No Lifevests required at Muster Drill

Your don't need to see your feet to walk! But you underline the exact reason why I think it is important to try out all aspects of the life vest in a drill. You'd not want to find out these things for the first time in a real emergency when it is likely that panic would be wide-spread. Also, us guys don't have boobs but then we usually have pot-bellies and they can be equally challenging, if not more, given that we grow our bellies later in life and have had less practice with them :)

No flames please.

Regards,

Boobs, no. MOOBS, YES! :D

-Q

I also have disabilities. I use elbow canes for walking in emergency. The first thing I do when I board is to make sure that they know I need help in an emergency. This is done at the Front Desk as soon as you board. This is for any disabled person included those with mental, eye, ear or walking problems. They assigned a crew member to me who carry's my jacket until we get to the assigned area at which time I put it on. It does not matter if you have someone with you when you board (they may not be there when the emergence happens).

I asked about someone helping me (husband is deceased and I travel by myself) once when I boarded years ago. It was at this time the Head of the Hotel told me the standard procedure was to assign some staff members (not officer) to the handicapped who had problems walking (those in wheelchairs would be assigned a min of two to carry down stairs if required. Elevators may not be working). In some cases some elevators may be working but they would only be for those who required them abled bodied people would be denied access.

If you could wear your life jacket, those who used a cane for example could wear them would and those who could not because of elbow cane, wheelchair bound etc would not until boarding the lifeboat. All would have them on when boarding the actual lifeboat.

Based on the overall size of most of us, I'm not sure the standard life vest is going to do any good.:p What is their weight capacity? Some of us will require two, front and back. As a minimum, we should have to carry the life vest to muster.

Having been called to muster for real on the SS Norway, most people do not respond quietly and orderly. And I'd like to quit hearing the excuse "it's too hot" if you chose to cruise in the Caribbean. That un-airconditioned life boat will really be hot.

I understand the point of the drill, but it seems hardly anyone takes it seriously ... these are the people I'm guessing who would lose it in a real emergency ... and on my last few cruises, the crew has done very little to enforce any rules during (keeping vests on, no drinking, no cell phones, etc).

Too bad, wearing those things makes a great picture.

Rule #1 on cruise get picture of muster drill. Gets great laughs at work.:p Really though practice does make the best example. While it is unlikley to ever have to use the vests it is best to be able to put them on and know you can do it. We had several on Liberty last week that couldn't with out help.

I've attended a muster for which we were required to carry the vests until we got to the muster station and were told to put them on. I don't remember the ship, but it seemed to make sense for avoiding the tripping/inadvertent pushing down the stairs. The muster station was inside a lounge, not outside near the lifeboats, which I thought was wierd. We all sat in the chairs and responded when they called our stateroom numbers.

Personally, I kind of like the drill (assuming everyone shows up in a timely fashion so we can get it over with quickly). It's yet another reminder that I'm going on a cruise. Muster drill over...let's get the party started!

It's not the drill itself that bothers me, I'm safety conscious, it's the standing there for 45 minutes wrapped up in your vest in 90plus degrees, crammed together (and I am usually packed in the middle of the line) , - while you wait for all the stragglers to assemble.

Once they see you are in your vest, have showed up at the appropriate muster station, why can't they just check your name off and let you go on your way?

Princess has it right. Sit in an air conditioned lounge, watch the staff go through the instructions, just as you do on a plane, and let you go.

One other thing that might be worth thinking about is lifejackets over the years have gotten much more user friendly. I remember on my first cruise, everyone had to be shown cause you had to loop it through this way then that way and make sure its though the front and then tie in a bow blah, blah, blah (all you veteran cruisers know the ones im talking about :p). Now, they are pretty much, over the head, snap and pull tight.

Could have some bearing on this decision.

On our last couple of our RCCL cruises, we have had muster stations in what I would call an assembly area (bar, lounge, etc.) You just carry your life vest up, put them on for a short time, and then take them off again, wrap the straps around it, and then on our way. Not a big deal and we get to meet several people.

If you really want to get rid of a time waster and annoyances, get rid of that picutre taking with teh captain on the first formal night that messes up the flow and delays just getting in the dining room!

The reason for no lifejackets was probably for health reasons.

Invariably there are a precentage of not to bright passengers that insist on blowing the whistles attached to the life jackets.

With the contagious diseases going around. There is no reason to mouth kiss strangers.

The reason for no lifejackets was probably for health reasons.

Invariably there are a precentage of not to bright passengers that insist on blowing the whistles attached to the life jackets.

With the contagious diseases going around. There is no reason to mouth kiss strangers.

Maybe; but viruses like that only last a couple of hours on their own. It would have been at least 3 days or more since someone blew that whistle.

No one can appreciate the Muster Drill unless they have been through one.

Everyone should be required to go to Muster Drill to see where their lifeboat station is and check the life vest apparatus.. Without a Muster Drill and getting out those life vests would you even pay attention if there were enough in the cabin for everyone and if they appeared functional?

I don't buckle mine up until the last minute because it gets too warm and I always make sure I am at the front of the line so I can catch a breeze if any available. At the Muster Drills I have attended there has always been someone faint each time. I think to myself what an awful way to start a cruise. Those stragglers come strolling down the deck like they have no cares while us standing there are full of sweat and getting disgusted. They should have to stay 30 mins once the drill ends as detention.

