All things "Victory"

richbum

Alprice, are you sailing on the 27h of Sept? My FI and I will be sailing on that cruise for our honeymoon. This will be my second time on the Victory, and I hear it has been refurbished since my Nova Scotia trip in August of 07. We can't wait! The only thing I wish this ship had was a paid dining/restaurant option.

Hi everyone! I love reading through all of the posts! Thanks so much for taking the time! I have a quick question about alcohol...I have read that you can buy alcohol and put it in your carryon before you embark in Puerto Rico. Have you done this yourself and what have you taken on? (wine, liquor, beer etc.) Just curious as to why they wouldn't notice alcohol when they scan your carryons?? My dad would definately love to bring on beer if that would even be possible. Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone! I love reading through all of the posts! Thanks so much for taking the time! I have a quick question about alcohol...I have read that you can buy alcohol and put it in your carryon before you embark in Puerto Rico. Have you done this yourself and what have you taken on? (wine, liquor, beer etc.) Just curious as to why they wouldn't notice alcohol when they scan your carryons?? My dad would definately love to bring on beer if that would even be possible. Thanks in advance!

This is a pretty famous one.... They have a liquor store right at the embarkation point and pass out free samples just before you go through security. Security is run by local authorities, not Carnival, so they don't care if you bring it through. Once on the ship, you do pass a lonely liquor collection table but everyone has the stuff in their carry on and as long as it is not in sight, you're home free. Just don't try to bring on a case.

Mike in Ohio

This may have been answered before and if so, I apologize. I've cruised before, so I understand how customs works when you disembark. Because we are flying out of San Juan, will we have to go through International Customs (yes, I realize that Puerto Rico is a US territory, but when you call Delta to ask about flights to San Juan, they transfer you to the International department) when we land back in the continental US? We're flying on Delta from San Juan to Atlanta and then on to Kansas City and I wonder if we're going to get stuck in a line at International customs in Atlanta. Any experience with this? Thanks!

This may have been answered before and if so, I apologize. I've cruised before, so I understand how customs works when you disembark. Because we are flying out of San Juan, will we have to go through International Customs (yes, I realize that Puerto Rico is a US territory, but when you call Delta to ask about flights to San Juan, they transfer you to the International department) when we land back in the continental US? We're flying on Delta from San Juan to Atlanta and then on to Kansas City and I wonder if we're going to get stuck in a line at International customs in Atlanta. Any experience with this? Thanks!

I flew in and out of San Juan last year for my cruise and never got anywhere near US Customs at the airport. Only had to do it getting off the ship. JetBlue considers San Juan a domestic flight. If I were you I'd call someone else at Delta.

I flew in and out of San Juan last year for my cruise and never got anywhere near US Customs at the airport. Only had to do it getting off the ship. JetBlue considers San Juan a domestic flight. If I were you I'd call someone else at Delta.

Thanks Judy! That's what we thought, but it was weird that we were directed to International to change seats on a booked flight from San Juan. Customs when we got back didn't make sense.

We are flying from Bufallo-Newark-San juan later on in the year.

I called continental to ask if we would need to get our bags in newark before connecting to san juan. I too was transferred to an international agent. However, we will NOT be required to get our bags or go through any customs, just a change of terminals. Same thing for the return flight.

We're booked for feb deck 8 aft victory and we're pricing out for next feb as it's about $180 cheeper per person getting it that far in advance. Our last cruise was an aft and we loved it.

I would however like to hear from others that stayed in a spa deck 11 room. Was there a lot of traffic noise from camp carnival or from the work out facilities? I'm asking as I think it would be nice to have quick access to the showers, steam and sauna rooms. I noticed there was a wall that may keep noise down during sleeping hrs. Also, was the wind in the front such that would make it too noisy to have a conversation on the balcony?

Thanks...Rich

Edited by Gordonzoo

Is the daily list of things going on that day called Capers? If so, does anyone have recent copies they can upload of Victory Southern Caribbean? Or maybe there is a thread already with this that someone knows about?

I am interested to find out if there are any evening outdoor movies?

Thanks

Is the daily list of things going on that day called Capers? If so, does anyone have recent copies they can upload of Victory Southern Caribbean? Or maybe there is a thread already with this that someone knows about?

I am interested to find out if there are any evening outdoor movies?

Thanks

Here is the link to our Carnival Victory Capers from our July 5-11 cruise.

