All things "Victory"

richbum

The duty free shops in the airport, in the cruise terminal and on the ship sell TONS of alcohol! I never knew they had stopped?????

That's a good question. I read somewhere that all the Stores in San Juan are duty free for US Citizens.

Also, anyone know if the duty free liquor stores are open at 11pm at the airport? Im hoping to pick some up before heading to our hotel!!

Sue

I just wanted to make a post about the customs inspection in SJ. I know there hasent been anyone asking about it lately, but incase someone was interested.

It SEEMS that they have tweeked the disembarkation process to be more smooth. They no longer have the long line ups to disembark on those "full custum" inspection days.

Thats what i gathered from our sailing Dec 20-27. Karl (the cruise director) was informing everyone that as of the last couple months they have come to some sort of agreement with customs? and they now use 2 seperate gangways for disembarkation. Non US citizens take one and US citizens take another.

Anyone else that was on any recent sailing, can you confirm? or did I hear it incorrectly. Was this always the process?

We are NON US citizens and it took no more than 10 minutes from our number being called to picking up our luggage.

I was on the 12/27 New Years Eve sailing and our number was called around 8:15 am and we were told the same thing about US citizens and non-US citizens usign two different decks to exit. I would say no more than 15 min passed from the time we left our cabin and were outside the terminal putting our luggage into a taxi. It was very smooth.

At the airport many people didnt realize that they had to go to the USDA scanners to have a sticker put on their bag BEFORE checking in to your flight. It took only 5 minutes BUT it's stupid because after they scan your luggage for USDA restricted items they GIVE the luggage back to you and you walk to the airline counter. At that point if I wanted to I could put all the food items, etc back into my bag without disturbing the little 2 inch sticker they put on.

I also was on the 12/27-1/3 cruise. The non US citizens and those who had boarded in barbados got off on Deck 3 and all US citizens got off at ZERO. We did NOT leave our luggage out the night b4....we carry ours off. So, although we had number 2 (we had a 11am flight home) we waited at the stairs on deck one (elevators no longer work below deck one on the disembark day)...we were able to walk off at 8am, and didnt even wait in a line......we got to where the lugage was stored , walked straight to customs, they asked if we bought jewelry and we were on our way. It literally took all of not even 5 minutes. Even the airport was a breeze. We went right to the USDA, had our bags scanned and checked in.....they were terrible though cause they never took my liquids from my carry ons and i had a huge thing of aloe and lotion.

HI,

I'm hoping someone can help me find this info out! I tried to google it & went to airport website but there wasn't any info on it!

1. Does SJU Airport have a bar inside that you could enjoy a drink while waiting for the rest of your group to arrive?

2. Does the airport have a Duty Free Liquor store inside that is still open at 11:00pm on a Saturday night?

TIA!

Sue

Thanks for sharing torontomale, repetrillo & Hdog!:)

What was your favorite island?

Did any of you tour with Woody in Dominica?

Hey Katicat-

I'll have to give you my review onboard the Victory after I get my tour with him on Jan 19th! :)

Barbados is my favorite for now...but I'm thinking St Lucia will be close behind!

Sue

I liked St Lucia a lot - I highly recommend Cosol Tours (cosol-tours.com)- for $65 we had a 6 hr tour that included a brunch stop where we sampled home cooked local food, a tour of a bananna plantation (with delicious samples), a stop at a waterfall, a sulphur spring and a beach stop at Jalousie Beach in between the Pitons (swimming adn snorkeling at teh beach - very beautiful) - lunch was a stop in town for some cheese and delicious fresh baked bread.

You are broken up into groups of 10 into different mini-buses with great tour guides (we had Baptiste). there is also a mini-bus which is the mobil bar and at various stops we can get unlimited beer, rum punch, soda, water, etc.

Compared to other tours I've taken - this is MORE than worth the $65 fee.

On Antigua at the beach I was offered some "Bob Marley smokes" on more than 3 occassions. But the beach was beautiful.

On St Thomas I booked Sonny liston tours where for $25 (I think its now $30 for the new year) he took you to the downtown shopping area for either 1, 2, or 3 hours of shopping (your choice), then 2 hrs of sightseeing and then 2 hrs at your choice of Coki Beach, Meagans Bay or Sapphire Beach.

If I wasnt leaving for a Hawai'i cruise in 86 days I would feel so blue now - the Victory Cruise was GREAT - the fact that it was New Years Eve on the cruise and the weather at home was below freezing the whole week - made the trip even more special!!!

Thanks for sharing torontomale, repetrillo & Hdog!:)

What was your favorite island?

Did any of you tour with Woody in Dominica?

