Is Catalina a tender port or a docking port?

Drew B

Also, does anybody have recommendations for what to do there?

Thanks.

(Sorry. I know this should go on the Ports of Call board, but I don't believe there is a Catalina Island section...)

Also, does anybody have recommendations for what to do there?

Thanks.

(Sorry. I know this should go on the Ports of Call board, but I don't believe there is a Catalina Island section...)

It's a tender port. Last time we were there, we rented a golf cart and followed their tour map all the way up to the top of the ridge, it was fun. There are 2 rental guys, the tender pier is the 'green pier' walk to the main drag right there and turn right along the beach, about 2 blocks on the left is one of the golf cart rental guys. It's $40/hour (which is all you need) with a $40 refundable deposit, all in cash only, no credit cards. Check the latest Paradise pics in my signature for some pics.

Catalina has it's own tenders. There is one tender captain who will do a donut or two, conditions allowing, going back to the ship.

There is a trolley that is about $6pp. Either of the two routes will take you up to the Wrigley Gardens. The view from the Memorial is amazing.

It's a tender port, but they let people with early tours off first. It took us 2-hours to get off the ship because we didn't have a tour booked, so keep that in mind when you are trying to book shore excursions!

There is also Parasailing, Jet Skies, Glass bottom boat and other water sports. There was a jeep tour that took you back in the mountains to see the Buffalo, do not know if they still do that.

Any idea what there is to see in the glass-bottom boat?

I can't recommend getting a golf cart enough. Years ago we stayed two days there and rented a golf both days - it was great. The view from hills of the ship & harbor is beautiful.

We're not golfers so we had a blast in the cart. It's like a full size Disneyland Autotopia.

I went there on my honeymoon cruise (*gasp* almost 4 years ago already!) and it was a tender port. We really enjoyed snorkeling there. Catalina is a beautiful island and if you have to walk around and see the little shops, they are a lot of fun as well. We booked our snorkeling excursion with the ship, it was in some sort of wildlife preserve and the guide was able to find spiny fish for us to hold onto as well as a small shark (of some kind!), it was fantastic!

Archived