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss355/cz63/Carnival%20Victory%20Capers/

Yes, they do play movies in the evenings on the Seaside Theatre. (The listings for movies and times can be found on the last page of the Capers).

cz

This is a pretty famous one.... They have a liquor store right at the embarkation point and pass out free samples just before you go through security. Security is run by local authorities, not Carnival, so they don't care if you bring it through. Once on the ship, you do pass a lonely liquor collection table but everyone has the stuff in their carry on and as long as it is not in sight, you're home free. Just don't try to bring on a case.

Mike in Ohio

You are referring to the small sample bottles, right ? I would be nervous trying to sneak full size bottles thru the X-Ray machine we had to use when boarding.

My sister and I are going to be on the Sept 27 sailing of the Victory and really looking forward to the ship and the itinerary. We aren't doing any excursions, prefer to just wander about and "discover" interesting local stuff. Any suggestions for any of the ports? Most of what I have read on the boards involves excursions and tour groups, looking for something different. Thanks all!!!!

You are referring to the small sample bottles, right ? I would be nervous trying to sneak full size bottles thru the X-Ray machine we had to use when boarding.

No, not miniature bottles. People were buying lots of full size bottles, putting in their carry-on, and going through security.

Again, port security didn't seem to care and you don't go through ship security at SJU.

Hi Woody

My first time in San Juan I did my own walking tour - its a great place to do one. Here is a website that you can print out before you go:

http://gopuertorico.about.com/od/oldsanjuan/ss/WalkingTour.htm

There was another site with a walking tour and maps that you can print along with lots of detailed info, but I cant find it at the moment

Rob

Rob, Again thanks for the pics. That is MY ship! Ok, not really mine, but I am quite happy here in my little dream world.

Question for you Victory veterans: I was just looking through the deck plans for about the 100th time and noticed something named "19th hole" on deck 4. I know what a 19th hole is at a golf club, but what is it on the Victory?

Based on the layout, it is in the same location on Destiny, I would also agree on it being a simulator. Kind of out of the way- cutting through a lounge (cigar),around corner and there should be golf pro desk on right, and straight away the screen simulator. On Destiny it was a bit of an older model, so I am not sure what is on Victory. However we did have fun with closet to pin contest, and filled up some slots of simulator time on sea days when on Destiny. Kind of like going bowling and just for the fun of doing it and jabbing eachother!

They usually charge by the hour- no matter number of golfers.

We are flying from Bufallo-Newark-San juan later on in the year.

I called continental to ask if we would need to get our bags in newark before connecting to san juan. I too was transferred to an international agent. However, we will NOT be required to get our bags or go through any customs, just a change of terminals. Same thing for the return flight.

We have sailed twice from San Juan and done it different each time'

scenario 1- disembark when number called, go down escaltor and locate luggage. Now with customs form in hand (one per family) wait in short line to hand over customs declaration page and onto hailing a cab with luggage in tow. Cab to airport. Now the important part- you must get luggage screened and stickered put on from the USDAG (or some initials like that) -dept agriculture looking for plants,produce etc, then you can procede to check in. DO NOT go directly to counter they will send you back. You can verify this on board. p.s. we made it easier though by going into internet cafe by dinner time and checking in for flight and printing out boarding passes -but you must have activated an internet account and have minutes left to do this.

scenario 2-luggage express- for $20 per person if you are using a qualifying airline you can submit names on special forms with airline info,flight times etc to pursar and night before will get boarding passes all set to go, and special luggage tags for airline. Since it is San Juan, you will still go and retrieve luggage and hand off customs form, THEN walk 100 feet to counters that look like an airport and hand off luggage there. Now should not deal with luggage until at home airport. You will still have to pay baggage fees though. This also only works if flying the same airline for a connection and I think flight after noon. Highly recommend the program.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for what shoes to wear on excursions. Some of ours involve some walking

We always wear tennis shoes that we previously broke in, and good socks that are high enough to not give heel blisters. Never wear shoes that are new for your trip!

However if you are doing any wet activities the Keen type sandals work well and dry fast and have good traction. They also come in handy when we have experienced rain or amusement parks with water rides. My spouse found good imitation brand "keen" at Target/Kohls and they worked well for him. Good for beaches too.

We also always bring a bottle of water in an insulated carrier that we can carry like a small purse. While we haven't had to use them, blister bandages just in case too.