I toured with Woody in Dominica........I'm VERY torn about leaving a review........He is a SUPER nice guy......He meets you outside the terminal near the bank, and was very easy to find. It really depends on what your looking for out of a tour. His vehicle is cool, its like an old school range rover, but actually we had to get it checked out at the shop b4 we left, there was a rattling noise......we were on our way after about 25 minutes. We spent A LOT of time in the car.......which wasnt my preference........we did get to see a HUGE part of the island......and he knew a lot......BUT, I cant say it was really worth the $220. We did NOT stop at some of the places I thought we would......we did not go to any sulphur springs.....we went to one off the beaten path beach but got out only for a few minutes for photos...and then spent about 45 minutes at another impossible to get to beach, but the water was rough and there was not sand to relax on as the water rushed all the way up to the tree line. I guess I feel like if it was GREAT, we would remember what we did, where we stoppped, but I remember only bits and peices. I know that we drove A LOT, but also passed the touristy spots as his tour does not go where its crowded or well known. It was very personal since it was just us.....and it was long, lasted 10:30 to 5 ish, but a huge part was spent driving. Again, it really is about what your looking for out of a tour. Im not sure what I expected and i want hugely upset but I wasnt thrilled. Again, i feel bad cause hes great, but i think for the right person. I will go home and review my photos and notes and describe more of what we did/saw

Favourite island is tough.

St Thomas - Beach, shopping. on our own. Beautiful island.

We swam with the turtles in Barbados - Great time! Totaly recommend it - Ocean Adventures, Silver moon cruises.

Dominica we took a tour with Reyno- Pretty good tour.

St. Lucia - Toured with Cosol - awsome tour, and beautiful island.

I liked St Lucia a lot - I highly recommend Cosol Tours (cosol-tours.com)- for $65 we had a 6 hr tour that included a brunch stop where we sampled home cooked local food, a tour of a bananna plantation (with delicious samples), a stop at a waterfall, a sulphur spring and a beach stop at Jalousie Beach in between the Pitons (swimming adn snorkeling at teh beach - very beautiful) - lunch was a stop in town for some cheese and delicious fresh baked bread.

You are broken up into groups of 10 into different mini-buses with great tour guides (we had Baptiste). there is also a mini-bus which is the mobil bar and at various stops we can get unlimited beer, rum punch, soda, water, etc.

Compared to other tours I've taken - this is MORE than worth the $65 fee.

On Antigua at the beach I was offered some "Bob Marley smokes" on more than 3 occassions. But the beach was beautiful.

On St Thomas I booked Sonny liston tours where for $25 (I think its now $30 for the new year) he took you to the downtown shopping area for either 1, 2, or 3 hours of shopping (your choice), then 2 hrs of sightseeing and then 2 hrs at your choice of Coki Beach, Meagans Bay or Sapphire Beach.

If I wasnt leaving for a Hawai'i cruise in 86 days I would feel so blue now - the Victory Cruise was GREAT - the fact that it was New Years Eve on the cruise and the weather at home was below freezing the whole week - made the trip even more special!!!

Rob, was the sunny liston tour ok?

I toured with Woody in Dominica........I'm VERY torn about leaving a review........He is a SUPER nice guy......He meets you outside the terminal near the bank, and was very easy to find. It really depends on what your looking for out of a tour. His vehicle is cool, its like an old school range rover, but actually we had to get it checked out at the shop b4 we left, there was a rattling noise......we were on our way after about 25 minutes. We spent A LOT of time in the car.......which wasnt my preference........we did get to see a HUGE part of the island......and he knew a lot......BUT, I cant say it was really worth the $220. We did NOT stop at some of the places I thought we would......we did not go to any sulphur springs.....we went to one off the beaten path beach but got out only for a few minutes for photos...and then spent about 45 minutes at another impossible to get to beach, but the water was rough and there was not sand to relax on as the water rushed all the way up to the tree line. I guess I feel like if it was GREAT, we would remember what we did, where we stoppped, but I remember only bits and peices. I know that we drove A LOT, but also passed the touristy spots as his tour does not go where its crowded or well known. It was very personal since it was just us.....and it was long, lasted 10:30 to 5 ish, but a huge part was spent driving. Again, it really is about what your looking for out of a tour. Im not sure what I expected and i want hugely upset but I wasnt thrilled. Again, i feel bad cause hes great, but i think for the right person. I will go home and review my photos and notes and describe more of what we did/saw

Hi,

This is interesting as I haven't seen one negative post regarding Woody!! LOL However, I understand sometimes when you have an expectation that it can be a let down. I'm sure I have my standards set very high for this tour. Hope I'm not disappointed!!!

I'm booked with Woody in less than 2 weeks. There will be 6 of us for the day. We've requested wine as part of our beverages including everything else that will be provided.

I would love to hear more about what you did get out & see..I mean besides from the SUV windows!!

Also, was this your first time in Dominica? I've been a few times & have seen the tourist areas so maybe I'll enjoy this more?

Sue

Edited by cruisegirl29
adding addtional question

torontomale26, I apologize to everyone, I know it's the victory thread, but since you recently went on Silvermoon...We are sailing on Victory March 14, and have booked the 24 person as 12 person cruise was full. I have 2 questions if you please answer, I would really appreciate it! Which cruise did you do with them and did you have time after the cruise to wander around the port? We are on the cancellation list for the 12 just in case, but I really feel either will be great. Thanks in advance!

