All things "Victory"

richbum

Explanation please? What, where, when, how, why, whatever?

Thanks so much!

This is a US dept of Agriculture check in you must do when departing. There are at least 2 check points, the lines may be long but the move fairly quickly. As you enter the check in are there is one on the left and one on the right. Look for lines running to the side. There will be many lines. I suggest asking, "Is this the USDA line". You bags will be put through a scanner and they will put a little white sticker on each bag- even CARRY ON. Keep an eye on your stickers I saw many on the floor at bag check.

After USDA you will need to check bags with your airline. Again, there will be many lines and I would ask as you approach what you think is your line.

Hint: After bag check enter the terminal area and go to the left and go through secuirty for Terminal C. Most US bound flights fly out of B. B has longer security lines. But here is the secret- the terminals connect after both security check points.

The ship does offer express bag service for 20 dollars a person (plus any airline baggage fees)and you will not have to do USDA for bag check, they will even get you your boarding passes. The deadline for signing up for this is Thurs night 7pm. I thought we were going to do this but I lost track of the days (I guess that is a good thing).

On the March 14th sailing, in checked bags the alcohol went through just fine. In carry-ons I saw them tagging the bags & they followed that person(s) through the concourse by radioing (is that a word :confused:) ahead to each other until you reached the point to check the alcohol in at the ship. I saw no way someone could cut off the tags as previous posters have suggested.

Several people I talked to said they had larger bottles in their checked bags that were fine. We did carry on Champagne for our anniversary, but it was only 1 bottle. As far as smuggling, we had 4 shot sized bottles for use in our room, and a large bar tab at the end! :D

You can safely carry on 2 bottles of wine, and I am sure if you checked no more than 1 or 2 bottles in each piece you would be ok too! Good luck & have a safe trip! It is a fabulous itinerary and we enjoyed every port! Hope you do as well!

According to this page, the Victory is scheduled for dry-dock this November. Other than scraping the barnacles and some paint, anybody know how to find out what the planned renovations / modifications are?

Interesting. I board on November 21. I hope everything is finished.

Oh wow.... I am waiting to see if I can coordinate my free airmiles flights with the cruise want to sail on the Victory as I totally LOVE the look of the itinerary.

I am so excited at the thought of travelling (04/13/11) that I feel sick :D

Hoping to do a few days in Barbados both before, and after the cruise.

Hopefully my two vacations in between now and then can keep me going and my impatience at bay lol

Thanks for the pics! All I really remember is her being very Green compared to other ships - and the Red and Black Room. :eek:

Nice boat. I can't wait to see what changes they have made. :)

Is it as green as it looks in the pictures? That is the first thing I noticed when I looked at pictures of the ship.

Well, since there's no one to talk to yet on my roll calll (Victory 3/13/11), guess I can chat here. This will actually be my 2nd time on Victory - first April 2006.

Would be interested in any recent experiences with the Seaside Theater. What times in the evening do they show movies? We're used to Princess' MUTS that had an evening movie that usually started between 9 and 10 at night. If there's a late movie is it something more adult-fare, near current runs. We really liked MUTS on Princess.

Look forward to finding out what refurbs are taking place if there is a November dry dock.

This will be our first time w/out a balcony. Looking for cheap and booked a 1A. xing fingers for some good deals later.

This will be our first time w/out a balcony. Looking for cheap and booked a 1A. xing fingers for some good deals later.

I can't speak for the other 1A's but I managed to get one of the 1A's with windows (2444 and 2445) in March of this year and it was awesome, even had a queen bed which was a pleasant surprise and with a couch and two windows definitely felt like I scored for $690. Loved it so much I scheduled the same cabin for next year, not easy to get but I was willing to search the dates to get the same cabin (still only $706 traveling solo).

Did excursions every day and they were amazing but didn't do much on the Victory so can't help with the theatre, I know they had a few good movies, but to tired by the time they came on. Loved the ship though, never felt too crowded, very friendly crew, awesome steward.

Have fun.

Nan

Hi Nan!

I did my homework and grabbed #2444. I'm surprised you had a queen bed since everything I've read says those are one lower/one upper. Which cabin # were you specfically? Was it a real queen and wouldn't convert to twins?

