Review of my cruise

Cruise Review for N915 25/4/09-02/05/09

People on cruise

Cheryl & Billy (15) son – Renee & Michael (15) son

Renee’s hubby John drove us down from Bundaberg to Brisbane on the 25/4/09. We were all excited and happy.

We arrived at Portside at 9.45, we then checked luggage in which took all of 3 minutes then went to check ourselves in which took 5 minutes for all four of us having never checked in for a cruise before I found all this pretty efficient but can’t compare to anything else. I was very happy with how it all went. We were given embarkation number of F. We then went for a stroll around the shops and then we saw her-- OMG to us she was huge, just stood there in awe of her. We then went back and within minutes we were called, took photo (which turned out great) then the moment I had been waiting for, I was walking up that gangway and we were on. We quickly found our cabin and put our bags in, claimed our beds and off we went exploring. The ship was very clean and everything polished and shining. We found the buffet where people were already having lunch, but were sent to the Burgundy room for our lunch. We sat with some nice people and a man who did nothing but burp out loud. Renee and I were kicking each other under the table and he forever became Mr. Burpy to us. After lunch we checked out the rest of the ship, registered boys into teen club and then headed back to the cabin to sort everything out. We then went up to the welcome party where people were doing the conga etc, all were having a great time. We sailed out of Brisbane at 6 pm with all the lights of the city glittering and twinkling it was absolutely magical, something I will never forget. Billy just looked at me and said thanks Mum; he didn’t need to say anymore than that. We had dinner in the buffet that night all really nice and then went and watched the show where we met Sandy the cruise director for the first time, now I don’t know much about cruise directors but to us Sandy was fantastic for the whole entire cruise, does that man ever sleep! He also informed us all that we were all now officially boat people (probably uses that every cruise!!) We went to the Atlantis and saw the show every night of the cruise, they were all fabulous.

Day 2 at sea

This was our first day at sea, the water was as flat as a pancake and we were all fine. Had to be up on the deck at 10.00 where the cruise cam is so Uncle Col and my family could see us (which they did) We just enjoyed the day, had lunch in the Burgundy, sat out on a deck chair, went to a couple of things that interested us and just relaxed, we also had “High Seas” in the Bordeaux room—yummy--! The day was nearly over before we knew it. Went to the show then had dinner, still full from lunch! I noticed the buffet says 9.30 but it stay opened to 10pm most nights which was good, even though they didn’t actually advertise it they did put on afternoon tea for everyone in the buffet area which was great.

Day 3 Whitsundays

I woke earlier than everyone else at 5.30 and went up to the back pool deck, beautiful up there at that time of morning, we were heading into the Whitsundays much earlier than expected, so they must have made up some time through the night. It was another beautiful day the sea was like a big aquamarine pond. I got talking to a girl who had been on the Diamond so got heaps of information from her; we actually became quite good friends by the end of the cruise and will keep in contact with her and see her in Sydney in December. We all went for breakfast ( yummy once again), Went to Airlie beach by tender, on arrival they had cold iced water for us, a big welcome sign and people with maps and information all very well done. We took the shuttle into Airlie and the bus driver pointed out a few interesting things to us. They had markets along the beach where people were doing camel rides, now you don’t often see people riding camels up the beach but there it was. Off we went shopping, got shuttle back, then got the Catamaran back to the ship, had some lunch then the boys decided to leave us and go to the teen club. Had a great afternoon doing “stuff”, it can be very busy on the ship trying out everything!! We sailed away from Whitsundays at 5.00pm in the most amazing coloured calm water and the bluest sky you could imagine. It was beautiful. We went to the show where there was a guy called Mark Kristian performing, we found him quite funny.

