Royal Princess to Tahiti and Hawaii 2010-2011

Mercruiser

This is very good news. Princess will be sailing 21 FP cruises in the Sept 2010 to May 2011 season.

From http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na1020

Princess' 2010-11 worldwide cruise program includes:

Royal Princess to Tahiti and Hawaii -- Royal Princess will offer an extended seven-month season sailing among the islands of the South Pacific tropical paradise. The ship will sail on 13 cruises on a 10-day Tahiti & Polynesia itinerary featuring Princess' two-day experience in Bora Bora, an overnight stay in Tahiti (Papeete) and calls at Huahine, Rangiroa, Raiatea, and Moorea. The ship also sails on eight 12-day Hawaii & Tahiti voyages between Honolulu and Tahiti (Papeete), calling at Moorea, Raiatea, Bora Bora, Hilo, Maui (Lahaina), and Kauai (Nawiliwili). In addition, passengers can enjoy sailing the Pacific between Vancouver and Honolulu (or extend to Tahiti) on two 10-day journeys to Hilo, Kona, Maui (Lahaina), and Kauai (Nawiliwili). Royal Princess will sail in the region from September 14, 2010 to May 8, 2011.

Exotic cruises are available for booking on May 21, 2009

We did the Tahiti to Hawaii itinerary in 2006, it was fantastic. That's the one itinerary that DH says he wants to do again. I thought it was best sailing that direction because you don't have the long wait at PPT for the return flight--instead you have the shorter flight from HNL to the mainland. Interesting that they cut Christmas Island--that used to break up the sea days a bit, but it was always a very short port call and tendering in is difficult (our tender scraped bottom) and there is very little infrastructure on the island for tourists.

We did the Tahiti to Hawaii itinerary in 2006, it was fantastic. That's the one itinerary that DH says he wants to do again. I thought it was best sailing that direction because you don't have the long wait at PPT for the return flight--instead you have the shorter flight from HNL to the mainland. Interesting that they cut Christmas Island--that used to break up the sea days a bit, but it was always a very short port call and tendering in is difficult (our tender scraped bottom) and there is very little infrastructure on the island for tourists.

I looked at the flight schedules to/from Papeete. I see what you mean about the Papeete to LAX flights - they don't leave until around 10:00 p.m. And then you have a 8 hour red-eye flight to LAX followed by a connection to your home airport. I'll take your advice and look for a Papeete to Honolulu cruise. I'll also probably book Princess air. I can always cancel the air portion before final payment.

I also agree that a stop at Christmas Island would be nice, even if brief. The September 9, 2009 cruise includes this stop on Day 7 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. In general, I think the cruise lines are trimming port stops whenever possible to save fuel. Fewer/shorter port stops means they can cruise at a slower speed to make their next port.

Only THREE MORE DAYS untill bookings open!!

The Tahiti and Hawaii itineraries are still not on the Princess web site. But here is a summary of the cruise program. These are from a t

ravel agency web site.

PRINCESS CRUISES 2010-2011 TAHITI & FRENCH POLYNESIA & HAWAII PROGRAM

SHIP: ROYAL PRINCESS®

Sail Day Voyage Cruise Product Destination Ports of Call

Date Number Length Code (Ports of Embarkation and Disembarkation in CAPITAL LETTERS) 1

14-Sep-2010 Tue 1022 10 HTS Hawaiian Islands VANCOUVER, Hilo, Kona, Maui (Lahaina), Kauai (Nawiliwili), HONOLULU

14-Sep-2010 Tue 1022A 22 HHS Hawaii & Tahiti Grand Adventure VANCOUVER, Hilo, Kona, Maui (Lahaina), Kauai (Nawiliwili), Honolulu, Kauai (Nawiliwili), Maui (Lahaina), Hilo, Cross the

Equator, Bora Bora, Raiatea (Polynesia), Moorea, TAHITI (PAPEETE)

24-Sep-2010 Fri 1023 12 HHS Hawaii & Tahiti HONOLULU, Kauai (Nawiliwili), Maui (Lahaina), Hilo, Cross the Equator, Bora Bora, Raiatea (Polynesia), Moorea, TAHITI

(PAPEETE)

6-Oct-2010 Wed 1024 10 PCF Tahiti & Polynesia TAHITI (PAPEETE-OVERNIGHT), Huahine (Polynesia), Rangiroa (Polynesia), Raiatea (Polynesia), 2-day Bora Bora

Experience (includes two full days & overnight), Moorea, TAHITI (PAPEETE)

