Freedom of the Seas - Lobby for ports.

I'll take a SWAG as to the reasons the Freedom is too big for Key West. As far as I know the Enchantment is probably one of the longest vessels to call on Key West, I suspect there is limited room to turn the vessels around. Add to that the Freedom is a bit wider than the Enchanment and also has a deeper draft. The channel into KW is fairly narrow and does not "look" to be that deep. I say look just by the color of the water, really don't know what the depth is. When you add the additional lenght as well as the beam and draft, might be too much for the channel.

I too would like to know the reason. I like that stop!

Enchantment Freedom

L: 990 1112

W: 106 126

D: 25 28

OMG Aquahound! I guess TENDERING is out of the question???

Yes. As a matter of fact, it is out of the question. A ship of Freedom's size would have to remain outside of the main shipping channel. Considering this channel is 7 miles long and the fact Freedom would have to stay clear of the entrance, this would be at least an 8 mile tender. They would then have to contract local commercial vessels to accommodate the tendering since the round trip of 4370 passengers would take so long. The costs involved with making this happen just are not feasible.

What are the specific reasons why the Freedom is too big for Key West?

The Freedom Drafts too much. Even though it only drafts 1.3 ft more than Radiance, that is a huge difference in navigation terms when it comes to ports. Currently, Carnival Freedom is the deepest draft vessel that Key West can accommodate. She drafts 27 feet.

Also, the turning basin is not wide enough for a ship of that length. One of the channel markers in the turning basin has already been struck several times by turning ships, including once by the Enchantment.

OMG Aquahound! I guess TENDERING is out of the question???

We are already having to tender into GC, Labadee & Coco Cay. I AM FULLY AWARE that Acts of God happen and will accept whereever the LOS takes us. The OP was just getting CC'er input on suggestions. If YOURS was the sailing effected, you might be looking for options too.

Jacquelyn :D

Thank you Jacquelyn for pointing out that i was just looking for alternatives from other cc members. For those of you who just want to have a go at someone for daring to suggest an alternative port i would direct you to my post (no 6) where i stated that i understood the predicament and i would make the best of it come what may but it would be great if an alternative could be found if possible. Also regarding ports others have suggested, i never indicated that i knew anything about the logistics of the suggestions. However, one suggestion that has been put forward seems quite doable - Belize and i understand it could cater so maybe......

I also do understand the concept of cruising but i like to see different places. I didnt travel outside of Britain until i was almost 30. I have read about so many places and would love to travel the world. I really enjoy port stops even if it is only a taster of the place and cruising gives you a chance to do this. We chose this itinery because of the number of stops. However, i am not spoilt enough to realise how lucky we are to be going in the first place. Also, this cruise is a big deal to us as we promised this some years ago to my daughter who has been very ill as something to focus on and we have booked a dolphin swim in Cozumel for her. I am in total agreement with Jacquelyn when she says if it was YOUR cruise etc.

PS Jacquelyn- We had looked at your cruise as we were debating going from Miami (hubby fancied a visit to Miami Ink). Hope you have fun:)

Thank you Jacquelyn for pointing out that i was just looking for alternatives from other cc members.

kken67, I apologize if my first post came over as snotty. That is not the way it was intended. Tones are very hard to convey on these boards, and it does not help when third parties exaggerate it even more. I was simply pointing out how your examples were not possible. No harm intended.

kken67, I apologize if my first post came over as snotty. That is not the way it was intended. Tones are very hard to convey on these boards, and it does not help when third parties exaggerate it even more. I was simply pointing out how your examples were not possible. No harm intended.

Thank you, it just seems that sometimes people like to post to have a go at someone. I remember reading somewhere on the home pages of cruise critic for members to remember that no question is stupid. Sometimes people dont know something and look for advice from others without them being condescending in their replies. I totally understand it is difficult to convey tone though and some apparently harsh remarks are not so. Oh and by the way, I would love to visit Key West!! You are very lucky. Maybe one day on a smaller ship lol.

Karen

Thanks for the info Aquahound.

Probably a good time to be in the dredging business.

Funny you should mention that, because that raises another issue. All of the Florida Keys are a National Marine Sanctuary. The hoops that need to be jumped through in order to dredge are tremendous. It comes with a lot of protest and opposition.

Hi KKen, Thanks for coming back. Some of us probably did not realize you were not from the US. Everyone else but us would have the opportunity to take a cruise that includes Cuba. But, if their harbor is as shallow as a number of other Caribbean ports, the same old problem, only the smaller ships (at least in the RCI fleet) can dock.

Have a wonderful vacation.

Archived