I so agree once you see the formation and you are checked off on knowing how to assemble your life vest you should be able to leave.

True the viruses last several days but there always are people who blow those whistles especially children.

I very much dislike the Muster Drill but I will never try to get out of it. Knowing what is coming after the drill is what I concentrate on during that painful experience.

On the Mariner Inaugural I was in the DVD with my life vest on. How attractive is that as a keepsake? YECK.

Happy Sunday...Laura

Store the vests in the lifeboat??

That is NOT a good idea.

What if you can't make it to the lifeboat in time?

I would prefer to have mine beforehand.

Although, I would think that most people probably wouldn't be in their rooms, unless it was night while sleeping, and no one is going to run for their rooms for the vest if something were to happen.....WHICH IT WON'T!

Yep....they need them in the lifeboats too. :)

I do agree that they should have the vests at the Muster Drill, to learn the proper way to put them on.

How are you? Good to see you on here. ;)

That won't help if we have to jump in and swim for the life boat. :eek: :D

Not totally unlikely if the ship were to hit a berg rip a hole in one side where flooding was contained starboard of aft causing a list to one side that makes launching of half the life boats impossible...would hope they got launched before it gets to that point...but...

For those who think dragging straps is a problem...

Now as for the lifejackets being a trip hazard, if they are properly on or properly secured and carried there would be no strap to drag. Once used wrap them up so they store where they don't tangle if you have to get them fast in the event of a real emergency.

It would be fun in AK to see everyone issued a Survival vest and be required to show up in the Gumby Suite for Muster...probably be an hour before the drill would be over...

On the Mariner Inaugural I was in the DVD with my life vest on. How attractive is that as a keepsake? YECK.

Happy Sunday...Laura

DD loves being in the video and has just about every time she cruised with us...a couple of the times as a model for the lovely orange PFD.

Once, only once, did we get there really early and that was just horrible waiting for everyone for 20 more minutes...now I wait for the alarm to leave the cabin. It is always best to have DD with me since we then get to stand towards the front, so like was said catch the breeze... Of course it is nice to be in the lounge...I now know where I need to be to get that on VOTS...

I am guessing you are a guy. For the rest of us that have boobs, it is very difficult to wear a life jacket and see down to where the stairs are when you are trying to get to your muster station. Especially with a minor mobility issue. I would be fine, if they would allow us to carry them (straps up) to the muster station and then put them on. It is very difficult for some of us to wear them and walk, without being able to see your feet. :rolleyes: I don't mind it, and we always go of course....but lifejackets are designed for the water, not for walking on a dry ship. Why can't we all put them on when we get to our stations?

I have boobs, too. And even though we cruise at least once a year, I still need a reminder as to how to put them on properly and secure the ropes/tapes. If you have a minor mobility issue, wouldn't you want practice on how to get to where you need to be so if, God forbid, you have to head to the muster stations in a real emergency?

I continue to be amazed at the number of people who consider muster drills to be such a negative and somehow unneccesary part of cruising. As I'm married to a first responder -- who I know will stay behind to make sure those who need help gets it -- it works my last nerve to think that some fellow vacationers can't be bothered to be prepared in case of an emergency, therefore putting my husband's life at further risk. And THINGS DO HAPPEN. Plane on the Hudson, anyone?

Just MHO.

The world is still full of morons who have to be shown how to fasten a seat belt on an airplane. Therefore.....

And people need to be told not to leave their kids in the car with the car engine running. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/sfl-car-thief-children-gas-station-050209,0,5397974.story

Want a good laugh...read the comments at the bottom the page

I know my lifevest plan wasn't the best.

Sal and I just off the Liberty. Might be too big for us, due to the forward cabin??(Upgrade) Anyhoo, she's beautiful with a great crew.

I see your planned B2B in Nov. Gotta love those.;)

How are things your way?

I wasn't making fun of you at all. ;) At my age, I probably could not swim an inch anymore without one. :eek: To swim with the Dolphins I would need a vest. :D

I was originally on the Serenade B2B's for the same weeks, but one week of it was canceled. So, we will do the Adventure instead. We already had the air and hotel booked, so it was easier to just add a hotel day here and there and jump ships. RCCL offered that one and we took it. :D

I have boobs, too. And even though we cruise at least once a year, I still need a reminder as to how to put them on properly and secure the ropes/tapes. ...............................

Your boobs need to be put on with ropes/tapes? :D

It would be fun in AK to see everyone issued a Survival vest and be required to show up in the Gumby Suite for Muster...probably be an hour before the drill would be over...

Something like a Dry Suit? I used to always have to use a wire coat hanger to pull the zipper up in back!:D

As one who mustered for real in an inside lounge (SS Norway) let me tell you that ain't the place to be. No lights, no airconditioning, chaos. Show me to boats please. And if I do have to practice muster inside, I go on my own to locate the life boats and the emergency raft canisters.

What are the odds? 25 cruises, 1 for real muster. Glad we practiced.

While it is a pain in the @#%&, I certainly see the intent for having all of us put on the lifevests. At almost every muster there is someone who does not have a clue as to how to put it on.

But... if we don't have to do that, where will we all get those embarassing, stupid pictures of us (or our better half or family/friends) with a huge bright orange vest tied around their necks!!

----------------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

Previous Cruises

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000