Alaska photos from 2008

JPCruising

As the Alaska cruise season is coming up quick I thought many of you might enjoy seeing photos from last year which I have posted at www.jprphotos.com I also have a slideshow set to music of my 2004 cruise and landtour which can be viewed at http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewalbum.html?bm=98288

I hope you enjoy them, Alaska is such a special place I wish I was going back this summer.

Juli, I took the lower trail down from the visitor center out to the waterfall. I don't recall there being a name for the trail, but you will see many people making there way out to the waterfall.

Those were gorgeous shots...thank you so much for sharing them! You sure had some beautiful days with blue skys and great weather (I'm gaging this from the clothes :) ) so that really enhanced your photos. I couldn't help but notice all the wake / stern view pics...did you have a cabin back there? I'm a stern cabin spoiled brat and have only taken one cruise that wasn't in that location. They have the best views on the ship, IMHO.

Diane

Diane, we really did have great weather on our trip, including great views of Mt McKinley. Several of us in our group booked rooms on the rear of the ship and loved spending a lot of time on our balconies watching the world go by.

lawahoo2001, I use Canon DSLR's and have several lens, but before giving you specifics, just wanted to say that whether using Canon, Nikon, Sony, or other brand SLR they all are capable of taking great photos in the hands of someone who has taken the time to learn how to use their camera. My 2004 Alaska photos were taken with a Canon Digital Rebel using the 18-55mm kit lens and 75-300 IS zoom lens which produced some great results even though the camera was "only" 6.3 megapixels. Last year I was using a Canon 1D Mark III, 24-105L IS, 17-40L, and 100-400L IS zoom. This camera hobby can get to be quite expensive :D but boy do I have fun. Please let me know if you have other questions.

Great pics JPR...sure did enjoy looking at them. I thought the "sunset" in skagway was very pretty. I have a Konica Minolta, just like the first Sony, and a 300mm lens. Sure hope to get some good shots. It will be with me all the time, except on the ziplines.

JPR, your pictures are amazing. You have clearly put a lot of time and money into honing your skill and I'm glad I got the chance to reap the benefits of viewing the photos.

My family and I are scheduled for a cruise in June of 2010. We are considering the helicopter ride/dog sled excursion. Did you do the excursion to Mendenhall? Did you find it was worth the expense? I can't go to Alaska and not go dog sledding but not sure which option is the best.

Thanks

JPCruising,

I have been contemplating an Alaskan cruisetour. Your pictures are fabulous and make me want to go even more. Can you tell me which excursion from the ship you enjoyed? Now wish me luck convincing my husband to splurge! :)

Thanks again for breathtaking pictures you shared!

Stephanie

JPR' date=' your pictures are amazing. You have clearly put a lot of time and money into honing your skill and I'm glad I got the chance to reap the benefits of viewing the photos.

My family and I are scheduled for a cruise in June of 2010. We are considering the helicopter ride/dog sled excursion. Did you do the excursion to Mendenhall? Did you find it was worth the expense? I can't go to Alaska and not go dog sledding but not sure which option is the best.

Thanks[/quote']

Actually my wife and daughter did this excursion with Celebrity Cruise line. They did not go to Mendenhall but went to a sled dog training camp on a glacier. Although it was expensive they felt it was worth it and highly recommend it.

wv4dmb, most of the excursions we did not do through the ship but booked them on our own. During the cruise portion of the trip the highlights for me were whale watching with Harv and Marv out of Juneau and another private whale watching trip out of Icy Strait Point. On land I booked a flight with Talkeetna Air Taxi both in 2004 & 2008 with glacier landing. Alaska is beautiful and I enjoy getting a birds eye view from the air anytime I can, but it is expensive.

Archived