Prejudice against mexicans?

cocos

Its not prejudice against Mexicans I think because these same people would have done the same thing if the flu was say Chinese and there Chinese people on the plane. Its an overeaction. The lady who cuts my hair is Mexican and told me about a customer who refused to sit in her chair until she found out if Martha was just back from Mexico recently. :rolleyes:

Odd you used that analogy.

the Chinese government quaranteed one hundred plus Mexican nationals. That incident was repeatedly covered on the so called "news" channels.

The Mexican government chartered a plane to have their citizens released for the return home.

It is truly sad what fear can do to normally rational caring people!

Folks who don't have a bigotted bone in their bodies can all of a sudden turn into bigots when fear is added to the mix.

The media is in the hysteria business...and that is also sad! In the case of the "swine" flu...which has nothing to do with pigs.... why didn't the networks and newspapers report what people could do to protect themselves....what flu is....how it attacks people....why some people will die when they get it....point out that between 400,000 and 500,000 world wide die each year from one strain of flu or another? Why go back to the 1918 flu pandemic when medical science was still trying to find out the difference between a virus and a bacteria and too many people believed that washing and bathing were a threat to ones health? Virtually nothing reported by the media about this flu was at all helpful to the situation!

Now we have people afraid to take a vacation because of their nationality?

Yes...it is just sad! But so very human!

I have some mexican friends who will be on a cruise next month and they're worried they could be discriminated or people could refuse to be near them!

....and this IS cruise related :)

I'm not sure how you want everyone to be able to tell you whether there will be issues on a cruise that hasn't happened yet.

If they are that worried perhaps they may not want to cruise.

You don't know who you will be cruising with. And anyway how will people be able to tell that your friends are Mexican? They aren't going to wear labels on their clothes. Are they?

The media, 24 hours a day now of repeated news stories, did the whipping. The public, sometimes like lemmings, did allow itself to be whipped up. No question about that, but the power of broadcast media to move the public in a given direction on almost any issue is sometimes scary.

Excellent post. Agree entirely.

I live in Texas where more than half our population is Hispanic. How do you tell a Mexican from a Hispanic who is born and raised in the US, other than which side of the Rio Grande they're standing on when they board a plane or ship. They look the same and usually they both speak Spanish. Just have your friends tell people they moved to Texas a few months ago and their English is not good (unless they do speak English, then no problem). There are paranoid and ignorant people everywhere, you just have to do a work around. Just don't let the stupidity of a few ruin their vacation. They paid the same as every other non-Mexican on that ship and have the right to enjoy it.

I read some spaniard people in a flight Madrid-Barcelona refused to travel if a mexican family was also traveling at that flight. As the mexicans were healthy the crew insisted they couldn't prohibit them to stay at the plane. Then the spaniards went down the plane.

This made me think it's so unfair people are discriminated because of their nationality being as unfair as racial or religious discrimination (and you know there have been 942 infected in a country of 100'000,000 people, a very, very, very small sample).

I have some mexican friends who will be on a cruise next month and they're worried they could be discriminated or people could refuse to be near them!

Do you think they have reason to be concerned? Would you have some kind of prejudice against people from Mexico?

Nope.

I was born & raised in New Jersey ('50's -'60's) and have been dealing with this sort of "issue" for years.:D

Bon Voyage & Good Health! (Not to worry.)

Bob:)

I think your friends will be fine. People on HAL seem very tolerant to me UNLESS they SMOKE!

God forbid!

I can tolerate those folks embarking on a ship (or plane for that matter) that are unaware of various pathologies that are progressing upon their bodies whether it be intestinal or respiratory (e.g. Noro or 'Swine Flu').

Indeed, incubation periods can be dicey.

However, the mere thought of fellow cruisers SMOKING in designated areas or the LACK of cafeteria trays during the 'Lido' dinning experience just makes my blood boil!

Enough said. I need to gather my thoughts & have a libation.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

P.S. And Happy Mother's Day to everyone and especially to the those of that we indeed cherish.

Archived