Thanks so much to everyone who contributes! You have helped us plan & I know this will be a great trip because of all of your input!! :)

My vote would be for Levi of Bumpiing Tours on Dominica. He is very personable with each member in the tour group. He always tried to get everyone involved and treated you like a friend rather than a customer. He was the best tour guide out of all the islands we visited. Definately worth every penny we spent on this tour. When we got to Ti Tou Gorge, he jumped in the water and swam with the group. At the end of the tour, we went to Champange Reef and he snorkeled with us and pointed out different types of fish. You can't go wrong booking with Levi.

cruisegirl, wishIwasoutThereNow and my clocks are all the same;)

Cruisegirl- I've chated with Woody a few times email & added to face book he is just like a friend already.

I've asked him if he would like anything from Canada and he wants Player's Light cigarettes!

I'm collecting school supplies from my second week roll call for the children in Dominica and he'll help me deliver, no problem.

I hope I'm not disappointed either it's a pricey tour! $95 pp for 4 of us.

I have another question???

Has anyone tried anytime dining yet?

How long has it been offered and if they are organized yet?

Thank you

cruisegirl, wishIwasoutThereNow and my clocks are all the same;)

Cruisegirl- I've chated with Woody a few times email & added to face book he is just like a friend already.

I've asked him if he would like anything from Canada and he wants Player's Light cigarettes!

I'm collecting school supplies from my second week roll call for the children in Dominica and he'll help me deliver, no problem.

I hope I'm not disappointed either it's a pricey tour! $95 pp for 4 of us.

I have another question???

Has anyone tried anytime dining yet?

How long has it been offered and if they are organized yet?

Thank you

Hi Katiecat...

Yes clocks are the same, same cruise ship & sailing!! LOL...

Yes, I've also had great communication with him via FB & Email. I love the IM mode on FB & it works well with instant notification!

Great idea asking him if he would like something from your country! love it. Maybe I'll have to FB him & ask if he would like anything from the US or Michigan! I have 6 & it's 75.00 pp. Plus I've requested 2 bottles of white wine in addition to all the other goodies & he said no problem! I think we'll enjoy his tour! I've been to Dominica a few times so I'm ready for something different.

Anytime dining I think started in October or November. I've heard great things about it!!! I wish I could try it this time but with 34 of us it would be impossible I think! Next cruise I will definetly try it out. Are you doing the anytime dining???

Sue

I'm curious about the anytime dining too. Since we have 14 for Jan. 17 sailing, we have a 6 and 8 and hope to change around so we all eat with each other. We weren't offered the anytime option. Whoever asked about Silvermoon 24, we did it last year and are doing it again. Wasn't crowded even with 24. Crew attentive, lunch great and fabulous scenery. We didn't book Cosol for St. Lucia, did Herod instead. Hope we made a good choice. Any comments from anyone? Airport: not sure you can buy duty free when you come in to the airport. We bought it as we were flying out to home. It was put in a locked bag and we took it on the plane as a carry on (it didn't count as our one carry on each). Wonder if that will still be the case after the security horror on December 25?

Libtrek

can shore excursions be booked on the cabin television on the victory?...and can your account balance be called up too? thanks in advance,

tommy

man...look at that beautiful countdown clock...

Not sure about booking shore excursions via TV but I know that we pulled up our account everyday on the TV. If you have a problem accessing the account, turn the Tv off for about 15 seconds and turn it back on. Our cabin steward told us to do this and it worked like a charm. Happy sailing, this was a great trip.

torontomale26, I apologize to everyone, I know it's the victory thread, but since you recently went on Silvermoon...We are sailing on Victory March 14, and have booked the 24 person as 12 person cruise was full. I have 2 questions if you please answer, I would really appreciate it! Which cruise did you do with them and did you have time after the cruise to wander around the port? We are on the cancellation list for the 12 just in case, but I really feel either will be great. Thanks in advance!

Thanks so much to everyone who contributes! You have helped us plan & I know this will be a great trip because of all of your input!! :)

We were on the 24 person, about 20 people came. You do not notice the amount of people at all, its a big enough catameran. We had about 1 1/2 hrs to explore the port area before needing to be on the ship.

This is a great tour, and you will love it. The staff and owner are great, and the food was pretty good too.

I would recommend anytime dinning for this type of cruise. We did not do it (and personally It never interested me) but wish that for this cruise we did.

Since the ships that I have been on have almost always sailed before 6 pm (early seating) I've never had the need or desire to choose anytime dining. I happen to like eating at the same time each day and getting to know our tablemates (we've been lucky with great ones each cruise) and sharing our day's experiences.

During Easter Week I am doing the NCl Hawai's cruise and they offer anytime dining. Since we spend two days on each island and I probably will NOT be on board before dinner some days I like the anytime option.

I liked Sunny's Tour a lot - well worth the money. I wouldnt compare it to Cosol which was awesome but it was very good and I would recommend him.

Rob, let me pick your brain again.

What did you do in St. Kitts? We are probably going to do a beach day there and are trying to decide whether we should go to Cockshell or South Frigate Bay (I believe that's the name) This is the only Island I haven't been to before.

Thanks