All things "Victory"

richbum

We are booked for March and are working on flights right now. What would be the earliest return flight you would attempt? My friend just emailed and was looking at a 10:05 am, I don't think that is feasible the next one that is an ok price is 1:45pm.

We haven't done San Juan in a few years b/c of the airport and I think she has forgotten this fact.

Thoughts?

We had a 11:50 flight and had no problem...I don't know if I would try a 10:05 flight though. If you do, make sure you go to pursors desk and show them your flight info and that way you will be one of the first ones to get off the ship. Don't forget to go through the agriculture security check at the airport before you get in the long security line...they will make you go back.

You're going to have a blast on this cruise.

Edited by DOTTE

Ive read a few posts on here about this ship being more 'rocky' than most ships....is this true? we will be there December 20-27. I heard that its because of the itinerary, that because the ports are so close together that the ship goes so slow?

Im not worried, but my wife is extremely worried and since this is her first cruise, i dont want her sick the whole time.

Thank you to all that reply

Ive read a few posts on here about this ship being more 'rocky' than most ships....is this true? we will be there December 20-27. I heard that its because of the itinerary, that because the ports are so close together that the ship goes so slow?

Im not worried, but my wife is extremely worried and since this is her first cruise, i dont want her sick the whole time.

Thank you to all that reply

If she is worried at all and thinks she will get sick, I would definitely think about taking Bonine or patches or some say ginger pills work. I have never tried them, but I usually start taking Bonine a few days before I get on the ship and so far so good.

Forgot the pills - they make you tired and dont really work.

My sister in law is a doctor and gave us some prescription pills on our 1st cruise but told us to only take them if we really need it. INSTEAD she told us to get seabands (available in any drug store).

I am the type of person that believes in pills over pressure points or other holistic medicines. BUT - I put on the bands and wasnt sick at all. For one of the excursions, I took them off and forgot to put them back on once on board the ship. After a while I started to get a headache and feel funny in the tummy. I put the sea bands back on and in 15 min I was feeling fine.

My wife and I now swear by them since they have worked on each cruise that we have taken since.

And it definitely isnt a "mind over matter thing" because my mind was convinced that it WOULDN'T work yet it did.

Just make sure that you have them placed correctly on your wrist.

ROB

I suppose the seasick pills affect people differently. Traditional Dramamine makes most people (including me) sleepy. However, Bonine is a nondrowsy formula. I always take it a few hours before embarkation, and then as needed during the cruise. It works fast and has no side effects that I have noticed.

I havent been on this itinerary yet (I'll be onboard for New Years Eve week) but I have been to 3 of the 6 islands on Royal Caribbean ships and have always felt minimal rockyness most of the time. However, we had good weather each time. If there is a storm in the area then I am sure the waters will be much rougher, even if you are not in the storm area itself.

For some reason I have always noticed the swaying of the ship in the show theatre. Once we had a bit of rockyness during the ice skating performance on the Explorer. I kept thinking how difficult it was to skate and do the amazing moves that they were doing as the ship was rocking.

The only cruise that I was on where we felt a lot of swaying and rough waters was coincidently on the Victory however it was on the New York - Nova Scotia itinerary a few years back. The Atlantic waters are not as calm as the Caribbean.

As for Bonine, I have used it in the past and it did work for me pretty much most of the time. My stepdaughter used it and it didnt work at all. So I agree that it affects people differently. But I still urge people to try the seabands. Just put it on your wrists and forget about it.

For those who dont know what a seaband is. It is an elastic cloth band that slides onto your wrist. There is a plastic "marble" built into the underside of the band that sits about an inch below the base of your hand. The elastic causes the "marble" to push into the pressure point somehow relieving the feeling of seasickness. It also works wonders for kids (and I assume adults) who get carsick. The package also says it works for morning sickness but I cant vouch for that.

Trust me - I was the most skeptical when I first heard about them but for some reason they really work.

Last cruise, we were on a ferry from Cozumel to the mainland of Mexico (took an excursion to Tulum to see the Mayan ruins - something I highly recommend if you are into that sort of thing) - the water was soooooo choppy that literally half the people on the ferry were throwing up. The poor crew were scrambling to get bags to everyone. It was like the scene in Stand By Me where once one person smelled the vomit they started throwing up as well. It was a domino affect. My wife and I had our sea bands on and she felt totally fine. I had a slight headache but thats it (Im a bit more sensitive than she is). People that took Bonine and Dramine were some of the ones who were sick.

I guess if you are really nervous about getting seasick, it cant hurt to wear the bands AND take bonine. (I guess its like using a condom and taking the pill at the same time if you are scared about becoming pregnant) lol

Dont worry about it and enjoy the cruise.

Rob

Hi everyone, I will be sailing on the Victory in April and getting married in St Thomas! This is my 5th cruise and my fiance's first. I tend to get sea sick sometimes and was wondering how bad the motion on the boat really is. I'm a little nervous now and don't want to spend my honeymoon sick:( Any insight would be appreciated.

Everyones pictures are great by the way!!!

hawaiianhonu22...I am very interested/curious about your plans/planning of a st thomas wedding during a cruise...thanks!!!! You can email me :

Hdog76@aol.com

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. They will be usefull.

any comment on the rockyness of the ship??

thanx

We noticed that the Victory did seem a bit "rocky" in the evening. To us, it was most noticeable during dinner in the Pacific Dining Room, located aft of the ship. However, the rockiness wasn't that bad. We brought sea bands with us and even packed Bonamine, but never had the need to use it.

