Internet/Computer/Cellular Modem Tech Question

LordSpain

As discussed many times on various threads, I'm another who is sometimes (well, most of the time) frustrated with the slow Internet speeds aboard HAL. My questions pertain to the use of a USB cellular modem on a laptop. I have experience with these as well as tethering a Smartphone as a modem and speed is quite adequate when at home. I’m guessing here that the on-board infrastructures that manage cellular connections and the ships satellite internet access are separate systems. If that’s true, I’m hoping those of you with experience can help me with these questions:

1. Are the cellular communications subject to the same satellite “bottleneck” in speeds that hamper the Internet, or do they use a different connection/antenna/satellite?

2. If not would a USB cellular modem or a tethered Smartphone provide faster speeds than their on-board Internet service? Anyone with experience using these aboard ship?

3. If using a cellular modem would the same SeaMobile cellular per minute charges apply even though I have an unlimited data plan w/my provider?

Since my provider (Verizon) can’t seem to answer my questions I’m hoping any of you phone/tech folks may be able to help me - Thanks!

In answer to #1, AFAIK the cell service does use the same sat link as other services aboard the ship. Others may be able to verify this.

As far as #2 and 3, on the Verizon website located at

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/rates_coverage.html

it states

Roaming Rate: $2.49 per minute

Text Messaging Rates:

$0.50/address sent

$0.05/message received

Voice and Text Messaging only

I believe that the last line indicates that no data service is available.

Rich

Wouldn't this only be cost effective if your resulting speed was 6x that of the ship's internet system? If you buy the $100 rate plan you pay about .40 per minute. If you use your cell phone, isn't it $2.50 a minute? I found I was able to access the ship wireless with both my notebook and my iPhone. By composing stuff offline and then pasting into the email, the slower speed was not bad. I think one of the secrets is to use it at off hours, like during dinner times. Try it when all are trying to check in on SWA the day before arrival and it is horrible.

Gary

Thanks Rich and Gary! Yeah that cost/benefit is certainly the crux of the question . . . at home of course there is no limit to the data usage on the usb modem - just the monthy fee.

Since I've never tried to use it out of the country I guess I wasn't sure if roaming charges applied to just cellular phone plans or if there were also "roaming" charges that apply to usb modems when using them out of the country.

On the Noordam last October, right before I left, I turned on "international voice/data" on my plan. (I have a work-issued Blackberry 8700. T-mobile is the domestic carrier).

I could not get a tether session to establish. While text messaging worked, as well as regular blackberry messaging, a tether-modem session just wouldn't engage.

Have anyone actually been able to do this? Tether or your phone and bypass the ship's internet charges and just rely on your cell-carrier's (and Seamobile's) charges?

Yes. It's the same satellite and the same company. If you notice when your cel doesn't have service (not including in port when you're cel is on whatever provider is ashore) the internet is down onboard too.

The only cel services supported are voice calls and basic text (regular blackberry is basic text) - you can't access the internet via your cel or any of the other fancy services you have (it's roaming and only a basic mode).

Lydia

If you notice when your cel doesn't have service (not including in port when you're cel is on whatever provider is ashore) the internet is down onboard too.
That's funny, I distinctly remember being on-line on HAL's system in port at St Thomas. And it is advertised as available 24/7, not "except while in port".

That's funny, I distinctly remember being on-line on HAL's system in port at St Thomas. And it is advertised as available 24/7, not "except while in port".

John - you are right. The internet service is available 24/7 on board the ships. I believe that what Alexat2 was trying to say was that while at sea if the internet is down, cell services will be as well due to the sat link being down.

Rich

John - you are right. The internet service is available 24/7 on board the ships. I believe that what Alexat2 was trying to say was that while at sea if the internet is down, cell services will be as well due to the sat link being down.

Rich

Thanks - I guess I read that backwards! :o

Archived