All things "Victory"

richbum

Hey Havinnest! We were there this past May and the weather was perfect. Not a drop of rain. However it is the Caribbean!

Thanks!

My sil keeps talking about how hot it is going to be. I, on the other hand, keep thinking we live in North Central Texas...how hot can it be? ;)

Meant to add:

We are so excited about this cruise and we're counting the days. Our daughters have the two aft cabins beside our aft wrap so we'll have a lot of balcony to sit on and enjoy!

Edited by Havinsnest

I have been drooling over here with so many beautiful pictures of the Victory and I really appreciate the time all of you have given to posting these pictures. Thank you very much. Now, does anybody have any videos that they you can post?:D

Meant to add:

We are so excited about this cruise and we're counting the days. Our daughters have the two aft cabins beside our aft wrap so we'll have a lot of balcony to sit on and enjoy!

Don't know if you have ever had a aft wrap before...but it is AWESOME.

We have been there twice. We hired a taxi and he showed us the entire island and it was great. It's a really pretty island. The first time we went to the beach for the day but the second time we were with our daughter and son-in-law and we hired the driver. It was a really fun day. Not to costly and he showed us everything.

What did you do on Barbados. Still having a hard time trying to plan something for this island. Currently have activities planned for the other islands but just can't seem to nail down what to do on Barbados. So much to choose from.

We did the Swim with Turtles and Shipwreck Snorkle and it was one of the best excursions ever.

024.jpg

035.jpg

039.jpg

037.jpg

042.jpg

046.jpg

We just got off Victory on the 18th. Had a wonderful time - it was our first cruise and absolutely loved it. We will write a review later this week sometime. In the meantime, if you have any questions, just ask!

Do you remember who the comedian was on the cruise?

Actually I have read ALL of it TWICE. I detest having to ask questions if they have already been answered although I answer them a million times if they are asked of me that many times. I also clicked on your name and waded through your posts and eventually gave up, didn't see a "thread started" option but I will look again.

I read reviews here on CC about Victory (about 50 of them, as I recall). Reviews can be a impersonal. I came to this post looking for first hand information from someone I could talk to and pick the brain of if need be.

Thanks for your helpful answer; I will continue researching.

Havinsnest--have you read my review? It is very detailed with lots of photos and I tried to provide alot of information in it. If you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer them for you.

The link to my review is located in my signature.

What did you do on Barbados. Still having a hard time trying to plan something for this island. Currently have activities planned for the other islands but just can't seem to nail down what to do on Barbados. So much to choose from.:)

We took a tour that included Harrison's Cave, the East Coast, St. John's Parish Church and Rockley Beach.

What did you do on Barbados. Still having a hard time trying to plan something for this island. Currently have activities planned for the other islands but just can't seem to nail down what to do on Barbados. So much to choose from.:)

We took a bus over to Paynes Bay Beach and swam out to where the sea turtles are. We brought our own snorkel equipment. The whole day cost us less than $5! I would do it again in a heartbeat. Wish I was there now... :)

We just got off Victory on the 18th. Had a wonderful time - it was our first cruise and absolutely loved it. We will write a review later this week sometime. In the meantime, if you have any questions, just ask!

I read your review down to coming next day in St. Thomas. How do I get to that? Your review is great, we are not going until March 2010, but I am so excited, can't wait, & your review is just what I need to help me thru.

I read your review down to coming next day in St. Thomas. How do I get to that? Your review is great, we are not going until March 2010, but I am so excited, can't wait, & your review is just what I need to help me thru.

When you get down to the bottom of the page, click on page 2 to continue and so on.

Have you been able to review yet? I was hoping to read your review but I just had not seen it.

Thanks Stacey 779. Once you get off the ship, can you provide me with directions to get to Paynes Bay beach via the bus? Appreciate your help.

Well it’s been almost a year since we did this, but if I remember correctly, walk straight out of the cruise terminal and walk along the water (there is a sidewalk and the water will be on your right). I think you’ll be walking about 5-10 minutes. After you pass the Pelican Village shopping center you’ll see the bus terminal on your left. We went to a window at the terminal to get the tokens (they take USD). You can ask the person giving you the tokens which bus to get on. It should say Speightstown I believe. When you get on the bus, just ask the driver if it goes to Paynes Bay and to let you know which stop to get off on. Everyone I talked to was friendly and helpful. Oh, it’s a good idea to grab one of those tourist maps when you’re walking through the cruise terminal on the way off the ship. It will give you a good idea of where you are while you’re traveling on the bus.

When you get to the beach, you have two options. You can swim out to see the turtles yourself (look for the catamarans with the huge tour groups) or you can catch a ride from the vendor on the beach (I think he has a glass bottom boat). We just swam out to see them on our own, but we are strong swimmers, so if you’re not I would reconsider. You might want to bring a floatation device. We also brought our own snorkel gear – I don’t think there is anywhere at the beach to rent it.

On the way back, look for the bus that says Bridgetown (and remember they drive on the opposite side of the road, so make sure you’re waiting on the correct side). You can also take a taxi to or from the beach, but of course that will cost you more (I’m not sure how much).

One other thing to remember, there are two types of buses. There are privately-owned mini buses, and then there are the government buses. The government bus is the one you’ll be boarding at the terminal. These buses are primarily blue with yellow stripes. The private ones looked a little bit smaller and I think are primarily yellow. I think you can ride either, but we took the government bus both ways (I don’t know if the private buses will take the tokens).

I hope I’m not making this sound too complicated, because it really wasn’t. I’m just trying to be thorough. I'd also recommend checking out the Barbados board here on CC, and the Barbados transport board website for more info about routes, rates, and to see pictures of the buses: http://www.transportboard.com/index.php

Have a great time! :)

Edited by Stacey779

you all have gotten me so excited for our honeymoon cruise on the Victory next year, I think I'm more excited for this then the actual wedding day! Thank you for all of your beautiful pictures and advice! next I'm headed to the poc board to start researching excursions! thank you all!!!

We were interested in renting a scooter on one of the islands on our southern caribbean cruise. We really just want to explore ourselves and stop at a few beaches. Any idea which island would be most condusive for this? Definitely not dominica, we have that planned. Thanks!!!!

Check out our pics from Victory in September (in sig below)

St. Thomas-Magens Bay, definitely!

Barbados-Rockley Beach (the locals call it Accra Beach)

St. Lucia-nice beaches

St. Kitts-Cockleshell Beach

If Antigua is still on the itinerary they have nice beaches too.

Have fun!

Edited by Cigar Dude

For those on the Victory recently....

Who was the cruise director and how was he or she?

We just got off the Victory on 10/25, and Lenny Halliday was our CD. He was OK....funny at times, corny at others, but overall, fine. We really didn't see a lot of him, since we were off the ship each day while in port.

Karen