Club o2

cruiser05

My son was 14 & his sister 17 so they were in different age groups. At first, DS wanted to in the older age group cuz he thought he'd be stuck with a bunch of 12 year olds. I reminded him how he & his sister do not get along well and he should be glad that he isn't with her and he agreed to give it a try. He had a blast in the 12-14 group and met kids to hang out with. My DD hardly ever went to the 02 club cuz she said it was very lame. She hung out with us. Go figure.

My oldest son started with Club O2 on Legend in 2006 and in February finished his seventh Club O2 cruise on Glory. He turns 18 next month and on our last cruise he mentioned how he wasn't sure he'd want to sail after that because he would be aged out. (It's a completely academic discussion - he won't be sailing with us for some time since he starts college in July and his schedule will not match our vacation schedule.) There were some 18 YOs that he met on our last cruise; even if they couldn't be in the Club O2 area, they did hang out with a number of the Club O2 kids. There were some good volleyball and basketball games going on the sports deck.

I think it speaks well to the Club O2 program that our son was worried about what he would do once he turned 18 - he really enjoyed what Club O2 had to offer. If a particular activity didn't interest him, he could still hang out with the others and play cards, video games, listen to music, etc. We'd usually see him for meals and shore excursions, and that was about all.

One activity I saw listed on the Capers that nunuc2000 posted from the April Splendor cruise was the "Splendid Race." I saw this on several of our other cruises, usually listed as the "Amazing Race." The kids divide into teams and have to go around the ship getting their photos taken in different locations or convincing other passengers to pose for photos. When I've seen it, it seems to be pretty popular. On one of our cruises, one of the instructions was to get 10 passengers in the pool area to pose in a conga line. I was in the hot tub when one of the teams begged us to pose for them - so I did, along with others from the hot tub. You can imagine the look on son's face when he saw the photo of his mom in her bathing suit in a conga line.:p

From what I've seen and heard, there's a slightly better chance of having a younger one move up than having an older one move down. At 18, your son is considered an adult and thus not eligible for the Club O2 program.

Thinking of switching to Glory for holiday cruise.

I am confused now... if my 18DD cannot hang with 16DD- is there any organized activities for the 18-20 crowd? If so, does 16DD have the option to 'move up'?

18DD is taking her time growing up, and will probably fit in better with the younger crowd (she was home by 11pm on senior prom night!)

I guess I dont want her to feel "too old for this and too young for that" all week.

Archived