16-Oct-2010 Sat 1025 10 PCF Tahiti & Polynesia TAHITI (PAPEETE-OVERNIGHT), Huahine (Polynesia), Rangiroa (Polynesia), Raiatea (Polynesia), 2-day Bora Bora

26-Oct-2010 Tue 1026 10 PCF Tahiti & Polynesia TAHITI (PAPEETE-OVERNIGHT), Huahine (Polynesia), Rangiroa (Polynesia), Raiatea (Polynesia), 2-day Bora Bora

5-Nov-2010 Fri 1027 12 HHF Hawaii & Tahiti TAHITI (PAPEETE), Moorea, Raiatea (Polynesia), Bora Bora, Cross the Equator, Hilo, Kona, Maui (Lahaina), HONOLULU

17-Nov-2010 Wed 1028 12 HHF Hawaii & Tahiti HONOLULU, Kauai (Nawiliwili), Maui (Lahaina), Hilo, Cross the Equator, Bora Bora, Raiatea (Polynesia), Moorea, TAHITI

(PAPEETE)

29-Nov-2010 Mon 1029 10 PCF Tahiti & Polynesia TAHITI (PAPEETE-OVERNIGHT), Huahine (Polynesia), Rangiroa (Polynesia), Raiatea (Polynesia), 2-day Bora Bora

9-Dec-2010 Thu 1030 10 PCF Tahiti & Polynesia TAHITI (PAPEETE-OVERNIGHT), Huahine (Polynesia), Rangiroa (Polynesia), Raiatea (Polynesia), 2-day Bora Bora

19-Dec-2010 Sun 1031 10 PCH Tahiti & Polynesia TAHITI (PAPEETE-OVERNIGHT), Huahine (Polynesia), Rangiroa (Polynesia), Raiatea (Polynesia), 2-day Bora Bora

29-Dec-2010 Wed 1101 10 PCH Tahiti & Polynesia TAHITI (PAPEETE-OVERNIGHT), Huahine (Polynesia), Rangiroa (Polynesia), Raiatea (Polynesia), 2-day Bora Bora

8-Jan-2011 Sat 1102 10 PCW Tahiti & Polynesia TAHITI (PAPEETE-OVERNIGHT), Huahine (Polynesia), Rangiroa (Polynesia), Raiatea (Polynesia), 2-day Bora Bora

18-Jan-2011 Tue 1103 10 PCW Tahiti & Polynesia TAHITI (PAPEETE-OVERNIGHT), Huahine (Polynesia), Rangiroa (Polynesia), Raiatea (Polynesia), 2-day Bora Bora

28-Jan-2011 Fri 1104 12 HHW Hawaii & Tahiti TAHITI (PAPEETE), Moorea, Raiatea (Polynesia), Bora Bora, Cross the Equator, Hilo, Maui (Lahaina), Kauai (Nawiliwili),

HONOLULU

9-Feb-2011 Wed 1105 12 HHW Hawaii & Tahiti HONOLULU, Kauai (Nawiliwili), Maui (Lahaina), Hilo, Cross the Equator, Bora Bora, Raiatea (Polynesia), Moorea, TAHITI

(PAPEETE)

21-Feb-2011 Mon 1106 10 PCW Tahiti & Polynesia TAHITI (PAPEETE-OVERNIGHT), Huahine (Polynesia), Rangiroa (Polynesia), Raiatea (Polynesia), 2-day Bora Bora

3-Mar-2011 Thu 1107 10 PCW Tahiti & Polynesia TAHITI (PAPEETE-OVERNIGHT), Huahine (Polynesia), Rangiroa (Polynesia), Raiatea (Polynesia), 2-day Bora Bora

13-Mar-2011 Sun 1108 12 HHW Hawaii & Tahiti TAHITI (PAPEETE), Moorea, Raiatea (Polynesia), Bora Bora, Cross the Equator, Hilo, Maui (Lahaina), Kauai (Nawiliwili),

HONOLULU

25-Mar-2011 Fri 1109 12 HHW Hawaii & Tahiti HONOLULU, Kauai (Nawiliwili), Maui (Lahaina), Hilo, Cross the Equator, Bora Bora, Raiatea (Polynesia), Moorea, TAHITI (PAPEETE)

6-Apr-2011 Wed 1110 10 PCW Tahiti & Polynesia TAHITI (PAPEETE-OVERNIGHT), Huahine (Polynesia), Rangiroa (Polynesia), Raiatea (Polynesia), 2-day Bora Bora

