Passports???

The Canadian government requirements have not yet changed. From Canada's perspective all you need is proof of citizenship and government issued photo ID.

The problem here is the requirements of the US government to return. For that you will need a passport if you are flying or driving over the border. If you are on a cruise that leaves and returns to the same port, you are under the closed loop rules.

That being said, the Canadian government has discussed changing the law, but has not of yet.

To see specific US requirements for your return go to http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/

The Canadian government requirements have not yet changed. From Canada's perspective all you need is proof of citizenship and government issued photo ID.

Indeed, these new rules are a requirement of the United States government. Our rules in Canada have not changed significantly, but the Canadian government has little choice but to refuse entry to an USA citizen if they would not be re-admissible into the USA (due to lack of documentation).

You do have the option of a passport card, NEXUS card (which is frequent traveller program) and some states are issuing an Enhanced Drivers License. The EDL is only good for land and sea crossings but not if for some reason you had to fly back into the US.

You do have the option of a passport card, NEXUS card (which is frequent traveller program) and some states are issuing an Enhanced Drivers License. The EDL is only good for land and sea crossings but not if for some reason you had to fly back into the US.

I wouldn't touch one of those EDL with a 10 foot pole. Apparently the RFID chip can be read from that distance and that anyone with the right equipment can read them. See http://translate.google.ca/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Flcn.canoe.ca%2Flcn%2Finfos%2Fnational%2Farchives%2F2009%2F05%2F20090508-060508.html&sl=fr&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8 (sorry it's in French, this is a Google Translation of it.) Just imagine that the police can drive down the street and check your licence without you ever removing it from your pants. Scary!

I wouldn't touch one of those EDL with a 10 foot pole. Apparently the RFID chip can be read from that distance and that anyone with the right equipment can read them. See http://translate.google.ca/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Flcn.canoe.ca%2Flcn%2Finfos%2Fnational%2Farchives%2F2009%2F05%2F20090508-060508.html&sl=fr&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8 (sorry it's in French, this is a Google Translation of it.) Just imagine that the police can drive down the street and check your licence without you ever removing it from your pants. Scary!

Is this much worse than the police running a license plate check on their computer as they come up behind you. However the ariticle only refers only to the Quebec chip that lacks the encryption or scrambling. Are you suggesting that the chips in the new Canadian credit cards or or NEXUS cards can be read or altered by anyone? I know here in the west WA state is promoting their EDL very heavily including primetime TV ads.

New Nexus was read by USA Border guy through the window back into his wee shack while he walked around my car. If he can read it I'm sure anyone that wants to take the time to get the equipment will be able to also. They supplied a little packet (envelope) with thick material of some sort that is purported to block the signals while in your wallet. :)

BC is about to start the EDL soon also if not already.

Canada border positions without dedicated Nexus Lines still can not or will not take Nexus as ID.when you are North Bound in Canada.

I assume that the Quebec cards are to the US required standard. How much worse? Well, someone can read your driver's licence while you may be sitting at home in the front room of the house. While you are walking around and shopping. Anywhere. Reminds me of the movie Minority Report.

Frankly, I think these should be direct contact, not RFID. Quebec is looking into if these in fact violate not only Quebec but Canadian privacy laws. For the moment I know that I'm going to live with the inconvenience of using my passport.

The problem with the Nexus card is that if you bring goods you have to deposit your receipts on the way back. Two problems with that, one is that you don't know if they will or won't send you a bill, second is that you don't have the bills if you need a repair, exchange, etc. (Someone told me that he has never gotten his bills mailed back to him.... but maybe that's just him.)

I assume that the Quebec cards are to the US required standard. How much worse? Well, someone can read your driver's licence while you may be sitting at home in the front room of the house. While you are walking around and shopping. Anywhere. Reminds me of the movie Minority Report.

Frankly, I think these should be direct contact, not RFID. Quebec is looking into if these in fact violate not only Quebec but Canadian privacy laws. For the moment I know that I'm going to live with the inconvenience of using my passport.

The problem with the Nexus card is that if you bring goods you have to deposit your receipts on the way back. Two problems with that, one is that you don't know if they will or won't send you a bill, second is that you don't have the bills if you need a repair, exchange, etc. (Someone told me that he has never gotten his bills mailed back to him.... but maybe that's just him.)

This is not Fact. If you purchase items you show ALL of them on "Traveller Declaration Card" which is hooked up to your credit card. There is a box for one to place the TDC into before you reach Agent at the border. I have never given up our receipts. If you are chosen for a secondary you would have to match your TDC goods to the goods in your possession and receipts would be of use then but still not given up.

Good to know, thanks.

We used to go through the border regularly, but now that it's such a hassle, we have stopped. Even getting to the Nexus lane on the US side is cumbersome... many cars block entrance to the lane.

Archived