Is the royal dolphin swim worth it?

wander2beaches

We have an 18, 23 and 25 year old on the cruise with us for May 17th, 2009. I am considering reservations for the royal dolphin swim and want to know if people think it's worth the cost. It's going to be a $489.00 decision. Thanks!

If none of you have never done it before I would say it is definitely worth it. It is a lot of money though, and extremely nice of you to pay for all of them to do it. I hope they are very grateful. We did something similar at Cozumel. We did everything but the foot push which looks like the funnest thing to do with the dolphin and is included in the royal swim. Ours was $149 pp in Cozumel (through the ship, which was a mistake) and it's only $10 more pp in GC for a little more action!! It really is an unforgettable experience.

I did a dolphin swim at Dolphin Discovery and yes, it was worth it. If you love animals and love interacting with them, it's a lot of fun. If you aren't really too interested, I'd suggest finding something else because it is a lot of money.

How much cheaper is it if you go through direclty through Dolphin Discovery?????

Here is the link.

http://www.**********************grand-cayman/cayman-location-overview.asp

we are doing the dolphin swim and we paid cozumel prices because when we transferred our reservation they didn't charge us the higher GC price. We also got a 10 percent discount because there are 6 of us and we booked 31 days out. So we paid $561 for six people, also you get free admission to the turtle farm across the street. I've been told by the people at the website that it is a $20 cab ride. We also like to be on our own schedule and are planning on going snorkeling at a place within walking distance.

You wou would be better off to do Stingray City which is an outstanding experience, is not harmful to the animals and cannot be experienced anywhere else in the world. Dolphin Encounters are not embraced by people who love animals and love interacting with them, in fact whole islands are boycotted. Visit spots like stingraycity.org and caymanislands.ky to get lots of info. Good luck!

With regard to can you get cheaper prices, it is doubtful, when you add in the cost of transportation, guaranteed time back at your ship (the traffic in GC can get very congested as there is limited roads to and from GT). Hope this helps.

You wou would be better off to do Stingray City which is an outstanding experience, is not harmful to the animals and cannot be experienced anywhere else in the world. Dolphin Encounters are not embraced by people who love animals and love interacting with them, in fact whole islands are boycotted. Visit spots like stingraycity.org and caymanislands.ky to get lots of info. Good luck!

With regard to can you get cheaper prices, it is doubtful, when you add in the cost of transportation, guaranteed time back at your ship (the traffic in GC can get very congested as there is limited roads to and from GT). Hope this helps.

We've done Stingray City 3 times previously and you are right it is incredible. This will be our ninth cruise and we have never swam with dolphins which is something I've always wanted to do. I love all animals and the dolphin places exist with or without my support so I am not going to deny myself the experience. As for it being cheaper, we have taken ship excursions for two people but when you multiply things by six there is a huge difference and we always leave ourselves plenty of time to be back at the ship. Haven't even cut it close.

I too had to switch my dolphin swim from Cozumel to Grand Cayman.

Does anyone know anything about the facilities? Was interested in if there are any lockers, do you need to pay money to use them, can you bring your own camera?

I didn't see anything on their website about that kind of stuff.

Does anyone know anything about the facilities? Was interested in if there are any lockers, do you need to pay money to use them, can you bring your own camera?

If you go to the online chat on the website, they will answer any of your questions. Post here and let us know what they say. thanks.

I too had mixed feelings but did one in Jamaica. At that particular location, the dolphins were happy. One even swam up to me on his own and started splashing me. It is one of my favourite travel memories and I am glad I did it. They are beautiful mammels and while this might sound corny - it will give your family a new appreciation for Marine life. It did for me. After parrots, dophins are my favourite animals on the planet.

We will be on the Valor in June and were very interested in the Royal Dolphin Swim, however I do not see it under shore excursions on the carnival site. Am I missing something? Thanks for your help.

We just switched our cruise from the Splendor which has been rerouted to Canada.

We will be on the Valor in June and were very interested in the Royal Dolphin Swim, however I do not see it under shore excursions on the carnival site. Am I missing something? Thanks for your help.

We just switched our cruise from the Splendor which has been rerouted to Canada.

The Royal Swim is not offered by Carnival. Just the lower swims are.

You have to go to the dolphin discovery site to get the Royal Swim.

This is a very difficult discision. We most definately want to do the Royal Swim, we had the same thing scheduled in PV and were very much looking forward to it. My dilema is that Dolphin Discovery requires payment upfront with your reservation and with everything we have gone thru so far, including additional expenses to change air fare, this is a hard chance to take. There refund policy is very specific and in most cases only give you credit to use in the next 12 months which would do us no good. Also don't want to risk missing out because we waited until we got there and took our chances to see if something was availiable the day of our arrival.

Any suggestions? I think I'm gonna need a vacation from this vacation once it is all said and done.

This is a very difficult discision. We most definately want to do the Royal Swim, we had the same thing scheduled in PV and were very much looking forward to it. My dilema is that Dolphin Discovery requires payment upfront with your reservation and with everything we have gone thru so far, including additional expenses to change air fare, this is a hard chance to take. There refund policy is very specific and in most cases only give you credit to use in the next 12 months which would do us no good. Also don't want to risk missing out because we waited until we got there and took our chances to see if something was availiable the day of our arrival.

Any suggestions? I think I'm gonna need a vacation from this vacation once it is all said and done.

Dolphin discovery has a 10 percent fee if you cancel but you get refunded the rest. We were able to swith from cozumel and didn't have to pay more even though grand caymen is more expensive. They were very easy to deal with, by phone,email and internet live chat.

