Great grandma in port...

sashapoo

Hi guys...I am having a bit of concern. There is a group of us going on our next cruise in a couple of weeks and I am not sure how to handle shore excursions. I DO NOT want to book through the ship this time at all but I do not want to make reseverations for trips that may not work out. Great Grandma is a spunky old bird who I know wants to go and do things but she has back problems and can not from day to day tell what she will feel like. So I would hate to book something and then her not be able to go because of the pain and us have to cancel. What I am wondering and seriously considering is waiting until we get into port to try to get on any of the trips that we want to do. Do you all think that is too risky or will we have a good chance of getting on some of the excursions right from the dock?? Or should I call the tour operators that we are looking at going with and telling them the situation? I have always played it safe and went with the ones from the ship until I learned better from you all so I am coming to everyone again for more advice.

Thanks!

It's been my experience that there have always been plenty of tours available on the pier in each port. It may not be the exact tour you want, but one thing you have on your side is that the more active tours that sell out quickly will be the one's that you probably wouldn't do with GG - like snorkeling with the sting rays, etc.

I sent out a email to the group that is going last night to see what they wanted and I think the best bet isto book the things that we know we want to do...at least for those who know they are going and then if GGrandma feels like it then I am sure they can find room for her. I will hopefully know later today what everyone wants...

My mom (78 years young) and my godmother (88 years young and almost totally blind) just got back from a 10 day cruise on Princess. I tried to get mom to pick shore excursions with the cruiseship, thinking it would be easier for her and my godmother, but she wanted to wait until they got on the ship. The excursions were so high priced that she and my godmother waited until they were at the port and then "haggled" with taxi drivers for tours, etc.! That way, when they didn't feel good, they stayed on ship and when they felt peppy, they went out and did things! It was the best of both worlds for them. Besides, my mom got a kick out of meeting the locals and talking with them.

I keep forgetting that she has been around the world 4 times, raised 5 kids, and was mom and dad to us most of the time while daddy was serving overseas! She never fails to amaze me!

I keep forgetting that she has been around the world 4 times, raised 5 kids, and was mom and dad to us most of the time while daddy was serving overseas! She never fails to amaze me!

I am so happy that you are so blessed with such a wondeful Mom! I hope she sticks around to enjoy many more cruises!! :D

Archived