All things "Victory"

richbum

We sailed last week on the Victory, will help where I can.

This week-end will start to write my review. If there is anything special you would like to know or specfic pictures you would like to see just let me know. We were traveling with 2 cameras and a flip video... Chances are I have a picture of anything that interests you!!

Hello! I CAN NOT wait for your review! I want details, and pictures! While I'm waiting though-what did you do in all of the ports? What was your favorite island? What deck did you stay on? Thank you for feeding my excitement:)

We just returned home from the Victory late last night....this was our first Carnival cruise, but our 5th cruise overall. This was a very relaxing cruise for us (even though it was port intensive). We stayed in cabin 9262 on the Lido deck...couldn't beat the location!!! Just a few pics...

I just booked my mom in a balcony on the Lido Deck.

Was there much noise? Did people using the stairs bother you?

Any issues at night (with noise)?

Stayed in 9290 on Lido. Absolutely quiet. At first I thought that may be a problem with the noise from the pool deck above. But at the cabin location, the deck is rising up and is almost 1 extra deck above the cabin. Also, the cabin is at the end of the corridor, with very few traffic and far enough from stairs and elevators.

We had no issue with noise at all. The first night was just a little loud, but after that...nothing!!! We were very close to the elevators and stairs, so I was a little worried at first. It turned out to be a wonderful location! :D

:D

My best answers based on when the Carnival Destiny was sailing at 10PM from this same pier.

1. People started arriving about 10:30-11AM. They started check in about 11.

2. The embarkation time varies based on customs. For me it was 2:30PM. I have heard on other sailings it was as early as 1PM.

3. Yes, after the muster drill, there is a sail-away on deck. It's a pretty sight to see SJU fade away, go past the fort, and off into the night.

4. No, it's a minimal number of people who usually board in Barbados. No sail-away, just like any other port departure.

Mike in Ohio

Thanks!

I will cut and paste this info on our roll call thread!!

I posted this earlier with no response. We are still trying to see which island we could rent a scooter from to explore the island ourselves....safely!

We were interested in renting a scooter on one of the islands on our southern caribbean cruise. We really just want to explore ourselves and stop at a few beaches. Any idea which island would be most condusive for this? Definitely not dominica, we have that planned. Thanks!!!!

I posted this earlier with no response. We are still trying to see which island we could rent a scooter from to explore the island ourselves....safely!

We were interested in renting a scooter on one of the islands on our southern caribbean cruise. We really just want to explore ourselves and stop at a few beaches. Any idea which island would be most condusive for this? Definitely not dominica, we have that planned. Thanks!!!!

I think that Barbados is a great island for renting a scooter. Better roads than most on this cruise and great beaches, but can be a bit heavy on traffic depending on where you drive and time. Maybe also St. Kitts.

My cruise over New Years is well booked up, with some availabiity. I check every day. I am currently empress deck, midship, balcony. I just saw today an opening in the side 9A balconies, I know they renamed them, but they are the ones in the back side, the shaded grey ones. NOT the wraps, or the aft, but the "side premium balcony? The prob is they are on deck 8 and one is under schooner bar, the other is on other side under pool area i think.... 8422 and 8427. Im not sure or layout, or if it would be worth the move from my midship location. I also heard being on the even numbered side is better on this itinerary for views......as I am on the odd numbered side in 7345 currently. We are only 2 people so the aft wrap which also is open now, is NOT necessary for us. But the side ones might be. Anyone have any thoughts?

Is anyone else on the Victory on March 21, 2010? There isn't much activity on the roll call for this date. This will be our first cruise....for our 10th anniversary.

Has anyone done the Titou Gorge tour with Bumpiing tours? It sounds great, but I am nervous about the cold water. I was hoping that someone had done this tour and could give me an idea of how cold the water is.

We did this tour in Sept. and the water was a bit chilly, but once we got in we were fine.

Which island(s) have "must see" beaches? I'm trying to figure out which ports will be beach days.

Trunk Bay in St. John was beautiful. We also went to Accra Beach in Barbados and Jolly Beach in Antigua. You will not be disappointed with any of these.

