Going to the Caribbean in the Winter

It took months to convince my friend to go on a cruise with us. One of her issues was why can't we go in the summer. She never heard of taking a vacation in the winter. I told her the idea is to get a break from the cold and snow. She just recently told her mother she was coming on a cruise with us now her mother, just like her, can't understand why we are going in the dead of winter (February). Do more people actually go in the summer than winter to a warmer climate? I live in New York and can't wait to get away from the cold so I can't see going from New York in the summer to the Caribbean to more warm weather.

I think having children does limit many folks to vacationing during certain times of the year, but barring that, I cannot imagine ever voluntarily vacationing during those times. And especially those of us in the Northeast, without children, are very likely to be looking for some relief from the cold mid-winter.

Lauren0309 -

Like you, my wife and I are from NY. We went on our first cruise to celebrate our 25th Anniversary last February. Foot of snow on the ground when we left - spent a week in the 70's and 80's - came back to many more inches piled on my car.

We would never do it any other way now (unless it becomes multiple cruises per year).

Jim

Ohio has its share of cold, snowy days in winter and cool, drizzly days in fall and early spring. A cruise escape to warm seas and gentle breezes suits us just fine. Have never tried a summer cruise, mainly because we prefer to save our precious vacation days until an escape to sun and surf is most needed.

Dianne

Now, I'm from California, so I never understood the importance of a winter vacation until I moved to Chicago. Now I can't imagine surviving without one!!

When I was a kid, we would vacation at the beach in the summers, and do the occasional ski trip in the winters. Now the last thing I want to do in the winter is freeze my butt off on some chair lift in Minnesota where it is minus 900 degrees. I mean, I know people in Chicago who actually GO TO A COLDER CLIMATE to go ICE FISHING in the winter. These people are seriously disturbed, IMHO.

I always get away to a warm climate at least once and usually twice in the winter. I haven't been to the Caribbean in the summer but as others have said, I would be seriously concerned about the heat and humidity. Now, Bermuda in the summer I would do. I understand Bermuda can sometimes get a little chilly in the winter as its latitude is a bit north of the Caribbean.

Jim M,

I can't imagine leaving ny in a foot of snow. Was your flight delayed? That is the only thing I am worried about even though we are flying in a day before our cruise. When we took another cruise 2 years ago Presidents Week when they had another major snowstorm we were stuck in Miami because all the airports in NY were closed for 2 days. That was nice though because we had an extended vacation in Florida away from the snow.

When I was a kid, maaaaannny moons ago, summertime was the traditional time for family vacations. We carried that on when we had kids of our own. But honestly, we've all heard of people taking skiing vacations. You can't do that in the summer! Winter is a great time to take a cruise just to get away from the cold so many of us have to endure. I'd say your friend and her mother just need their eyes opened a bit. I'll bet your friend will have a blast too and come away with a new understanding!

I would never vacation to the Caribbean in the summer. Our summers are too short, and there are too many other ways to spend a vacation during that time. I go during the winter months to get away from the cold. I can't imagine anyone thinking otherwise, or should say---I have never heard of anyone with the reasoning your friend suggested. But---to each his own.

I will say I went to Cancun with friends for 4 days this past June. I just had to pay airfare and food. But I don't think I would go in June again----too hot---very uncomfortable---and believe me---I am one who stays in the sun all day on a cruise.

lauren0309 -

You will love leaving the cold climate of NY for the Caribbean. We left last year during the really, really cold spell that shut down schools and business while it was 20 below 0 and snow on the ground. We were in St. Thomas and 80 degrees while my son's school was closed. The body enjoys the recharge of the warm weather. I don't think I would go if it were only in the summer. Too hot.

DW and I always cruise the first of January every year, due to snow and cold in Iowa. We did take a four day cruise in May, it was hot, humid and miserable. With all the cruise ships loaded and headed to the caribbean in the winter months, we are not alone vacationing in the winter.

msts

When we took our cruise this past March i was sooo ready to leave this freaking cold weather behind that i can't wait for all my winter vacations to spend them where is warm and toasty. I have never been on a sky trip because i don't find it fun to be freezing to death and falling over and over again. I am originally from PR so i do miss my warm weather once in a while.

Archived