Thomson Destiny

Hi

Can anyone advise on how strict the dress code is at the Gala Dinner? My hubby isnt a suit kind of guy but has smart tailored trousers and shirt and tie. Would this be suitable? We have ordered an evening wear suit from M&S but we could do without the expense.

Also any ideas on laundry prices? We are trying to keep luggage to a minimum so I think we will need to get a few things laundered.

We're really looking forward to setting off on the 14th for our 2 week cruise.

Thanks for the help!

G

I can't ever remember seeing anyone wear just a shirt and tie to a Gala night.

Have you looked at Matalan for mens evening suits.................think they are cheaper than hiring one from M&S ?

You could just get a dark suit (good price in ASDA about 30 pounds I think) and wear with white shirt and bow tie...thats what my partner did until he got an evening suit. The alternative is to eat in the self service restaurant.

Cheers for the replies everyone.

The Eveningwear suit should arrive today from M&S, it was £50 so wasnt too bad. Hopefully we will enjoy this cruise so much that he will use it again next year! :)

G

Cheers for the replies everyone.

The Eveningwear suit should arrive today from M&S, it was £50 so wasnt too bad. Hopefully we will enjoy this cruise so much that he will use it again next year! :)

G

OOH! I was in local M& S this morning looking at suits and missed them. They had some nice lightweight light coloured suits, beige and a sandy colour for £59.

They also had some lightweight chinos for £15 in both M&S and BHS. Handy if you're worried about weight limits with packing.

Berwyn

Never mind what the men are wearing. It is great fun for the girls to put on the posh frock. I am so looking forward to it. We sail in three weeks.

Hi Katie,

I'm sure you'll look gorgeous. It's just us lads are the props for you to pose against.

We have to look decent too. It's the fault of these Americans going on about their tuxedos.

For God's sake, tey're on holiday should be able to relax.

I'm taking my suit under sufferance on the Royal Caribbean cruise next month, but in December on the Escape an next year on the Destiny I will not.

I'm on holiday, I want to relax

Berwyn

Hi Katie,

I'm sure you'll look gorgeous. It's just us lads are the props for you to pose against.

We have to look decent too. It's the fault of these Americans going on about their tuxedos.

For God's sake, tey're on holiday should be able to relax.

I'm taking my suit under sufferance on the Royal Caribbean cruise next month, but in December on the Escape an next year on the Destiny I will not.

I'm on holiday, I want to relax

Berwyn

As a Yank, I wish to debate!:)

Azamara = casual attite. We booked before Celeb. decided to spin off a different line in Az. It was Carib. cruise and very few pax brought sportcoats.

Celebrity = Fixed dining. I do NOT own a suit (I do, but it shrunk) and never felt out of place in the dining room. Saw one guy in a Tshirt (I don't wear Tshirts to dinner, and half the guys on the Island wear flip-flops, everybody wears shorts).

HAL = On their CC thread I thought it was too formal, but I liked the itinerary and ship size, so I packed some dress shirts (2 are not yet out of the original package) and ties. We ate in the diningroom 2 times! Both with a CC group. Service was slow and impersonal. Other nights we ate at the buffet, drink man that knew us and our friends and would help us get together and bring our desired drinks without asking! This is what I expect on a cruise! Extra! (Why did HE get the big tip???)

My best two cruises have been on small ships with informal or resort casual dress codes.:cool:

As a Yank, I wish to debate!:)

Azamara = casual attite. We booked before Celeb. decided to spin off a different line in Az. It was Carib. cruise and very few pax brought sportcoats.

Celebrity = Fixed dining. I do NOT own a suit (I do, but it shrunk) and never felt out of place in the dining room. Saw one guy in a Tshirt (I don't wear Tshirts to dinner, and half the guys on the Island wear flip-flops, everybody wears shorts).

HAL = On their CC thread I thought it was too formal, but I liked the itinerary and ship size, so I packed some dress shirts (2 are not yet out of the original package) and ties. We ate in the diningroom 2 times! Both with a CC group. Service was slow and impersonal. Other nights we ate at the buffet, drink man that knew us and our friends and would help us get together and bring our desired drinks without asking! This is what I expect on a cruise! Extra! (Why did HE get the big tip???)

My best two cruises have been on small ships with informal or resort casual dress codes.:cool:

Hi,

I don't think we'll get much of a debate. I fully agree with you and it's a pleasure to meet someone from your side fof the pond who agrees with casual dress.

You should try the RCI board where those of us who mention we don't want to take a suit and happily eat in their bufet instead get shot down in flames.

Eating in the buffet on formal night to some of them on there is as big a "crime" as wandering into the Main Dining Room on formal night in flip flops and shorts :eek::D.

Berwyn

Archived