This is the biggest decision of our cruise! I am freaking out about this too. I want my daugher to do the swim in cozumel but now that the port has been changed (just till June 15th so far, we cruise July 5) I don't know where to book.

We have plans for Grand Cayman (Nativeway stingray, snorkle and rum point 5 hr. trip) but I am thinking of changing that trip to just a 3 hour trip so she can dolphin in the afternoon.

I am worried the longer I wait to make the reservation, there will be no room. I am looking at the Dolphin Discovery.

My wish would be to make the reservation in Cozumel. If that port is cancelled I would like my reservation moved to Grand Caymen. Do you think that is a possibility.

What are your thoughts? do you think this whole flu mess will be over by?????? Should I just book in GC and make the adjustments?

We are also struggling with a dolphin swim. We had scheduled directly through dolphin discovery website for Cozumel, not the ship. Carnival Valor has changed itiniteraries due to flu, so we need to switch reservation to Grand Cayman. Dolphin Website live chat very helpful! They switched our reservation, no problem. Highly recommend using their live chat.

However, I do need advice. We have scheduled the 1:00 pm royal swim (program is 45 minutes, should be ready to get in a taxi back to dock at 2:00) , We had already reserved a Stingray/snorkeling tour for the morning in Cayman. I am getting nervous that we may need to cancel our morning stingray sailing tour and move our 1 pm swim to an earlier time in order to make it back to catch the tender in time. Thoughts? Advice? This is so stressful! I understand about swine flu concerns, but dang, this is really throwing a wrench in things!

Yes, there are lockers and you do not need to pay for them. I suggest bringing an underwater camera to take photos while you're in the pool. They tell you not to bring cameras with, but I just brought mine right in with me and got a bunch of really great close-up shots.

This is just my opinion for what it is worth. If you cruise somewhat frequently you will get back to Grand Cayman and Cozumel is almost always one of your ports. We haven't done the dolphin thing before because it is so expensive but have done the snorkel and stingray thing a bunch. I would choose one or the other because either experience should be wonderful and save the other for another time. That way you can truly enjoy what you are doing without any additional worry about time constraints.

We are swimming at 1 pm but since we are really interested in the turtle farm we are stopping at the dolphin place to get our wristbands and going to do the turtles first so we won't have to rush. We always leave alot of time to return to the ship so will do dolphins last and then leisurely make our way back to the pier and roam shops within sight of the ship.

Maybe that will help both the previous posters with their concerns. You don't have to do it all in one vacation. Gives some anticipation and excitement about the next. This is our family's ninth cruise and we are still really thrilled each and every time. Vacation is supposed to be fun, not stressful. That is why we choose cruising!

We were originally scheduled for the royal dolphin swim in cozumel and I called to have our reservations switched to the caymans also, they were very nice. Did not throw in the turtle farm for us, though. I was wanting to ask someone who has been there, is there other stuff by the royal swim that the rest of our group can do? Our group has about 25 people in it and eight of the kids (ages 12-19) are going to do the royal swim and the rest of us had planned to stay on the beach at chankanaab, but now that we are in the caymans, can we still stay on the beach by the dolphin swim with our kids. Is it a place you can swim or snorkel while they are doing their swim? And has anyone done the turtle farm across the street from the dolphin place? Did they enjoy it and what were the prices? Thanks for any information you can give me on this subject. Lori

Is anyone else concerned about their cancellation policy? If your boat is diverted due to bad weather you can cancel with a 10% fee (before 4 days). That is before our cruise even starts. What about if bad weather is the day of? Am I reading this wrong??? It states

General Cancelation Policy: No refunds will apply for cancellations made within 4 days before your program. All changes are subject to availability, on 24 hours prior request.

Partial or full cancellations will be subject to a 10% charge, per person.

Before Traveling

If your cruise ship or airplane trip is cancelled or diverted due to bad weather, we are glad to offer you the following two options.

1. In order to avoid cancellation fee, you can reschedule the same program, in any date through a certificate that will be valid during the next 365 days. The program will be the same you booked, without additional cost, even when our rates change, this will not affect your booking. You can plan your next vacation in any of our 6 dolphinariums: Isla Mujeres, Cozumel, Puerto Aventuras, Puerto Vallarta, Tortola and Grand Cayman. *
  2. You can cancel anytime (before 4 days of your program) and you will be refunded with a 10% cancellation fee, as long as you send us a letter from the cruise or airline stating the situation.

We were originally scheduled for the royal dolphin swim in cozumel and I called to have our reservations switched to the caymans also, they were very nice. Did not throw in the turtle farm for us, though. I was wanting to ask someone who has been there, is there other stuff by the royal swim that the rest of our group can do? Our group has about 25 people in it and eight of the kids (ages 12-19) are going to do the royal swim and the rest of us had planned to stay on the beach at chankanaab, but now that we are in the caymans, can we still stay on the beach by the dolphin swim with our kids. Is it a place you can swim or snorkel while they are doing their swim? And has anyone done the turtle farm across the street from the dolphin place? Did they enjoy it and what were the prices? Thanks for any information you can give me on this subject. Lori

If you are talking about dolphin discovery, I was told by them that the turtle farm is included with all dolphin swims. I asked if we could go to the turtle farm first and they said just check in at the dolphin place and they would give you a wristband that would give you entrance to the turtle farm.

someone on the message boards told me there is a place to snorkel within walking distance but it is not a beach. check the grand caymen board. I started a post there about this.

Archived