Day 4 Cairns

Got up early once again, by now the staff must have seen me walk through at that time of morning and they would offer me a cup of tea, morning Mam can I get you a cup of tea they would say, the staff were so polite nothing was too much trouble and if it was they didn’t show it they were just wonderful, even our cabin stewards Bhiva and Rosalyn would offer me a cup of tea mmm maybe I looked like I needed one! Anyway once again we arrived early 8.30am instead of 10.00am as we had been told, we were also told instead of 2 days in Cairns we would leave at 3.00 am and anchor in Port Douglas, now this upset a few people who had plans, but to us it was fine as I had been to Cairns/Port Douglas in October. It was fantastic arriving in Cairns so many people waving it really was fun and I was glad I was on the boat and not the marina as I had been in October! When we got off the ship in Cairns they had aboriginals with their face and bodies painted to welcome you and get your photo taken with. After a day shopping we went back to the ship, boys went to teen club, they had made friends by now so we were seeing less of them but they had rules like what time to meet us etc, which they followed so everyone was happy. It was Country and Western night tonight now I know I am wildweston but I am just not into it (Weston is my last name) anyway we didn’t go we did lots of other things though. The Country and Western night had to held in the Terraces Lounge because Cairns has very strict noise limits!

Day 5 Port Douglas

Up early again and we were nearly in Port Douglas, meet my morning friends on the back deck for a quick hello and also saw a beautiful rainbow, magical, then got everyone up, headed for breaky then off to Port Douglas. The way they do the tender tickets was all very efficient and no-one seemed to have a long wait. This day the weather had turned a little and it was a bit choppy but only a bit but enough to make us pleased we got the cat and not the tender. We got into Port Douglas and once again they had cold water and guides waiting for us. We headed into the shopping area where we shopped till we dropped, bought some really nice things, had a coffee, more of a shop then headed back to get the Cat back to the ship, when it came in we noticed the ambulance go to it and bought a boy back up on a stretcher, our boys recognized him and he appeared to have maybe a broken wrist,(I think) his mum was following with all their luggage, I felt really sorry for them. We then boarded the Cat and when we got into open seas we saw it was much choppier. One man fell over taking a photo and cut his lip and grazed his knee, we all sat down after that. We past the ship tender and it was bobbing up and down like a cork, needless to say a few sick people that night! It was island night tonight got dressed and had a really good night. It was my favourite night of all the themed nights, it was also the first night I felt queasy myself but only in the cabin standing up, if I laid down I was fine, so I would lay down, jump up do things lay down till it passed a bit weird but I was okay in the end. By now the boys would come down for their showers then go and eat with their friends. One girl even recognized my son Billy, she knew him from school but he didn’t know her even though they are both in year ten at the same school!!

Day 6 Willis Island

Up early again, got chatting to a lady and it turned out she is Bianca’s mother-in-law and Bianca herself came up and I chatted to her for a while. Now I am sure some people will know of Bianca and some won’t all I can say is she is a popular T/A. I wasn’t really expecting too much of Willis Island but it was really a pretty and interesting little place. All of our forecasted weather comes from here, they released a weather balloon while we were there and they track it all and hey presto our weather forecast, though not quite accurate sometimes! Three men live there for about three months, the men on the there at the moment are due to go home in June. It is a very pretty little island; the water turns a beautiful green colour close to the island. Once we anchored this then meant duty free. I bought a couple of bottles of Bundy for my friends at a really good price, weird I live in Bundaberg but have to go all the way to Willis Island to get it that cheap! Did lots of stuff in the afternoon, bingo, trivia (must say we did pretty well which shocked us), movie, afternoon tea, the show, ate again. It was formal night tonight but we didn’t go.

Day 7 at Sea

Woke up earlier went up and chatted to my morning friends had breakfast with some of them. Renee slept in this morning as did the boys. I went down to check them at 9.30 where I found Billy a bit sick, he said he needed some air so he went up deck, I jumped in and had a quick shower and then next minute I was sick. Went up for air and to check him, Renee came looking for me saying Billy had gone back to cabin after I left and had been sick, so went down to cabin both took travalcalm and slept for three hours, both woke up and were not sick in the least for the rest of the cruise, no sooner had we got better then Renee was sick and stayed in bed on the last night of the cruise. I meet up with my friend I made earlier and her mum was sick and asleep so we went to dinner and show, coffee etc. The farewell show was absolutely fantastic as were all the shows. It was very sad to say goodbye to Sandy and everyone.

