All things "Victory"

richbum

Rob, let me pick your brain again.

What did you do in St. Kitts? We are probably going to do a beach day there and are trying to decide whether we should go to Cockshell or South Frigate Bay (I believe that's the name) This is the only Island I haven't been to before.

Thanks

We did some last minute shopping at all the shops near the pier. Since St Kitt's is Victory's last stop of a 7 day port intensive cruise, most passengers have already spent their money so the store owners are quick to haggle and make deals for any customer. My wife picked up some nice jewelry at a discounted price.

We went to Cockleshell after that. Taxi's are $26 each way but at the taxi stand if you find another couple or family also going there you can split the cost. The driver we had even gave us a tour on the way stopping for a photo op. He asked us what time we wanted to be picked up and wouldnt take the money until the pick up. I found this strange since i could see people wanting to leave early and just grabbing another taxi from the many waiting at the entrance.

The water was very nice, although i suggest not getting there too late or you may risk not getting a beach chair. If you have kids, there are lots and lots of different shells that wash up onto the beach. The lady next to us even found a nice conch shell and I found a sea fan. There is a restaurant on the beach with decent food as well as a bar. There is also a shop that rents snorkel gear, floating mats (which my wife enjoyed), etc. as well as a gift shop.

You can even meet the famous Wilburt the pig (a VERY large boar with tusks that is the beach mascot) and Oliver the monkey.

I cant comment on Frigate since I've never been there but we had a VERY enjoyable, relaxing last day at Cockleshell.

Edited by rpetrillo

I'm sure this was asked already but I couldn't find the answers quick enough. What is the earliest time for boarding. Is it 12:00 pm? The person who did the planning for our group cruise told everyone 2:30. Also, what exactly do I need to have with me to board the ship. Just the fun pass or the whole e-doc. I don't want to print out all this paper if I don't need it. Thanks.

I'm sure this was asked already but I couldn't find the answers quick enough. What is the earliest time for boarding. Is it 12:00 pm? The person who did the planning for our group cruise told everyone 2:30. Also, what exactly do I need to have with me to board the ship. Just the fun pass or the whole e-doc. I don't want to print out all this paper if I don't need it. Thanks.

You only need the funpass and your passport and a credit card for your sail and sign account (if thats your method of payment). We got to pier at 11:30am. There were about 15 people/groups ahead of us. I wouldn't get there before 11. We did have to wait till I think 1:30 before they let us onto the ship, and I think 2:30 before our rooms were ready.

Since St Kitt's is Victory's last stop of a 7 day port intensive cruise, most passengers have already spent their money so the store owners are quick to haggle and make deals for any customer.

Victory's itinerary has changed as of the Jan. 1, 2010. The ports are now:

Day Port of Call

San Juan 10:00pm

St. Thomas 7:00am 5:00pm

Dominica 10:00am 6:00pm

Barbados 8:00am 5:00pm

St. Lucia 8:00am 5:00pm

St. Kitts 8:00am 6:00pm

St. Maarten 7:00am 5:00pm

San Juan 7:00am

Victory's itinerary has changed as of the Jan. 1, 2010. The ports are now:

Day Port of Call

San Juan 10:00pm

St. Thomas 7:00am 5:00pm

Dominica 10:00am 6:00pm

Barbados 8:00am 5:00pm

St. Lucia 8:00am 5:00pm

St. Kitts 8:00am 6:00pm

St. Maarten 7:00am 5:00pm

San Juan 7:00am

Carnival did send us a notice of the change a few months ago but thanks.

I wish I was going to Antigua though a new island for me. It was:(

Keep the news flowing we are all checking daily of new events.

Thanks to everybody for this great thread!

I like St Maarten better than Antigua. My wife thinks it has the best shopping in the Caribbean. I do know that both times that I have been to Antigua, I was offered drugs numerous times - but the beaches were very nice and we went to Stingray City which was a VERY good excursion as you swim and snorkel with giant stingrays (and not in a tank or pool).

If you are into horseback riding - checkout Bayside stables near Orient Beach. Much cheaper than any of the ship excursions. You ride down to the beach and then get a chance to take the horses into the water. Really cool. But they do take the saddles off and you ride bareback into the sea- a first for me. But your guide is there to help you.

