I just want to visit the dogs !!!

Franky80

I am going on an alaskan cruise next month and would love to visit a dog sled camp.

I am not interested in the actual dog ride but would love to just look around and visit the dogs. My partner is a wildlife artist and would love to take a few photos of the Huskies.

Does anyone know if this is actually possible or would we have to do the whole tour ?

Also any names of camps in any of the ports would be very helpful.

Thanks

I am going on an alaskan cruise next month and would love to visit a dog sled camp.

I am not interested in the actual dog ride but would love to just look around and visit the dogs. My partner is a wildlife artist and would love to take a few photos of the Huskies.

Does anyone know if this is actually possible or would we have to do the whole tour ?

Also any names of camps in any of the ports would be very helpful.

Thanks

We went to Alaska last year in May, and when we were in Skagway, we did a ship excursion to a Sled Dog Summer Camp (didn't really want to spend the $$ on a helicopter- we cared more about seeing the dogs too!).When we arrived, the dogs were all geared up to give us a short ride in a special wheeled cart along a dirt path. From what I understand, the mushers use this camp to keep the dogs in shape during the non-snow months. We then walked around their camp, saw where the dogs were kept, and had a brief talk from one of the mushers that did the Iditarod the year before. Then the best part....we were able to hold a new litter of pups (they were maybe 6-8 weeks old)!!! It was an awesome excursion, and we loved it!! I highly recommend it!! I don't know if it is something you can do outside of the cruise ship or not (we never looked into that). But I tell you, it is just amazing to see and hear how much these dogs absolutely love what they do!!!:D:D GOOD lUCK!!

P.S.- Sorry, I can't remember the name of the camp....

I did that one in Skagway too - but don't remember the name of the camp either.... I think it's perfect for what you're looking for. The dogs are gorgeous, well worth the trip.

t_=105210630t_=105210630t_=105210630t_=105210630

Archived