Constellation 9/10/05

lvcruiseguys

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Glen, you'll have a great time.

My partner and I did the Constellation Transatlantic this past Fall and met really great people. We spent a lot of time with people we met through the Rollcall board, and, in that group there were about 15 gay men out to 160! This was in addition to the Pied Piper group, and there were lots of others. Very comfortable for us as a couple. But we met a lot of other gay men and great straight couples onboard, and have kept in touch with quite a few. There was one organized FOD party, and then a whole host of more casual ones.

I don't know if any of the other gay couples from that cruise are doing it in '05, but many of our favorite people from '04 are signed up to cruise with you. We were just very upfront on the rollcall board that we were a couple, and ended up meeting 12 people in our area ahead of the cruise (mixed gay/straight). Once I used the word "partner" combined with "Ed" on the rollcall, a separate roll call started on the G/L board. And actually, most of the activity on our Roll Call was between April and September. (I know, it's hard not to get excited now- we're cruising again in May and can't wait! We talk about the cruise daily!) Have fun!

Andrew

I'll be travelling on this cruise. I just booked the other day.

I'll be sharing a cabin with my parents as my partner doesn't like to travel.

I really like the itinerary. THats whay drew me to this cruise.

I've never sailed on Celebrity though.

Brad

IronMuscle,

Gym is fairly large, but mostly deveoted to treadmills, elipticals, and aerobics area. There is a small freeweights area off to one side. The view form the treadmills over the bow is the best part! There is a steam room in the men's locker room, as well as an extra cost steam room, called Persian Gardens(coed)- check out other thread in G/L forum about "Celebrity Spa time." It talks about the steam facilities at length.

Gnome- grew up just across the river form you in West Springfield, but prefer the sunnier (usually) climate in California. You'll have a great time both with your parents and with everyone else.

Andrew

IronMuscle,

Gnome- grew up just across the river form you in West Springfield, but prefer the sunnier (usually) climate in California. You'll have a great time both with your parents and with everyone else.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Small world isn't it!!

Actually I have a condo in Florida...so it's just a matter of time before I move down to some warmer climate myself!!

I really can't stand winter!!

Brad

• 5 weeks later...

Free weight area on the Constellation is pretty small Fwd/Starboard. Basic benches and rack of weights. I've found it fine for basic training. Nothing too advanced however.

Mens locker room has a dry sauna with a large port hole over looking whatever you happen to be cruising by. Beware though. the window is not tinted or mirrored. So...if you're in port realize people outside can see you. It's quite funny I've seen my share of both naked men and women in port...The Persian Garden is worth the "cruise pass" for the steamrooms,other dry saunas,showers,turkish bath, etc...it's coed, but since there is a fee. It's usually pretty quiet and relaxing. I paid about $110 for 14 nights and that is for unlimited use. The aromatherapy steamroom is amazing...Also read you were interested in spending sometime in London prior to sailing. I suggest flying to Paris spending a couple days there the either taking the Eurostar to Central London and spending a couple of days there too. Happy Cruising Buddy.

• 1 month later...

My partner and I will be traveling with Pied Piper on the 9/10/05 crossing. We have booked all of our previous cruises with Pied Piper and have always enjoyed Derek's professional attention to details.

We have been kinda hooked on the Millennium, so we are really looking for a fun trip on this trip. Look forward to hearing from others we may have met on previous cruises.

Jim and Iain

San Francisco Area

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd move this thread back to the top.

Anyone else going on this cruise??

I've booked most of my shore tours for this trip. I left Amstedam open to maybe do some walking around on my own.

Brad

Brad,

Good hearing that others are starting to plan their shore excursions.

The only thing we have planned so far is Train Resevations from Le Havre to Paris.

Have any suggestions for Belgium? I noticed that it is about an hour to either Antwerp or Brussels.

Jim

I thought I'd move this thread back to the top.

Anyone else going on this cruise??

I've booked most of my shore tours for this trip. I left Amstedam open to maybe do some walking around on my own.

Brad

Brad,

Good hearing that others are starting to plan their shore excursions.

The only thing we have planned so far is Train Resevations from Le Havre to Paris.

Have any suggestions for Belgium? I noticed that it is about an hour to either Antwerp or Brussels.

Jim

Hi Jim,

There is a roll call in the Celebrity section on this board and someone from that group is arranging a private tour in Belgium. They might have room. The tour is called the triple threat tour. Ask on that thread. It's actually a very busy thread. Don't forget to sign up for the Cruise Critic welcome party. I believe there is about 120 people from here signed up for it.

We are doing the Versaille tour in France and the Sea Kayaking in Halifax and the Blarney Village tour in Ireland.

Are you going to London early?? We're getting there the morning of Sep 8 and staying at Rubens Hotel across from Buckingham Palace.

Brad

Hi Brad,

Great advise. Signed up for the Cruise Critics Party, I think there are now 140 people signed up.

Unfortunately we are not arriving until the morning of the 10th, we should be a real treat at dinner the first evening. My partner is Scotish and previously lived in London and Amsterdam. We normally fly to Glasgow once a year to visit family. Our norm is to recover from relatives by spending a week in Amsterdam just playing.

I will check out the CC group for Belgium tours. Have you done many of the CC parties? I have mostly just been a learcher here - enjoying the comments and banter.

I have made train reservations from La Havre to Paris. We are going to just spend the day playing in the city. I suspect we will probably hang out in the Saint-Germain area - little shopping, little eating and a little wine sipping.

Ireland should be interesting. We lived in Dublin for 3 years and never made it down to Cork. I'll have to take a look and see what tours are on offer.

Are you traveling with Pied Piper?

Thanks for the information.

Jim

Hi Brad,

Great advise. Signed up for the Cruise Critics Party, I think there are now 140 people signed up.