I was in 2444 and it was two twins pushed together. Steward even added a couple of comforters when I asked for a mattress pad. Definitely made for a soft bed and evened out any line between the two. Also remember plenty of room under the beds for luggage.

I was surprised, definitely was expecting the twin There was plenty of room with both so I'm hoping it is always this way.

I vaguely remember seeing a post that said they can add a twin on occasion, it seems like a lot of trouble however, so I'm assuming there is always the two in the room. The bed in the ceiling was there also although almost not noticable and it was above the queen bed.

I know it varies but 2444 was perfect for the ports for me. I had a view no matter where I was in the room, even sitting on the couch you could see out the windows in the mirror. Great port view in 3-4 of the ports (it seems like two of the ports are mostly cargo areas if I remember right), hardly left my room I was so comfortable, lido directly above so around the corner and took the elevator up and brought back my dinner usually.

The only minus was the TV was terrible, so if that is something you do a laptop is a great option. I had mine along with all my favorite movies so hardly noticed.

Edited by dolfndreams

This gives me hope! I have cabin #2445 for my cruise in May. I booked it when I thought I would be traveling solo. A few weeks later, my sister decided to join me. I'm hoping that we'll have two twins on the floor (even if configured as a queen), so that she won't have to sleep on the top bunk.

• 1 month later...

I cruise out this coming Sunday and would like any last minute updates/secrets/things I can't miss per port. I think i'm going cross eyed from trying to read up on everyone's reviews. I just need someone to tell me what to do at each port. :) Thanks.

I cruise out this coming Sunday and would like any last minute updates/secrets/things I can't miss per port. I think i'm going cross eyed from trying to read up on everyone's reviews. I just need someone to tell me what to do at each port. :) Thanks.

There is so much to see and do on this itinerary. There were a few highlights for us on this cruise.

Dominica - Titou Gorge among others on Bumpiing Tours.

St. Lucia - Seeing the Pitons, beaching at Jalousie Beach (in between the Pitons) and driving into the volcano near Soufiere. This was all done on Cosol Tours.

The rest of our touring was great too, but these two tours stood out more than the others for us.

Enjoy your cruise!

Well. . .there are just so many options to choose from ie: see sights by land, catamaran or train, relax on a beautiful tropical beach, go snorkeling, swim under waterfalls, river tubing, hiking, ziplining. . .that it really depends on what interests you, as that is what will give you the most out of your port excursion.

I know that it is overwhelming trying to figure out what to do at each port--especially on an itinerary like the Victory as it has so many ports to plan excursions on! I spent hours reading through the forums to come up with possible tours for our family.

I have put together an outline of the Victory's ports of call and some suggested tour operators. ( I do not have any tour operators researched for St. Maarten, because when we cruised on the Victory we went to Antigua instead). Hopefully this will help you to narrow down what there is to do at each port stop along with some tour operators recommended by CC.

In St. Thomas if you want to see sights and relax on a beach, than a tour with Sunny Liston, Airforce 1 Papa Bear, Godfrey, Spider man or Island Marketing will do. These tours are inexpensive but do not provide food--and it does require travelling around in an open air vehicle.

In Dominica, Antours, Woody, and Levi Bumpiing Tours are well known and highly recommended. You can visit waterfalls, go river tubing, visit a Caribe village or go hiking here!

Barbados has alot of everything--from sightseeing and beach stops, ziplining, swimming with turtles or visiting Harrisons Cave. You can take a land tour with such operators as Cameron Reid, Scenic Barbados Tours, Glory Tours, Johnson Tours, or Coconut tours or explore the island on a jeep safari with Adventureland. If you want to go on the seas and swim with the turtles you can take a excursion on a catamaran like the Tiami, Silver Moon, Calabaza or Shasa. These are popular excursions and lunch is provided.

St. Lucia has island tours that take you to beautiful beaches, breathtaking vistas and allows you to taste food from that culture. Spencer Ambrose Tours, Serenity (although I found them to be more expensive than Carnival), Cosol, Fabian Tours, Frank, Herod and Bernard from St. Lucia Taxi Man are some highly recommended tour operators. You can also go ziplining or if you are adventurous, even climb the Gros Piton!

St. Kitts also offers sightseeing by land, catamaran or train. You can stop at a beach or even go Ziplining. Some recommeded tour operators are Thenford Grey, Everton Delaney, Royston Tours and St. Kitts Tour Store.