16-Apr-2011 Sat 1111 10 PCW Tahiti & Polynesia TAHITI (PAPEETE-OVERNIGHT), Huahine (Polynesia), Rangiroa (Polynesia), Raiatea (Polynesia), 2-day Bora Bora

26-Apr-2011 Tue 1112 12 HHW Hawaii & Tahiti TAHITI (PAPEETE), Moorea, Raiatea (Polynesia), Bora Bora, Cross the Equator, Hilo, Maui (Lahaina), Kauai (Nawiliwili),

HONOLULU

26-Apr-2011 Tue 1112A 22 HHW Hawaii & Tahiti Grand Adventure TAHITI (PAPEETE), Moorea, Raiatea (Polynesia), Bora Bora, Cross the Equator, Hilo, Maui (Lahaina), Kauai (Nawiliwili),

Honolulu, Hilo, Kona, Maui (Lahaina), Kauai (Nawiliwili), VANCOUVER

8-May-2011 Sun 1113 10 HTS Hawaiian Islands HONOLULU, Hilo, Kona, Maui (Lahaina), Kauai (Nawiliwili), VANCOUVER

Yeah, the flight back from Tahiti is the least fun part. When we were there in 2006, the airport was open-air and not air conditioned, so it could be pretty muggy--and it was packed too when we flew in. I was glad we weren't flying back out of there, it didn't seem like it would be that fun of a place to wait for a flight.

I liked having the stop at Christmas Island, even though there wasn't much to do. When we got off the ship, there were people singing for us, and some vendors. I wish we'd taken one of the locals' around-the-island tours, it would have been neat to see more of the island and maybe learn about their history and culture. Instead, we walked to a local beach, which wasn't particularly nice (I heard there was a nicer one, but we had no idea where we were going, so we just followed another group from the ship).

I am going to keep my fingers crossed that these itineraries are popular and stay the same for a couple of years, because I'm hoping to do a Tahiti/Hawaii sailing in November 2012 for our 10th anniversary! Although, I'd settle for just Tahiti.

We did the Tahiti to Hawaii itinerary in 2006, it was fantastic. That's the one itinerary that DH says he wants to do again.

By chance, did you publish a review of the trip or have an on-line photo album?

Hmmm, I don't think I did a review...I know I did a Live From thread, but no idea if it's still extant. But here's our photos:

But feel free to ask questions, I'm happy to share details. I love talking about that trip, it really was amazing.

Edited to add: Found the Live From thread I did!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=355299&highlight=

Hmmm, I don't think I did a review...I know I did a Live From thread, but no idea if it's still extant. But here's our photos:

But feel free to ask questions, I'm happy to share details. I love talking about that trip, it really was amazing.

Edited to add: Found the Live From thread I did!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=355299&highlight=

Thanks for posting the links. I read your "Live From" thread last night. It was real fun to read. From your photos I see that you had an aft balcony cabin. I've asked my TA to book one too. The Princess press release says bookings open Thursday. But, the TA says they can book before that. We'll see.

Good luck getting that cabin! They can sell out quickly, so it's good that you're booking early. Hopefully you can get one not on Deck 8--the ones on Deck 8 are right below the buffet's outdoor seating area, so I've heard there can be some noise from above. We were on Deck 6, so below cabins, and directly above the dining room, but heard no noise from below us.

I had the good fortune of being able to book the ROYAL for B2B cruises sept 24 2010 and OCT 6......iT It took some time and I ended up in the customer Service Dept ...The two reprs found a way around the computer which said both cruises were wait listed...so they put me on the wait list then about 1 hour later ,converted it to a firm booking...and I got the aft cabin ...deck 7

what cruise are you taking?

ED...COOL CORDI

According to the press release, today is when the 2010/2011 Exotics schedule is available for booking. I didn't see anything yet on the Princess web site. So I called Princess direct and booked an aft balcony cabin on Royal Princess, Deck 7. Royal doesn't have any mini-suites. So these are the next best thing with their oversize balconies. There are only six of them, so I wanted to get one before they were all taken.

I included Princess air for now. I figure I can cancel it before final payment if I find a better deal elsewhere. Right now, the Princess air price is better than what I can find independently. A problem with a Pepeete-Honolulu itinerary is that the airfare is almost as expensive as buying two round-trips. In contrast, a round-trip out of Pepeete is much cheaper.

