Titou Gorge?

will work to cruise

I went to Titou Gorge in January of this year. The Gorge has a small waterfall at the back of it so there is a current that you're swimming against. I understand it's normally pretty calm. The day we were there it had been pouring rain for a couple of days as well as the day we were there. All the waterfalls were in full flood and the swim was ridiculously difficult, nobody could make it all the way to the back that day. If you stayed in the current at anything less than a full swim you would have been swept back. That being said, it was still a lot of fun :D Levi has swim belts you can use if you're worried.

Laura

We went there in Feb. and there was a bit of a current sweeping out from the gorge/falls but the biggest problem was how COLD the water was! I got about 40 feet in and said, forget it! I would bet the water was in the low 60's to upper 50's! It was absolutely freezing. My wife and friends must be pluckier than I because they made it back to the falls. To me, it just wasn't worth it!

• 2 weeks later...

This is a warning about Titou Gorge. I went there about ten days ago with Bumpiing Tours. I was with a different group than Levi's. Since it had been raining heavily the past few days, Levi did not allow his group to swim up to the waterfall, since the current was too strong. However we were told that the current can change by the minute, and if we were strong swimmers we could attempt to swim to the waterfall. Taking this as a challenge, my friend and I (we are both strong swimmers) strapped on the required "floatation devices" which were large foam belts and went ahead of the group and swam up to the waterfall. As we approached, we felt strong currents pushing us either towards the waterfall or away. When we reached the open area where the waterfall is, what started out as a light pull quickly turned into an inescapable suction under the water. Before I knew it, I was under the water being dragged towards the waterfall. As soon as I reached the falls I was pushed further down, and the current on the bottom pushed me out and away from the falls. Once I was about thirty feet out, my floatation device brought me back to the surface, where the current inescapably pulled me down and towards the waterfall. This washing machine like experience was annoying at first, then frustrating, then frightening. Almost three minutes into it I was not able to escape, and was quickly running out of air (I had maybe one or two seconds of time above the water for each cycle, for about six or seven cycles). My face hit a rock and my elbow got really banged up, and my shoe fell off. Eventually I saw the floating life-saver ring that our tour guide had tossed out for me. I was so exhausted by this point I was barely conscious, and I heard people yelling for me to grab the rope. I locked my arm around and was dragged to safety near a small cave in the rock. I looked around to see a guy in his thirties, a guy in his forties, and my friend gasping for air, trying to catch their breath. One guy who looked in his forties kept saying “I thought I was dead! I thought I was dead!” My friend just looked at me with a half glazed expression, smirking and said “how good to be alive.” They had all been caught in the same current that pulled me under.

I ended up with a mild black eye, a much scraped up elbow, and one hell of a story. We found out that the rest of the group saw us and stayed back (thank god) while we were rescued one by one. Moral of the story: if it has been raining, avoid Titou Gorge. If you feel strong currents swimming up to the waterfall, avoid Titou Gorge. Or better yet, let some other schlub go in first and see what happens before you do.

Went this past February. The water was fairly chilly, I would say in the 60's, but the experience was awesome!!! It was really cool to be swimming in a cave. There was a small current, but everyone in my family....including a 12 year old girl who isn't a great swimmer, were able to make it to the waterfall at the end. I stood off to the side shivering while everyone else in the group went directly under the waterfall and then shot out like a cannon. I could see where it would be dangerous if it recently rained...but otherwise it is well worth the trip!!

Now the ride up to the gorge........gulp.....let's just say you have a "road" (really just a dirt path) only wide enough for one car with several hundred feet drops on each side....and a nice bamboo guardrail to keep you from certain death. That was the really scary part of the tour!!!