I have not included all the tour operators but tried to mention some of the more popular and recommended tour operators from CC. When it comes right down to it you have to choose what interests you and go for it.

Now, here is a brief summary of what we did:

St. Thomas--Island Tour and Sapphire Beach with Airforce 1 Papa Bear

Dominica--Emerald Pool and River Tubing down the Layou River with Antours

Barbados--Harrisons' Cave, Bathsheba on the East Coast, St. John's Parish Church and Accra/Rockley Beach with Scenic Barbados Tours

St. Lucia--Banana Plantation, Sulphur Springs, Toraille Waterfall, Jalousie Beach and lots to eat with Spencer Ambrose Tours

Antigua--Best of Paradise Island Tour, Devil's Bridge and Long Bay Beach with Gordon

St. Kitts--Zipline Safari

If you check out my review (the link is in my signature), you can see photos and get more information about the excursions we did.

Well, I hope I haven't overwhelmed you more! :confused: You will have a fantastic cruise visiting some of the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean.

Good Luck with your planning! ;)

Edited by dz63

Here are some compiled ideas from cruising that may help:

Pre cruise:

Make sure that your bank and credit card company are aware that you will be out of the country. They will note it on your account so you won't be flagged for fraudulent activity.

The Bon Voyage Department will help you with your order for purchases of Alcohol. 1-800-522-7648.

All water/soda needs to be packed in a carry on that will be scanned through the terminal. One 12 pack per person

Carry on cannot exceed 16"h x 24"w

Cross pack everyone's clothes that way if a piece of luggage gets lost everyone will still have clothes to wear.

-Bring your bathing suit and a change of clothes in your carry on. Sometimes it takes a while for you to get the rest of your luggage. Some people just wear their bathing suit under their clothes so they can enjoy the pool and hot tubs as soon as they get on the ship.

-pack any meds in carry on

-bring lots of $1 singles and $5's. Tips and taxi fare, even shopping will not get as much local money back in change if you have smaller bills. Much easier to pay taxi,tip and hop out than wait for "change"

Although my son loves certain foreign coins to use as golf ball markers

-duct tape, small amount to mend suitcases, tape a sliding closet door at night and we also striped ours with a bright color, and handle colors- there are a lot of black suitcases out there and now my red suitcase is more common.

-travel alarm that is battery operated as no clock visible in room at night, this goes also for a nightlite or small flashlite to get to bathroom at night.

-Cell phone and camera charger.

-Highlighter so you can highlight the interesting things to do in the Capers.

-post it notes to leave notesfor steward or cabin mates

-Hot/Cold insulated cup with a lid. That way you don't have to keep refilling up their little cups with lemonade, juice, coffee or ice tea.

-Zip lock bags. Good for packing wet bathing suits in for the flight or ride home. Many other uses for them as well.

In Old San Juan:

Soda,water,forgotten items: The new CVS is to the left if you are standing on the street with your back to the ship/water. It is directly on the main street. They have also moved Senor Frogs to the main street since the last time I was in OSJ. It is just about next door to the CVS---this should help you get your bearings since you can see the big green frog on the top of the building very easliy!!!

There is also a Walgreens further in a few blocks.

On ship:

Right away

- if interested in Behind the Fun tour- go to shore excursion desk and book right away. They usually have only one or two tours for 16 people.

Never have read a bad review about this tour. It is not advertized until first shore excursion talk, so as a CruiseCritic reader you are in the know! It is normally on last day of cruise; a private behind the scenes tour of galley,bridge,crew areas,theater behind stage etc.

-Go to the dining room as soon as you get on board and check out your table. If you are not happy with your table or dining time speak to the Maitre D and if it is possible he will help you get what you want.

-If you need postcards go to the pursers desk.......they have ones with the picture of the ship for free.

-The pursers desk will carry stamps of the different countries that you are going to. (last time I checked anyhow) I also preprint out address labels and slap them on postcards-makes it faster.

-return address labels bring to put on ship luggage tags for disembarking-saves time

-I also like to bring Thank you cards I hand write, and envelopes large enough to hold card & photos especially if they are in a photo (say wait staff, steward) as they were very appreciative of photos to mail home.

