Clothing for Alaska first week of Sept

hansonsk20

We have been reviewing much of the information on these threads and found it very helpful. We are going on our first cruise to Alaska on Aug 31st. We are stopping in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. We have a whale watching tour planned with Harv and Marv for Juneau. We are trying to determine if we will need our regular winter coats (we are in WI so they are thick:) ) or if we will be better off with fleece layers and a thin waterproof/windproof jacket. Are winter coats necessary? We aren't sure if we will get there and wish we had our winter coats. Also, are boots necessary or would hiking shoes be a better choice?

I'm doing Alaska in september myself and I had the same questions you did. Everyone told me to dress in layers. As for a rain jacket, I was adviced to take a medium weight jacket with a hood, so I guess one for in between seasons. I'm taking fleeces with me, as they are light to pack and warm to wear. For glacier visiting, I plan to wear some thermal underwear. Bring turtlenecks and long sleeved t-shirts and I was told I would be fine. And don't forget hats and gloves, you never know what you might encounter there :D

And bring two pairs of hiking boots, in case a pair gets wet. I think hiking boots have the best traction for whatever activity you have planned. And less chance of slipping.

Cindy

No you don't need the winter coat. Layers are the answer. I never take hiking boots, and do plenty of moderate hiking with a good pair of walking shoes. Way too bulky to haul around in my opinion.

When I visited Alaska 2 years ago at the end of Aug. The ports were fairly warm, light jackets were fine. When I went out on deck I was always cold and I'm going to take a really heavy coat this year in Sept because I like spending more time out there. (I'm cold blooded)

Archived