On our previous cruise on the Carnival Triumph, we had one rougher night after leaving Ocho Rios. My youngest son was feeling a touch of sea-sickness and put on the sea bands. There were also alot of people throwing up in the bathrooms.

No one in our family felt sea-sick due to the rockiness of the ship nor did we notice anyone else getting sick during our Carnival Victory cruise. So unless you are very sensitive and proned to sea-sickness easily, and are not sailing through any storms, there is a good chance that the rockiness of the ship will not bother you that much.

cz

Edited by dz63

So for your car rental at the Sheraton in OSJ, did you plan at the Hertz desk? Are you reserving first or just showing up? We will be there later this month (woo-hoo!) and want to also drive to El Yunque, but see that Hertz there costs a lot more than others. I think it is for the convenience - we really don't want to drive or shuttle all over to get a car or return it. We are staying pre-cruise at the Sheraton one night, will go to El Yunque about 9am day of cruise, returning by about 3 or 4 to board.

Thank you very much for the responses it sounds like the ship isnt that rocky and we will just take everything and hope for the best

So for your car rental at the Sheraton in OSJ, did you plan at the Hertz desk? Are you reserving first or just showing up? We will be there later this month (woo-hoo!) and want to also drive to El Yunque, but see that Hertz there costs a lot more than others. I think it is for the convenience - we really don't want to drive or shuttle all over to get a car or return it. We are staying pre-cruise at the Sheraton one night, will go to El Yunque about 9am day of cruise, returning by about 3 or 4 to board.

We reserved a car from hertz picking up at the airport on saturday at 230pm and dropping off at OSJ sheraton on sunday at 12 noon, 37.00USD taxes in. this was with the entertainment card.

And for the return we did the opposite (picking up at OSJ on the sunday at 9:00am and dropping on the monday at the airport at 230pm) we would need to rent it for 2 days. and was quoted 86.00USD taxes in. again on the entertainment card.

the entertainment gets you about %10 off i think. I think that CAA or AAA gets you the same discount.

I reserved it online from the Hertz website. I didnt want to take the chance and just show up. I loved the convenience of returning it to the Sheraton and then walking across the street to the ship.

Hopefully it isnt like the Seinfeld episode -

Agent: I'm sorry, we have no mid-size available at the moment.

Jerry: I don't understand, I made a reservation, do you have my reservation?

Agent: Yes, we do, unfortunately we ran out of cars.

Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have the

reservation.

Agent: I know why we have reservations.

Jerry: I don't think you do. If you did, I'd have a car. See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation and that's really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them.

I'm sure this is posted somewhere, and i've possibly asked this before, but here goes again.......I have a balcony on the starboard (i think thats the right side)on the victory for a southern caribbean cruise.......would the portside be better? In looking at the map of the itinerary, it seems most islands will be on the right as we travel but im sure 750 people will tell me thats not true...or is different each trip. I spent tons for the balcony and would love to be on the "better" side.....unless there is no "better" side....thanks everyone!!!!

So for the Hertz rental that you picked up at the airport and returned to the Sheraton the next day, did you have trouble finding parking overnight near the Sheraton Sat? We could do that. Thanks.

Sorry, i actually havent done it yet. This is for a rental comming up in December. We are staying at the Hampton inn and parking there is $5.

We just returned from the Victory and we had such a fabulous time we are seriously considering booking her again for next spring or summer. I fell in love with Barbados, so we may book from Barbados so we can tack on a few days pre-cruise there. We plan to take the Shasa Catamaran again (at least once!), take an island tour and spend some quality time on the beach and even more quality time with some Banks beers. I would love to hear recommendations on places to stay.

2209371870044824703S600x600Q85.jpg

I think the Victory looks particularly lovely in this shot

I'm sure this is posted somewhere, and i've possibly asked this before, but here goes again.......I have a balcony on the starboard (i think thats the right side)on the victory for a southern caribbean cruise.......would the portside be better? In looking at the map of the itinerary, it seems most islands will be on the right as we travel but im sure 750 people will tell me thats not true...or is different each trip. I spent tons for the balcony and would love to be on the "better" side.....unless there is no "better" side....thanks everyone!!!!

I can't remember which thread it was on but it was on one of the victory threads. They said that it varied from trip to trip depending on how many ships were in port or how was easiest to dock (back in, pull in etc) So I think the side you are... you have to consider it the best and just have a great time.

luvttrips,

We are on the same sailing - 4 couples together and football fans throughout. I was wondering the same thing. Glad you asked. I hope they will postpone the drill for 1 day so we won't get interrupted. Maybe we will see you there.

Edited by efuzz

on deck 10 what is in the lido dining area, what is on this deck? on the glory and liberty is the fish and chips, and didnt know what was here. thanks

The Lido Deck is on Deck 9. There is a variety of food choices available on the Carnival Victory's Lido Deck. This includes the Yangtze Wok (Asian cuisine), East River Deli (speciality subs and sandwiches), the Mediterranean Buffet Restaurant (which has a second level on deck 10), the 24-hour pizzeria, self-serve ice-cream stations and the Mississippi Grill (BBQ hamburgers, hotdogs, fries, breaded chicken strips...). There were no fish and chip stations on the Carnival Victory.

cz

For the majority of ports on our Carnival Victory cruise in July, the gangway from the ship to the shore was on the port side.

I can't remember which thread it was on but it was on one of the victory threads. They said that it varied from trip to trip depending on how many ships were in port or how was easiest to dock (back in, pull in etc) So I think the side you are... you have to consider it the best and just have a great time.

I agree with Dirkgun!

cz