Rum Runner Flasks

spotgrey

I bought the flasks and expected to use them to bring wine from Puerto Vallarta but it didn't work out. We had purchased two bottles of wine in Mazatalan and had it confiscated by RCCL personnel when returning to the ship. So I tried the flasks in Puerto Vallarta but "guess what" upon returning to the ship (before I got to the ship this was at the gate to pier) all packages were checked and my flasks of wine was confiscated. The X-Ray machine may not pick it up but the human eye and hand will. Needless to say I kissed that flask of wine good-by.

I bought the flasks and expected to use them to bring wine from Puerto Vallarta but it didn't work out. We had purchased two bottles of wine in Mazatalan and had it confiscated by RCCL personnel when returning to the ship. So I tried the flasks in Puerto Vallarta but "guess what" upon returning to the ship (before I got to the ship this was at the gate to pier) all packages were checked and my flasks of wine was confiscated. The X-Ray machine may not pick it up but the human eye and hand will. Needless to say I kissed that flask of wine good-by.

I knew it was a matter of time considering all the posts on this subject that I have seen in the past year. Everyone had seemed to forget by posting on a public message board that the "secret" would be out. The cruiselines reads these boards.

On our cruise to Alaska last summer, we had 7 people in our group. All of us had the rumrunner flasks in our checked in baggage. None of them were confiscated. We took gin,baileys,and crown. I would definetly use these again. We went through two airports.

I haven't used mine yet, but I plan to give them a try next week. We are sailing on RCCL and we are used to other lines that let you purchase bottles for your cabin. I have heard that it is best to put them in your checked luggage. I'm not sure.....I'll post when I get back and let everyone know if I made it or was sent to the naughty room.

We used them last November on Rhasody - we acked them inside shoes - toiletery bags etc none were discovered - give it a go!!

ENJOY

I haven't used mine yet, but I plan to give them a try next week. We are sailing on RCCL and we are used to other lines that let you purchase bottles for your cabin. I have heard that it is best to put them in your checked luggage. I'm not sure.....I'll post when I get back and let everyone know if I made it or was sent to the naughty room.

Where did you hear X-Ray machines won't pick them up? They most certainly do pick them up!

Traveled with a group of 10 each couple had the SPRING BREAK CRUISE KIT. Everyone distributed them throughout their suitcases. I had one of mine in that zipped lining of my suitcase. One in a pair of my husbands shoes, one inside a pant leg... be creative.

We all got on with them all. One of my friends suitcases was opened and searched but Rum Runner not found.. love it.. had a great time...

Enjoy yourselves..

To me it sounds like the OP had the rumrunners in carryon baggage - if so, I'm not at all surprised they were picked up.

There have been reports of RRs being spotted even in checked baggage which is also not surprising as the opaque shape is visible - it's been more a case of the lack of metal as being the issue.

The RR is still the best way to attempt to bring on booze in your checked baggage, but it is far from being foolproof or perfect.

Anyone who smuggles needs to be prepared to lose both the container and the booze.

To me it sounds like the OP had the rumrunners in carryon baggage - if so, I'm not at all surprised they were picked up.

There have been reports of RRs being spotted even in checked baggage which is also not surprising as the opaque shape is visible - it's been more a case of the lack of metal as being the issue.

The RR is still the best way to attempt to bring on booze in your checked baggage, but it is far from being foolproof or perfect.

Anyone who smuggles needs to be prepared to lose both the container and the booze.

I think OP actually tried to use them on port stops. RR's are recommended on checked luggage during embarkation.

However on my last eastern swing, I was able to bring in a 6-pack of Heineken during our Nassau stop and another 6-pack from St. Thomas. My Nephew (walking in behind me) was allowed a bottle of wine from St. Thomas. We were not trying to hide them, just carried them in grocery bags.

Our last port was St. Maarten and I was allowed to bring in 2 one-liter bottles of Grey Goose. Although that's just 2 days before we disembark and it was packed in bubble wrap. I guess they realized that I will not be consuming the Grey Goose aboard the ship but taking them home.

• 3 weeks later...
Tatay - I have to ask....co-ordinates are...Etobicoke?

(typing from 42 degrees 24' N, 82 degrees 12' W)

Hey , i live in Etobicoke, that`s what they used to call it before it became amalgamated with Toronto. It`s nowhere near the border though.

It`s a few hours away by car. It`s very lovely though, if it`s central Etobicoke where i am.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just returned April 23, 2011 from Carnival cruise. We used the rummer runners, placed them in 4 different bags and all made it to the room. No hassle! We purchased the kit online which contained 3 large one and 3 small ones. Filled them all and put them into Ziploc bags. We also brought the wine bag from inside a box of wine, put it into a back pack and carried it right on the ship. Easy!:)

Just returned April 23, 2011 from Carnival cruise. We used the rummer runners, placed them in 4 different bags and all made it to the room. No hassle! We purchased the kit online which contained 3 large one and 3 small ones. Filled them all and put them into Ziploc bags. We also brought the wine bag from inside a box of wine, put it into a back pack and carried it right on the ship. Easy!:)

Thanks for sharing... we use them all the time too. They are great!!

We did some 7 cruises on Princess from Jan 10 thru Jan 11 and have not had a problem using Rum Runners in check luggage. It's got to the point that we don't even give it a second thought with Princess. However, I have just done a lot of research on peoples success using them on Celebrity and there is the occasional report of them being pick up but far more reports of them being successfully used.

That's good news. Which ship and which embarkation port please? Donna

Archived