Trunk Bay

CarnivalVictorySept09120.jpg?t=1258918267

Accra Beach in Barbados

CarnivalVictorySept09297.jpg?t=1258918642

Jolly Beach in Antigua

CarnivalVictorySept09589.jpg?t=1258918971

For those that have been on this cruise before, are there any ports that have things close enough to the port so that you wouldn't have to book an excursion for every port? This is our first cruise, so we would like to maybe do a little shopping and site seeing at one or two of the ports instead of shore excursions. Which of the ports is best suited for this? We have already booked a tour with Cosol and are thinking about booking with Levi Baron.

For those that have been on this cruise before, are there any ports that have things close enough to the port so that you wouldn't have to book an excursion for every port? This is our first cruise, so we would like to maybe do a little shopping and site seeing at one or two of the ports instead of shore excursions. Which of the ports is best suited for this? We have already booked a tour with Cosol and are thinking about booking with Levi Baron.
all but barbados is within walking distance of shopping and taxi stations. barbados docked in what appeared to be a shipping yard. there's a few souvenir shops at the peir there but nothing major. you'll be going to st. martin instead of antigua so i'm not sure what the port will be like there. we liked the itinerary so much we're doing it again next year. have a great cruise:)

I am interested in Carnival's land and sea soufriere tour, and upon researching, I could not find one from a private tour operator. Cosol does not do the catamaran part, and serenity was like 450 dollars! I was wondering if there is an OPEN van tour with sea part. I am hesitant sitting in a closed van for 4 hours!!! Anyone have any ideas or reviews from this tour via carnival. Was the van comfortable to be in for so long? I'd hate to be inside a van if It's a gorgeous day! Maybe do you stop so much that it breaks up the 4 hours?

My cruise over New Years is well booked up, with some availabiity. I check every day. I am currently empress deck, midship, balcony. I just saw today an opening in the side 9A balconies, I know they renamed them, but they are the ones in the back side, the shaded grey ones. NOT the wraps, or the aft, but the "side premium balcony? The prob is they are on deck 8 and one is under schooner bar, the other is on other side under pool area i think.... 8422 and 8427. Im not sure or layout, or if it would be worth the move from my midship location. I also heard being on the even numbered side is better on this itinerary for views......as I am on the odd numbered side in 7345 currently. We are only 2 people so the aft wrap which also is open now, is NOT necessary for us. But the side ones might be. Anyone have any thoughts?

We just returned from the Victory. The aft balconies are incredible. You can't beat the view and we had more breeze than our friends on the side. We had 8428 (the aft wrap). It was wonderful. We spent no time on the Lido deck but enjoyed sail-away every evening on the balcony and woke up every mornig to incredible views. It was so worth the money and now I am very spoiled and will always be asking for an aft balcony. The extra perk was that I could always find my room and considering my terrible sense of direction that was definitely a big plus!!!

We just returned from the Victory. The aft balconies are incredible. You can't beat the view and we had more breeze than our friends on the side. We had 8428 (the aft wrap). It was wonderful. We spent no time on the Lido deck but enjoyed sail-away every evening on the balcony and woke up every mornig to incredible views. It was so worth the money and now I am very spoiled and will always be asking for an aft balcony. The extra perk was that I could always find my room and considering my terrible sense of direction that was definitely a big plus!!!

My previous post was for this poster....just figured out how to reply to a particular post :)

St. Thomas and St. Martin are easy to do on your own, especially for shopping. Both have shopping that is walking distance or a cheap taxi away from the pier. In St. Martin you can pay $6 per person for an all day unlimited pass on the water taxi. It drops you right off near shopping and a beach (and is located right there at the cruise pier). Dominica and St. Lucia are good islands to book excursions on because it's hard to do on your own (you'll have an awesome time with Cosol). On Barbados, we walked to the bus station and took a bus over to Paynes Bay for the day. Hope that helps! :)

We've been to St Maarten twice and both times spent a fortune. The shopping there is very good. We've gotten really good deals on cameras and jewelry. Dont accept their first price offer. Everyone will bargain with you for a better deal. My shy wife became an expert haggler in a very short time.

We took a taxi to the beach in the morning and spent the afternoon shopping. Beware of the nude beach - people wear their birthday suits but many forget to iron it :)

Edited by rpetrillo

We've been to St Maarten twice and both times spent a fortune. The shopping there is very good. We've gotten really good deals on cameras and jewelry. Dont accept their first price offer. Everyone will bargain with you for a better deal.

Very true! It also helps to leave the shop and come back later if you're negotiating on a particular item. They'll give you a better deal if they know you've been around comparison shopping.