau and saw lots of whales. The train in Skagway was also lift equipped and very scenic. My favorite excursion was the "Evening Wildlife Excursion" that departed from Skagway to Haines where we saw over 100 eagles and 5 huge brown bears as well as seals, other birds, and one whale. However this excursion required you climb up into a bus so would not be possible for everyone.

What do you mean when you say accessible? Can you get up the steps into a big bus but cannot walk distances or do you need a lift equipped vehicle? We really enjoyed the Orca Enterprises Whale Watching tour in Juneau and saw lots of whales. The train in Skagway was also lift equipped and very scenic. My favorite excursion was the "Evening Wildlife Excursion" that departed from Skagway to Haines where we saw over 100 eagles and 5 huge brown bears as well as seals, other birds, and one whale. However this excursion required you climb up into a bus so would not be possible for everyone.

Yes, I can climb into a bus, BUT will have my scooter with me, do they put that in the bus? The whale watching, train, and your favorite sound awsesome!!! Thanks for your help! Nancie

No, there was no place to put a scooter as in Haines the buses were of the school type. They used a golf cart to take me from the boat to the bus and back. The biggest obstacle was the walk from the ship to the transfer boat and back at the end. While the group in Haines was wonderful it would be much better if Skagway had also had a golf cart to transport you from the ship to the transfer boat. I wonder if you could leave it at the pier in Haines. I rather imagine you could.

My mom was in Alaska a couple of years ago but she is unable to climb any stairs. Her excursions were limited to those that had lift vans. In Juneau she took the "Juneau's Best" tour offered through Mighty Great Trips. They had a lift-equipped van to take her on a city tour with several stops including one at Mendenhall Glacier. In Skagway she took the White Pass train, also with a lift. In Sitka, she went to the national historical park. There were sidewalks from the dock to the park so my dad was able to push her chair relatively easily. The park had paved walkways. In Icy Strait there wasn't really anything for her. There was a visitor's center near the dock with a nature trail that she went on but ended up back at the ship early that day.

We did a northbound cruise then rented a minivan for an interior tour. Denali national park has lift-equipped buses (no bathrooms onboard) that offer a tour into the park. The bus makes several stops during the day for restroom breaks. The park kennels were also accessible. We took the riverboat ride in Fairbanks but the Indian village stop was not paved and required a couple people to manage the wheelchair.

Nancie, Princess will not allow your scooter on the tender. You might want to bring a fold up manual chair for you Icy Straight and Sitka stop.

Lucky us, no tender stops on the N/S trip on the Coral lPrincess!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I went on a HAL cruise/tour a few yrs. ago to Alaska. He has MS so what I did was find out what excursions are available for the trip then went directly to the website where I was able to find out if their tour was accessible or not. Most of the websites had info about it or have ways you can contact them and ask. I started this about a year before we went so it was time consuming but really helped. He and my dad actually went salmon fishing! He caught one and they cleaned it and froze it and shipped it home for us.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I went on a HAL cruise/tour a few yrs. ago to Alaska. He has MS so what I did was find out what excursions are available for the trip then went directly to the website where I was able to find out if their tour was accessible or not. Most of the websites had info about it or have ways you can contact them and ask. I started this about a year before we went so it was time consuming but really helped. He and my dad actually went salmon fishing! He caught one and they cleaned it and froze it and shipped it home for us.

My DH also has MS, and used to love to fish before things progressed so far that he needs a wheelchair. Do you think he could actually fish on one of these excursions? I would love to arrange that for him. Any advice about what company you used would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, my husband doesn't remember the name of the salmon fishing excursion he used in Alaska. I do know it was in Juneau and it was one of the excursions offered by Holland America. Perhaps you could Google salmon fishing charters in Juneau and find an accessible one for your husband.

Most men are very helpful when it comes to sharing a love of fishing, hunting etc. My husband,son and dad and out son-in-law went on a fly-in fishing trip to Canada and the cabins were on a hill above the boats. The owner had a golf cart and personally got my husband to the boats and situated. They went again another year after my husband's MS had progressed and he made a comment about it probably being his last trip because he might be in a WC and the owner said he would personally get him up and down the hill and make sure he had a wonderful trip.

Good Luck in finding a charter in Alaska.

Both my husband and I are both in wheelchairs and going to Alaska in August. Aurora Sportfishing is the company we are using for our fishing day. They seem to be very professional, helpful and friendly. They went thru the whole process as to how it would all work. You can google them for more info.

But... like I said, we are going in August and have NOT used this company before. Just letting you know what we have scheduled. I will give an update after we return.

Archived