-The couch in your cabin has drawers built in underneath. They are a bear to open though, and find it not worth the struggle.

-There is lots of room under the bed to store all your suitcases so you don't have to have them out taking up room. I put laundry in there as week goes on.

-cabin phone has a wake up call service

- In spa there are private showers (free) just off locker room, ask for locker key at spa desk. They are multiple head showers like being in a rain forest. Very cool. Good place to take a shower if you have multiple people in your cabin trying to get ready for formal night. (No outlets or hairdryers though)

-You can order as many appetizers,entrees,desserts as you want in the dining room.

-Any pasta dish on the main entree section of the menu is also available as an appetizer.

-Cappuccino and Espresso are free in the dining room.

-You can order a whole pizza at the pizza stand with whatever toppings you want. It takes about 10 minutes but its worth it.

-The pizza place makes a great ceaser salad. They make great calzones also. You have to wait while they make them........about 10 minutes but they are great.

-There are usually two grill areas open on the deck. (One near each pool area) One of them only serves hot dogs and hamburgers. The other one does the hot dogs and the hamburgers but they also serve grilled chicken breast sandwiches and minute steak sandwiches.

-There is 24 hour soft serve ice cream and frozen yogurt. Make sure you check your Capers to find out what days there are sundae toppings.

-Coffee, Tea, Iced Tea, Lemonade, Fruit Punch, OJ, Milk and Lemonade are free!!!!!!!!!

-If you want orange juice any time remember the exact place you got it during breakfast time. All they do is remove the label, making you think there is no OJ.

-If you play slots:

You don't cash out.......you upload your money back on to your S & S card....... before you leave the machine! Otherwise if you look at it, it will show that the coins are still on the machine once you remove your card.

(Thanks to poster melodienj for some of above ideas I have compiled.)

Barbados:

Cruise terminal has shopping and and there's Pelican Village craft center, just out beyond the Port's gatehouse by about 200 yds. -on your left (sorry no pics of PelicanVillage) (1/2 mile) Here is web link to Barbados Tourism page, it also has info on cruise terminal and nearby shops.

Post cruise can you post info on Craft Village-its true location if you happen by it, or here details, or experience it?

-This is the beach we have narrowed down to inBarbados: (compiled from a CC review)

Accra/Rockley BeachAsk for Rockley Beach, not Accra Hotel.

one of the local bar set ups called Bar K'Naior more upscaleThe Spicemill(look up online)-

Info on Bar K'Nai: it was a good deal. 2 chairs = 20.00 BDS ($10US).

They had umbrellas available, too. I think 5.00 BDS.

Then you can "spend" that amount at the restaurant/bar with your receipt.

In other words free chairs

Right across the street and to the left in the middle of a shopping center is "Just Grillin" We had the best flying fish sandwich there.

----

Standing on the beach facing the water the Boardwalk is to your right

I am leaning towards this beach due to the vendors selling local crafts and different places to eat.

Go across from Accra and to your left is "Just Grillin". Had a great flying fish sandwich and drink for less than $10 US

Or try option of Hilton hotel day pass:

They got a day pass which included use of the the beach, pool, chairs, umbrellas, towels, shower facitlity, lunch and a drink for $35.00 pp. Taxi fare was $5.00 pp each way. 10 minute drive from the ship. Taxis available at the Hilton. They said lunch was delicious. Restaurant is on the beach. Had the signature Flying fried fish and a frozen mojito.............next time we'll go to the Hilton :>)!

We were on the same sailing as kenrod (hi ken!) and also on some of the same tours. Highly recommend Bumpiing Tours for Dominica (awesome), Cosol Tours for St. Lucia (double awesome) and Bernard Tours for St. Martin (again awesome). Those were our 3 favorite islands and tours. Oh yeah, and Air Force One with Papa Bear on St. Thomas. We were extremely well pleased with all of these (more than words can say!)..

Whatever you decide to do, I know you will enjoy it. We sure did!

Buffettfan 225:

WOW! And I thought I knew it all (well not really all! lol...), by reading so much on CC before I went on The Victory on 4/25. Thanks so much for your post on all the different topics. You mentioned several things I never knew about, like the free specialty coffees in the DR, whole pizzas, OJ after the label is removed, etc. Every little tip helps and thats what this forum is so good for.

Thanks Again!