Unfortunately we are not arriving until the morning of the 10th, we should be a real treat at dinner the first evening. My partner is Scotish and previously lived in London and Amsterdam. We normally fly to Glasgow once a year to visit family. Our norm is to recover from relatives by spending a week in Amsterdam just playing.

I will check out the CC group for Belgium tours. Have you done many of the CC parties? I have mostly just been a learcher here - enjoying the comments and banter.

I have made train reservations from La Havre to Paris. We are going to just spend the day playing in the city. I suspect we will probably hang out in the Saint-Germain area - little shopping, little eating and a little wine sipping.

Ireland should be interesting. We lived in Dublin for 3 years and never made it down to Cork. I'll have to take a look and see what tours are on offer.

Are you traveling with Pied Piper?

Thanks for the information.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes we're all travelling with the Pied Piper group. My partner isn't travelling with me as he didn't like the itinerary so I'm sharing a cabin with my parents and 3 other straight coules are going. So I'm the only gay person in the group!

I just got off the Queen Mary 2 with a Pied Piper group and it was nice to finally meet Derek (and his mother who is the loveliest woman!!) It should be an excellent cruise. I'm really toying with the idea of booking this cruise again next year with Pied, It's a little longer and has a few different ports, including Scotland.

The tours that we're doing (except Belgium) are all booked through the cruise line. I was originally going to do private tours and the price is about the same as the cruiseline. The cruiseline tours also give you a little protection in that if your tour is late, etc...You can get compensated by the cruiseline.

You should have fun in Paris. I really wanted to see Versaille so I'm skipping Paris...perhaps another trip.

Brad

Brad,

Good hearing from ya.

We have saild with Derrick on 4 cruises. He has also gotten us some very good rates on a number on non-gay cruises. Derrick has been a gem in taking care of our needs. My partner can be a little picky about the cabin he wants and Derick has ultimately always been able to deliver.

I will have to give him a ping and find out how many are signed up for the Pied-Piper Group. I met a guy on last years post-Thanksgiving cruise that had also signed up for the Transatlantic. He was from New Jersey and traveling alone. I lost his e-mail address so have not been able to check out his plans.

We have been rather disappointed on most of the commercial tours we have taken. We usually just take off on our own and explore. It is always fun to just explore. There is uaually a major river in most european cities. It is often helpful to take a canal or river tour of a city and you quickly get a fell on how the city is laid out. We then like to find a nice sidewalk cafe and have an cappuccino while people watching. A walk around or a quick subway jaunt and we usually find an interesting museum or site we have never seen before.

Amsterdam is a great city to visit. If you are still planning a day exploring it is probably the best city for day tripping. There is a connection from the port to Central Station. We usually pick up a Day Ticket for the Trams and Busses. When you have a day pass you usually use the trams more extensively as you don't have to worry about tickets for the whole day. The city is small enough that you can walk the whole city on foot but Tams take you virtually any place you would want to go. They also have water taxi system with a day pass. Being a Sunday - shopping will not be fully open but there is plenty to do. Recommendations would be a canal trip (many available on the spot with no reservatons required), a visit to the Ann Franke House with a stop off at the Homo Monument accross the street. If you are with a number of straights it is alway fun to walk them down Canal Street where the prostitutes sit in the windows (much more colorful after dark). A stroll down (or a tram) Leitsaplaan (lots of shops and restraunts in the area). If museams are your thing check out this link http://www.amsterdammuseums.nl/eng/museums/index.htm

Jim

I'm scheduled for the Sept.10 sailing aboard the Constellation. Not with Pied Piper, and have a cabin to myself. Would like to meet other gay people, and would appreciate hearing about happenings aboard. Dennis aka Einsam

Welcome aboard Dennis.

I am not sure yet how many are in the Pied Piper Gay Group but hopefully we will have a good size group. When I get an update I will post it here so you can get an idea of how many PLU's (People Like Us) will be onboard. The group usually eat at the late seating and on most cruises we have been on with Pied Piper they meet in the Platinum lounge before dinner. The major advantage of traveling with a group is that you are seated with the group and they often plan exclusive events just for the group.

My partner's and my favorite retreat is Michael's, a rather small piano bar.

If you have started planning any shore excursions feel free to share so others can get some ideas. We are very familiar with Amsterdam and Paris but have had little experience in Belgium and Nova Scotia. If you need any suggestions just ask.

Jim

I heard from Derek of Pied Piper last evening and it looks like there are at least 65 in our group at this time. Sounds like a nice size group. We really enjoy cruises where there is enough a large enough group to be fun but fewer than an exclusive all gay cruise.

:)

I heard from Derek of Pied Piper last evening and it looks like there are at least 65 in our group at this time. Sounds like a nice size group. We really enjoy cruises where there is enough a large enough group to be fun but fewer than an exclusive all gay cruise.

:)

Thats really one of the things I like about Pied Piper is that they are not all gay. This should be a nice mix of people though.

Brad

Brad,

Good hearing from you. I heard from Derek this weekend, he will be sailing alone on the TA crossing.

It is amazing how quickly the cruise is coming on. It seemed so far away when we first booked. I booked our dog for his boarding while we will be away. I still have to book transport from LHR to Dover and from Port Liberty to JFK.

Jim

Welcome aboard Mel and Paul.

PP usually has a pretty good program for their cruisers. They usually have a reception desk set up on board the ship to pick up a packet of special events. They usually have a PP hosted party. Most of the group dine together at Late dining with dedicated tables. They often have special events like the gay Olympics and the Newly wed and not so newly wed game. The group usually meets in the platinum martini bar prior to dinner for social hour and use to meet in the night club after midnight. Derek has set up a chat group on Yahoo which you should have received an invite today.

You will love the cruise and will be hooked on cruising ever after.

Jim

Archived