For the deposit, I used two cruise credits purchased on Sapphire Princess. The cruise credits cost a total of $200 which covers the deposit and is applied toward the total payment. In addition, I will get a total of $200 shipboard credit. Not a bad deal.

calikak, Thanks for sharing your trip report and photos from your 2006 cruise. It helped me decide to go ahead and make this reservation.

Here is a copy of the detailed itinerary, including tender port information.

542221594_Yg8ye-XL.png

If I'm reading the posted schedule correctly, you still can not do a B2B out of Hawaii to avoid the long flight to Tahiti:mad:

That appears to be the case. LAX to PPT is 8 hours and 20 minutes. LAX to HNL is 5 hours and 30 minutes.

Another option is to cruise from Honolulu to Papeete, then fly from PPT to HNL and stay a day or too to break up the trip. Hawaiian Air has once a week flights between PPT and HNL, 5 hours and 40 minutes.

Congrats to all of you who booked these sailings, you're going to have a wonderful time! I just got an e-mail from a cruise buddy who has also booked one of these sailings and I'm tremendously jealous!

Mercruiser, glad my Live From thread was helpful. That free Platinum internet sure is a nice perk--I never do a Live From thread on other cruise lines, since the internet is so expensive.

We booked the Princess air too, thinking we'd find a better deal later on, but we never did. One of the few times Princess had the best airfare.

We also just booked our Aft cabin yesterday for a sailing in Nov 2010.

I love aft balconys but was wondering if for this itinerary we should choose

a port or starboard cabin for the views.:confused: Can anyone offer an opinion?

I really liked our aft balcony. It was a great size (two loungers fit out there easily) and I felt like we had great views of everything. We always got the last look at whatever island we were leaving (nice at sunset especially). The balconies on the side are cut out of the hull so they are very sheltered and don't get as much sun. The aft balconies are half covered and half uncovered.

The downside to being aft was that we had a bit of vibration, and a wee bit of soot. But there wasn't that much soot compared to other aft cabins we've had on other ships (I'm looking at you, NCL Sun)--we'd just take a damp cloth and give the furniture a wipe before sitting on it in the morning. And the vibration wasn't enough to keep us awake or anything. It did make the door of our safe and our bathroom door rattle. We solved this problem by leaving the door of the safe unlocked at night, then it didn't rattle; and keeping a towel along the door jamb at night, which stopped it from rattling. It was also nice and quiet, even on deck 6 over the dining room. Interior of the cabin was the same as any other balcony cabin. Hope that's all helpful info!

:cool::cool:

I just booked Oct 6, 2010 deck 7 aft balcony!

Hi TIBTEE

We will be neighbors as We have booked the other cabin deck 7 aft as well as the Sep;t 24 cruise for a B2B....keep in touch....

ED

• 2 weeks later...
One of the itineraries has been posted, the Hawaii & Tahiti - Honolulu to Papeete 12 Days, April 26, 2011. The pricing has not been posted yet.

536879447_zXh5V-XL.png

This sailing is a candidate for us, but the flights from Europe are anything up to 30 hours including layovers:eek::eek:

Anybody got a rough estimation how much the Princess air costs for this sailing roundtrip from LA..?

thanks !

I have air from Princess added for $1392 ( tax included). I will check when prices are available to see if I can beat that. We will be going down a few days early so I will have to add $75 deviation fee to above. :rolleyes:

Tee

I also have an air add-on from Princess. round trip from Spokane, WA. It is priced at $1324 including taxes. This is for a Papeete to Honolulu cruise, so the air is more expensive that if I were flying RT to Papeete.

You would be flying from Europe? I wonder if you could get the best deal on an around-the-world airfare? On the other hand, if you just want to get to Tahiti and back to Europe, Air France is the only European airline that flies to Tahiti.

The best LAX - PPT round trip I've seen is about $800 on Tahiti Nui. I found this on their web site. It was for this Fall. I don't what will be available in 2011.

Thanks Tibtee and Mercruiser for your info.

I just got a Princess Air quote of $1163 from LAX p/p including taxes and airport transfers. Yes we would fly from Europe and we can get to anywhere in the US using 50 or 60,000 miles p/p, I was just looking for the cheapest gateway to continue the journey to Papeete as our FF alliances don't include Aur France and Air Nui Tahiti (except a codeshare with Air NZ which doesn't qualify for ff bookings:().

An alternative from Europe would be via Chile and Easter Island to get to Papeete with LAN Chile - but that would wipe out our FF mileage at 100'000 p/p and with just three scheduled flights a week I'm sure availability would be difficult to get - but a really fantastic journey though:)

Archived