WHAT'S WRONG With The Statendam???

Buddy01

I have been going on this board for a couple months now and I find all sorts of questions and information regarding all the HAL ships except the Statendam. It's almost like this particular ship doesn't exist or not many people take her. We are booked on the Statendam for May 24th cruise tour in Alaska. We have signed up for an FF guaranteed cabin. Is there something wrong with this ship or is it just not popular? Has any been upgraded or upsold for this cruise yet? Thanks for any replies.

Buddy:o

I have been going on this board for a couple months now and I find all sorts of questions and information regarding all the HAL ships except the Statendam. It's almost like this particular ship doesn't exist or not many people take her. We are booked on the Statendam for May 24th cruise tour in Alaska. We have signed up for an FF guaranteed cabin. Is there something wrong with this ship or is it just not popular? Has any been upgraded or upsold for this cruise yet? Thanks for any replies.

Buddy:o

Till I went on her at Christmas. I found the ship beautiful and the crew extra friendly. I've been on five HAL ships and it has become my second favorite after the Volendam.

Enjoy and have fun.

Till I went on her at Christmas. I found the ship beautiful and the crew extra friendly. I've been on five HAL ships and it has become my second favorite after the Volendam.

Enjoy and have fun.

Thanks so much Pipedream for your reply. I was getting worried because there just isn't a lot said or discussed about the Statendam. I didn't know if this was good or bad. This is our first HAL cruise so we are not familiar with the different ships. You have helped relieved my mind.

Buddy

the Statendam is one of our favorite ships. She is small, elegant and beautiful. Her Captain, staff and crew are some of the best around.

If you look at our sig you will see how many times we have sailed her. Have a wonderful cruise.

the Statendam is one of our favorite ships. She is small, elegant and beautiful. Her Captain, staff and crew are some of the best around.

If you look at our sig you will see how many times we have sailed her. Have a wonderful cruise.

THanks Kakalina! You have been on some cruises! Wow:p THis will be our 2nd. The 1st was the W. Caribbean on Carnival Legend. It was really fun and got us hooked on cruising. Going to Alaska is our dream though! We are so excited it is all we can think or talk about! LOL

Buddy

We've been on the Statendam four times and I wish we were on it now. As others have said, it is a beautiful ship and the crew is super. I am sure you will enjoy her.

I would love to sail on the Statendam...I had hoped to book her next February for the "new" Caribbean itinerary offered, but alas, she has been booked to the Royal Mounted Police to be used as a floating hotel during the Olympics. Maybe in '11........:rolleyes:

I wouldn't hesitate if I were you!

The Statendam is a beautiful ship! I sailed on her in Alaska last summer, and loved every minute.

Make sure you go out on the bow for some pea soup while cruising Glacier Bay and for a special treat, book lunch in the Pinnacle Grill on Glacier Bay day and ask for a window seat. It's great to sail past the glaciers and watch whatever wildlife may be around from the comfort and warmth of the restaurant!

Have a great time.

We've been on the Statendam four times and I wish we were on it now. As others have said, it is a beautiful ship and the crew is super. I am sure you will enjoy her.

Thank you...we sure will do our best to enjoy the Statendam. I can't wait! Whoohoo!

Buddy

The Statendam is a beautiful ship! I sailed on her in Alaska last summer, and loved every minute.

Make sure you go out on the bow for some pea soup while cruising Glacier Bay and for a special treat, book lunch in the Pinnacle Grill on Glacier Bay day and ask for a window seat. It's great to sail past the glaciers and watch whatever wildlife may be around from the comfort and warmth of the restaurant!

Have a great time.

Now I am really really excited! We, my DH and myself LOVE a good pea soup! We will do as you suggest and thanks so much!

I would love to sail on the Statendam...I had hoped to book her next February for the "new" Caribbean itinerary offered, but alas, she has been booked to the Royal Mounted Police to be used as a floating hotel during the Olympics. Maybe in '11........:rolleyes:

I wouldn't hesitate if I were you!

