food on norwegian spirit

camella

I took ncl several years ago and it was only for a weekend cruise. We are trying to take my parents on their first cruise and since this one is on sale, I thought we'd try it. Any reviews on the food in the dining room? Do you get escargot or lobster on formal nights? How about the specialty restaurants? Are they worth the extra money? I know they have been on other cruises. Also, is there an age limit at the specialty restaurants? We will also have my daughter who is 8. thanks in advance.

The food exceded my expectations. I had read lukewarm reviews, so I was braced for sub-par food, but that was not my experience.

Freestyle is not for everyone, so if you are determined to eat at the same sitting, with the same wait staff, etc... do not take NCL, you will be disappointed. I, on the other hand, loved free-style. We ate at a different time every day, depending on what we felt like doing. We made spur of the moment decisions as well, and I loved that. We never waited for a table, and we had good service every meal, no complaints. :D

The food was very good, and the "Cooking Light" entrees were outstanding. I had excellent salmon, mahi-mahi, and the filet mignon was amazingly good. A lamb appetizer was delicious, and there several desserts were wonderful. Salads - OK, I've had better, I've had worse.

Yes, there was lobster and escargot on formal night. Also Beef Wellington, which was delicious. The escargot was the best I've ever eaten. The lobster was not Maine/Nova Scotia cold water lobster, so was the smaller (chewier) variety, good for that type of lobster, but not outstanding. There was, however, Maine lobster being offered in Specialty Restaurants.

The Specialty Restaurants do seem to be worth the cover. We ate at Shogun (Teppanyaki) and it was very good. Le Bistro and Maxims got rave reviews from fellow passengers.

Casual offerings very fresh and good at Blue Lagoon. Pool side barbeques were better than I expected, and also the "snacks/meals" at Bier Garten. Even Raffles Buffet was better than the average buffet, which suprised me. I don't know about the children, I don't think there is an issue taking them in the specialty restaurants. The late night fruit buffet was very nice, and the Chocoholic - OK, lovely looking, but I'm a true dark choc. addict, so lots was not in that category.

Considering the great prices for the cruise overall, you can't get a better deal, is what I think.... The meals alone in any land restaurant would easily surpass your cruise fare.

We were on the same cruise as Happyto(be)going, Hi Joanne:) , and we really enjoyed the food. Like the post below, my expectations were not terribly high given what I had read. We were very pleasently surprised.

We had breakfast at Raffles everyday but one. The only thing I would stay away from here are the scrammbled eggs. They were not very consistant (they are very difficult to do on any buffet, but especialy if your galley is two decks below).

Lunch was either, BBQ on deck which was very nice and surprizingly with real charcoal, raffles or our favorite choice sushi. The sushi is some of the best I have ever had and definatley the most reasonably priced. Make certain yo9u ask about sushi choices not listed on menu.

I agree with others the escargot was delicious. It was my first time having, but it looked too good to pass up. This was one of my great pleasure of cruising, trying things that I would not normaly due to price etc. The formal night dinner was very good. As said before the lobster in Windows was cold water tails. I was not terribly impressed, but I am accustomed to Maine sweet lobster.

Le Bistro was a terrific experience and well worth the $15.00 cover just for the fondue (a must have). We also were able to order the escargot again.

I would not suggest children in this venue, but if you do decide to....we had an early 5:30 seating and we were one of three tables in the place.

Enjoy and Bon Appetite

• 1 month later...

Freestlye allows you to eat when you want, where you want, and with whom you want unlike traditional cruise dining where you table, tablemates, dining time and waiters are assigned and the same for the duration of the cruise.

Freestyle isn't for everyone. It seems like people either love it or hate it. Personally, I love it. I feel it is much less rushed.

I have not sailed the Spirit but did the Dream 11/02 obn a 9 day. Have previously and since sailed more traditional lines (Carnival and Celebrity). What I REALLY liked about NCL was the rotating (3day) breakfast menu in the dine rooms. I, personally flipped for the eggs sardou (poached eggs on artichoke hearts in a parmesian cream sauce (keep the eggs and bring me double artichokes-no can do). Most other lines have the same menu every day. Also liked the on deck BBQ on sea days, Real Webber BBQ grills. Pizzia is NOT up to Carnival level but neither is it on Celebrity. We did do the dine room for lunch several times on port days. There were a couple surprises not listed on the menu. Did do Le Bistro 1 nite. Found the escargot better than the dine room (butter vs. oil) but ate double portions both times.

FYI: Menus generally are the same fleetwide. Variations occur due to length of cruise (over 7 day have adds, under have removes) and a senior chef's personal seasoning touches.

Archived