Last Day

We followed all the disembarkation stuff and were off the ship by 7.15 all very easy and efficient and sad, but we had a great time, made friends, had great weather. The staff, the cleanliness of the ship, the entertainment everything could not be faulted, it was all so wonderful, I don’t think you could holiday any other way especially when your first cruise was as good as ours.

Overall we had a fantastic time and can't wait to do it again, thanks Uncle Col for talking me into it! :) :)

Hi Cheryl,

so lovely to hear you and Billy have had a wonderful time, we look forward to cruising with you in December on the Diamond...:). looks like you took to it like a duck to water..LOL...

S&D

Hi Cheryl, glad you had a wonderfull cruise and your review really a great read , i have one ? for you. why was the delayed lieving brisbane?

Thanks Thied never written a review before so was a bit scared. We were delayed because it was Anzac Day we were told, something about rules and regulations sort of too excited to take it all in.

Thanks Thied never written a review before so was a bit scared. We were delayed because it was Anzac Day we were told, something about rules and regulations sort of too excited to take it all in.

that far enough, i could go with that,and glad you all enjoyed your selvs, yes it is very exciting on your first cruise on the sun, the fun of finding where every thing is.

Well written Cheryl so pleased you all enjoyed yourselves.......and its not too long till we cruise on the Diamond Princess......we had distant rellys(sp) on your cruise and they too were cruise virgins .... now cruise converts....:D:D....... ....said the cruise was fantastic....couldn't really fault anything...which is great and being quiet types we were gobsmacked to hear they took part in the Marriage Show.....:eek::eek: said it was great fun.......:eek::eek: cheers Shiona

Oh yeah Shiona they were funny, they were the oldest couple on stage that had been married the longest and I think they came last. They were very funny and were good natured about it ( they maybe divulged a little too much information ), they all did but yep all contestants were good sports and Sandy played it all up and was very funny. On a different note when we disembarked we went to Southbank and it turned out to be Buddha's birthday (seeing as though we just came off a cruise we felt like Buddhas's ourselves, though only put on 1.7 kgs wasn't too bad) there was 100's of stalls and the staduim was decorated magnificently a lot of effort went into it and we really enjoyed it :)

Hi Cheryl,

so lovely to hear you and Billy have had a wonderful time, we look forward to cruising with you in December on the Diamond...:). looks like you took to it like a duck to water..LOL...

S&D

Thanks Sandra looking forward to meeting you and Shiona and everyone else on the Diamond you are always both very friendly.

Hi Cheryl

You did a great job on your review...I really enjoyed it. Glad to read that your first cruise went well. Now the countdown until your next one :D.

Hi Cheryl,

Loved your review, and so plesed you had a great time......So now it sounds like you have become a Cruise Addict.... Welcome to the club.:D

Look at that countdown!! Just 16 hours to go................you lucky devils:D

Hey I've just got home from work, what's with the Bundy cruiser all coming out, thats great. Just wished we had the airport up and running, would make it easier !

Bundy girl- you are in for the best time of your lives, have fun

Crystal- Cruising is not a bad addiction is it?

Rose --Thank you, I am so pleased I have another cruise to look forward to, it's all part of the fun.

Marg--Well you've gone but I hope you have a wonderful time

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Karon was worried it wouldn't make sense you know your mind is saying one thing and your typing as you go, but it turned out okay. I had the best time. Yes next cruise is on the Diamond, got a really good deal and just went for it. Yep Uncle Col has given me his bug and I'm so glad he did. Welcome back, I read you had a great holiday, now you'll need a cruise to get over it!!! :)

Archived