Thank you Innlady! Too bad about the cruise next year. The Royal Mounties, huh?! I would love to see that!

I just left the Statendam in San Diego on Friday after sailing through the canal from Ft. Lauderdale. It is, indeed, a beautiful ship. I also agree with the other posters about how wonderful the staff and crew are, and I very much enjoyed the captain. We had an outside cabin on deck 4 that was very clean and comfortable. The food was great, the library was one of the best and biggest I've ever seen at sea, and the bars and lounges were always spotless. Small gripes include many out of order washer/dryers, erratic elevators (was trapped twice, once for 15 minutes), and not so good entertainment (but I know that's subjective). I have many pictures of the interior of the Statendam, and will gladly share them if you contact me. I will try to post some here on the boards.

I'm sure you'll love the Statendam like we did!

Here's another positive vote for the Statendam. My hubby and I spent 14 days on her last December on a Southern Caribbean cruise. She is beautiful, easy to navigate and the crew was very good. It was our first HAL cruise. We loved our room stewards (Budi & Darjano) and servers (Eka). If Firman is still there in the Lido, you will like him. He usually is singing a line from some song when he hands you your tray. (Oh, that's right, I read that HAL doesn't use trays anymore.)

You won't be disappointed in the Statendam or Alaska.

I just left the Statendam in San Diego on Friday after sailing through the canal from Ft. Lauderdale. It is, indeed, a beautiful ship. I also agree with the other posters about how wonderful the staff and crew are, and I very much enjoyed the captain. We had an outside cabin on deck 4 that was very clean and comfortable. The food was great, the library was one of the best and biggest I've ever seen at sea, and the bars and lounges were always spotless. Small gripes include many out of order washer/dryers, erratic elevators (was trapped twice, once for 15 minutes), and not so good entertainment (but I know that's subjective). I have many pictures of the interior of the Statendam, and will gladly share them if you contact me. I will try to post some here on the boards.

I'm sure you'll love the Statendam like we did!

I would love to see some pictures lopakarob! How do I contact you?

Buddy

We were on the Statendam southbound on an Alaskan cruise. It is an older ship but HAL takes good care of their older ships. It is great for this type of cruise. If you take excursions and do lots of walking, you will love that it is easy to manuver around the smaller ships. No long walks on board. I prefer the Amsterdam just because of the deco but like the Veendam and Statendam also.

Here's some more pictures and info on the Statendam

make sure you click on "Statendam in pictures"

http://www.beyondships.com/HAL-Statendam.html

I've never seen this site before. They have a lot of good pictures of the ships. The Statendam has a giant chessboard? How cool is that? We like ping pong and shuffleboard also! pipedreams, you just made my day!! Thank you, thank you!!

Buddy

I will give my take on the Beautiful and Elegant m.s. Statendam. I first sailed the inside passage on the Statendam in May, 1997. It was my second cruise on HAL. I then went to the places like Bonaire, Curacao, and a few other places on this ship in the Fall of 1997. Then in November of Y2K, I did the Mexican Rivera on the Statendam and finally I did Hawaii in November of 1995. Each and every one of these cruises was just a delight to be on. She came on line in late 1992 and is the oldest of the S Class ships. She is my favorate S Class Ship. You will probably have a wonderful cruise on her and if her regular captian is on you will probably wind up rolling your "r's"!

Rolling my r's? What nationality is the good captain? Thank you for your reply. I am very glad to hear that the Statendam is well loved. I think because of her age maybe I thought folks were going more for the newer, bigger ships. My DH and I like the idea of a smaller, more seasoned ship ourselves. Wish you all were going to be there with us! We'd have a gr-r-r-rand time of it!

Great pictures. This is the first look I've had at her since we've not sailed on her yet.

Thanks so much for the preview. She looks beautiful inside; very elegant!

Archived