Port Canaveral..

emen822

Is Orlando the closest airport? I read on another forum that it is 60 miles away. We are flying from New York and are planning to fly in the day before we cruise. Just wanted to make sure I book the right airport. Thanks.

Is Orlando the closest airport?
Yes, Orlando International Aiport (Code, MCO, for McCoy Air Force base which closed in 1974) is the airport used by most fliers taking a cruise out of Port Canaveral. A few folks who can get attractive fares on airlines such as Pan Am use Orlando-Sanford (website, http://www.orlandosanfordairport.com/), but they are much in the minority. While MCO handles about 30.3 million passengers per year, Orlando-Sanford only handles about 1.25 million per year.

Melbourne is actually closer to Port Canaveral. It is a much smaller airport and a pleasurable break from the rat race of a major airport. We had about a 25 minute ride from Melbourne aiport to Port Canaveral.

Have a great trip!

While Melbourne International Airport (MLB) is the closest commerical airport to Port Canaveral, it is quite small serving only about 0.4 million passengers per year (http://www.mlbair.com/). Nearly all commercial flights from the North need to come through Atlanta. While MCO is certainly much larger, one of its key advantages is that it is served by regular "shuttle bus" type service to Port Canaveral and tickets to cruise lines can be purchased without advanced reservations. Although I don't have extensive knowledge throughout the cruise industry on this topic, this is the only place that I know where such a service exists--although I note that fares being charged have increased.

Archived