Also, if you are going to St Maarten with kids- Orient beach is lovely but half the beach is a nude beach (not just topless, but the full monty) and people do wander over to the clothed side. For those into spectator sports, just keep in mind that although most of the people on that side of the beach are in their "birthday suits" - many of them are not ironed :)

Edited by rpetrillo

I like St Maarten better than Antigua. My wife thinks it has the best shopping in the Caribbean. I do know that both times that I have been to Antigua, I was offered drugs numerous times - but the beaches were very nice and we went to Stingray City which was a VERY good excursion as you swim and snorkel with giant stingrays (and not in a tank or pool).

If you are into horseback riding - checkout Bayside stables near Orient Beach. Much cheaper than any of the ship excursions. You ride down to the beach and then get a chance to take the horses into the water. Really cool. But they do take the saddles off and you ride bareback into the sea- a first for me. But your guide is there to help you.

Also, if you are going to St Maarten with kids- Orient beach is lovely but half the beach is a nude beach (not just topless, but the full monty) and people do wander over to the clothed side. For those into spectator sports, just keep in mind that although most of the people on that side of the beach are in their "birthday suits" - many of them are not ironed :)

I do like St.Maartens for the shopping & the beach is right there with budweiser on the corner for $1.25 can't beat that deal on the ship.

I'm very content right there for the day.:)

I just stayed in the Howard Johnsons in Old San Juan for $100. It wasnt fancy but it was clean and you can literally walk to the pier in 5 min. The Sheraton right across the street from the pier is much nicer but at much more money. We rather have saved the extra $200 and used it for an excursion.

The HoJo is right around the corner from Barachina;s a nice restaurant/bar (where they supposedly invented the Pina Colada). Make a reservation in advance for 7:30 PM on Saturday and you get a free Flamenco dancing show. (google them to find their website)

As we have been to San Juan a few times before, we have already done the walking tours so this time we rented a car and drove to El Yunque Rainforest (an easy 45 min drive). You can also stop by the beach on the way back. You can rent a car from Hertz at the counter in the Sheraton hotel across from the pier for around $40+ a day. But make sure it is returned there before 4 pm otherwise you will have to either leave the car with the hotel valet (for a fee) or return it to the airport location and take a taxi back. We picked up the car 8 am on Sunday and returned it at 3:45 pm then just walked onto the ship. It was very convenient.

Enjoy your trip - we just returned from the New Years Eve Victory Cruise after a week of 80++ degrees of sunny weather to a week of 20 degrees of freezing. Guess which week I preferred. But I am surviving by counting down the days until our April cruise to Hawaii on NCL.

Edited by rpetrillo

We sail on the Victory June 20th! I have read to page 40 of this thread so far, and am amazed at the valuable information and gorgeous pictures contained within! At this point, I think we will have a favorite new ship and itinerary when we return.

I know that the itinerary changed effective January 1st. Please post reviews of excursions and tour companies for St. Maarten!

Also, curious as to the tour prices for Stephen Ambrose Tours... website says to contact them, (which I can do) but wanting to know what others paid. We are interested in the West Coast Delight Tour.

Again, thanks for everyone posting! This is awesome information!

I am booked for March 7th - looking for info on a reasonably priced, clean hotel in old san juan...any ideas? tx!

Hi,

I'm staying at the boutique hotel - Le Consulat this weekend. It has decent reviews & the price is really inexpensive.

Here is the link:

http://www.ascendcollection.com/hotel-san_juan-puerto_rico-PR019

Sue

I know somebody will pop in here after this weeks cruise. I wanted to know 2 things. Did they continue with the Red Tag on carry on bags with liquor in them and who was the piano bar entertainer. I understand it changed on 1/3/10.

So looking at the deck plans on carnivals site, do I assume that rooms that don't have a symbol include king size beds or are they 2 twins that have to be pushed together?

6429 is a wheelchair room, with 2 twin on the floor which make a king bed & one upper bed.

Is there a midnight buffet or a chocolate buffet one night?

There was no chocolate buffet, and on New Years eve they had a late night buffet. There was a night where there were a ton of cakes out, but NOT like RCCL chocolate buffet

We were on the 24 person, about 20 people came. You do not notice the amount of people at all, its a big enough catameran. We had about 1 1/2 hrs to explore the port area before needing to be on the ship.

This is a great tour, and you will love it. The staff and owner are great, and the food was pretty good too.

No problem my DisMate!...As I said on my previous posted,..In DIS, we looks like a big family,... One VICTORY is ALL VICTORY!...right?....:p