thomson destiny marina di carrera

hi jimb and sc1234,have u much info on marina di carrera wondering if it would be easy to get to pisa or florence on our own. we are also staying for a week after the cruise in majorca at palma nova .son matias beachhotel

I will have been on the ship for a week before you all arrive. For all the 1st time cruisers. 96% of people take another cruise. You will love it. My 1st time I went under protest. It was my wife who wanted to go and I went to stop her nagging. It was the best holiday I ever had and I am now hooked. I have been with many cruiselines now but Thomson are for me the best.

Looking forward to seeing you on the ship.

Billy.

This sounds more like a review than a forum post, but I hope it helps. This was last year and the details may have changed, so please don't rely on the info but use it as a guide.

Visited Marina Di Cararra last year on the Destiny, wasn't looking forward to it as Pisa was over 1 hour by train away, but were pleasantly surprised. It is a little town and is lovely.

The townsfolk were extremely welcoming and friendly. The town laid on a trolley train from the port which drove you round the town, stopped near the beach and then stopped in the market sqaure and then back to the port free of charge. Our kids 4 and 6 liked the train so much that we went round 3 times. The train finished at 2pm, so don't get caught at the beach as it's a hike back.

We arrived on the Sunday so EVERY shop was shut. The market was just like any other "normal" market selling bags, shoes, clothes etc but at the far end were the "craft" stalls, only a few but fantastic and extremely good value. Marina Di Cararra is famous for it's marble and we bought all our souvenirs for family and friends, far, far cheaper than anywhere else we visited on our 14 day trip. They were used to selling to the locals and the prices weren't hiked when the ships docked, which was a nice change.

To get to the main square walk to the end of the port gates and turn left, walk for approx 200 yards and turn up the street on the right walk another 100 yards and turn left which will take you to the market area. Turn right and walk 100 yards and you will see the main square with a fountain and impressive church behind it. There is nothing much beyond the church / market square in the way of shops / bars / cafes etc, so best to stay in that particular area.

If you need any other info let me know and I'll dig out the notes.:)

116.jpg.b653a7af3a16e219a82585cd168b8ac6.jpg

110.jpg.fced56e5336a4a55abe37992edc45740.jpg

117.jpg.b8b8a1436a939a3a2b43b972ca9510a5.jpg

115.jpg.78e96b75e2c53781f68a9a139fc469a3.jpg

Groundman,

I think this is the stop where we will probably take the excursion and see both Florence & Pisa. At the remainder of stops we will make our own way or perhaps share with some like-minded people.

We are staying in Alcudia for a week after the cruise.

Jim

hi jimb and sc1234,have u much info on marina di carrera wondering if it would be easy to get to pisa or florence on our own. we are also staying for a week after the cruise in majorca at palma nova .son matias beachhotel

Hi there

I stayed at Son Matias in December 2008.It is a lovely hotel and all rooms overlook the wonderful beach with the clearest of blue water (even in December).I would love to go back.

The food was perfect- and I am quite fussy!There is a lot of good British type food with lots of choice.The puddings are to die for.

There was a kettle, mugs and tea/coffee in the room to make yourself drinks and the sachets replenished every day.We loved sitting on the balcony with a cuppa.

The entertainment was very varied and we enjoyed most of it - one night we didn't like the Welsh female singer so we wandered 50 yds along the road into the Santa Lucia Hotel and saw a superb ballet show in their Show Lounge.

The only bugbear was having to pay extra for safe, fridge and remote control.We paid for all three but hardly used the fridge!

I am sure you will not be disappointed with this hotel.

Flopsy

I reckon it's a big task to do both independently as the distances are pretty big. I would think doing one on your own would be ok but not both. However I'm sure some intrepid traveller will say it can be done.

Archived