This is a warning about Titou Gorge. I went there about ten days ago with Bumpiing Tours. I was with a different group than Levi's. Since it had been raining heavily the past few days, Levi did not allow his group to swim up to the waterfall, since the current was too strong. However we were told that the current can change by the minute, and if we were strong swimmers we could attempt to swim to the waterfall. Taking this as a challenge, my friend and I (we are both strong swimmers) strapped on the required "floatation devices" which were large foam belts and went ahead of the group and swam up to the waterfall. As we approached, we felt strong currents pushing us either towards the waterfall or away. When we reached the open area where the waterfall is, what started out as a light pull quickly turned into an inescapable suction under the water. Before I knew it, I was under the water being dragged towards the waterfall. As soon as I reached the falls I was pushed further down, and the current on the bottom pushed me out and away from the falls. Once I was about thirty feet out, my floatation device brought me back to the surface, where the current inescapably pulled me down and towards the waterfall. This washing machine like experience was annoying at first, then frustrating, then frightening. Almost three minutes into it I was not able to escape, and was quickly running out of air (I had maybe one or two seconds of time above the water for each cycle, for about six or seven cycles). My face hit a rock and my elbow got really banged up, and my shoe fell off. Eventually I saw the floating life-saver ring that our tour guide had tossed out for me. I was so exhausted by this point I was barely conscious, and I heard people yelling for me to grab the rope. I locked my arm around and was dragged to safety near a small cave in the rock. I looked around to see a guy in his thirties, a guy in his forties, and my friend gasping for air, trying to catch their breath. One guy who looked in his forties kept saying “I thought I was dead! I thought I was dead!” My friend just looked at me with a half glazed expression, smirking and said “how good to be alive.” They had all been caught in the same current that pulled me under.

I ended up with a mild black eye, a much scraped up elbow, and one hell of a story. We found out that the rest of the group saw us and stayed back (thank god) while we were rescued one by one. Moral of the story: if it has been raining, avoid Titou Gorge. If you feel strong currents swimming up to the waterfall, avoid Titou Gorge. Or better yet, let some other schlub go in first and see what happens before you do.

Goodness gracious! That is so scary. Sounds like a riptide at the beach except it dragged you down and under instead of out to sea. The day we were there the current was too strong to get close to the waterfall so it pushed everyone back down toward the entrance. I had no idea it could pull you toward the waterfall. Thank you for posting the warning.

I am so glad you are ok! We were with Levi last week and it was a great experience for us. However, as you said, Levi would not let us get close to the waterfall. I just peeked around the corner to get a picture of the falls - as far as Levi would let me go. However, he was holding his safety ring and another person was holding my safety belt as we feel the current pulling us to the falls. I felt very safe with Levi. He warned us right away about the "washing machine" effect and was very careful and watchful. Up until you actually get into the opening with the falls the current is pushing you out, not in. Most people did not go as far as I did in our group. Here are my pictures of that day. You can tell by the pictures that I was not able to get a full picture of the falls in Tiitou Gorge.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/572234570LwsDhX

• 2 years later...

So I guess you don't know until you get there if it is too rough? :(

• 3 weeks later...
So I guess you don't know until you get there if it is too rough? :(

Probably not. I'm sure if it hasn't rained much they can be pretty confident it will be OK, but if it has been raining there is nothing they can do but go up and take a look.

The water temp SEEMS cold since you are used to being in hot humid weather and have been spoiled by the 80+ degree ocean water. In reality it's probably 70+ degrees or at least the high 60s if it's been raining a lot.

Don't ever underestimate the power of moving water. The washing machine effect near waterfalls and dams can be especially deadly and hard to get out of on your own. Ironically, sometimes the only way to get out is to allow the water to push you DEEPER and hope it pushes you clear.

A much better idea is to not approach the waterfall in high water, and never do it alone.

See http://fishandboat.com/damlow_info.htm for more info.

Dennis

• 2 months later...

They have done a lot of roadwork on Dominica in the last 3 years or so. Although the roads are narrow and windy, they are a lot better than before.

Don't worry, no matter who you tour with, they are amazing drivers...

We were in Dominica 3 weeks ago with Levi and Titou Gorge was fine. We were even able to climb the waterfall and jump back in from the top. If it hasn't rained a lot since then, you'll be fine.

The water is generally around 68 degrees or so. It feels a lot colder when you first get in, but you get used to it quickly...

Cheers, P:)

If the flow is low enough Levi will let you climb the very small waterfall in the front. The view of the larger waterfall in the back is worth it. Then you will have to jump off the small one. We had a range of ages 9 to 55 do it and thought it was awesome. The road to get there isn't that bad not much worse than some of the mountain roads we are use to back home.

We did a tour with Levi last week (March 8) and Titou Gorge was incredible! We had no problems at all with the swim and most in our group are not strong swimmers, but with the swim belt none of us had any difficulty. When we reached the waterfall, Levi said we could climb and jump off the little one and a few people did and said it was great. The water was chilly when you first get in but once you start swimming, it is not so bad. We had such a great time and would do it again in a heartbeat. Levi is outstanding and very cautious - safety is always first with him.

The road to the gorge is not bad at all - we have been on much roads on other islands and at no time did we feel uncomfortable or worried. Levi is awesome and Dominica is a gorgeous island!

Archived