Dive Shop in Isla Roatan, Honduras?

Specter

Are you going to Roatan on a cruise or staying at a resort? If you are staying at a resort in January I would advise you that it is rainy season and I would make sure whoever you dive with is willing to take you to the other side of the island if it is raining (diving conditions on Roatan can vary greatly when it rains- one side will be amazing, while the other will be horrible. Several operators will move boats or bus you to a boat on the other side if this happens, and I believe both CoCoView and Anthony's Key will, but I would check in advance!)

No, not staying at the resort in January...but going on a cruise. Have heard nothing but good things about Anthony's Key but I have a friend who is persistent with pushing CoCoView for my next visit to Honduras.

I am familiar with the weather in Central America...lived in Panama for 3 years and have spent time in Honduras earlier this year (March), so I would definitely look to book a resort stay at a different time. :) Thanks for the input!

Each resort on Roatan seems to have it's fan base- CoCoView probably has the most loyal and vocal fans, but each resort has it's pluses and minuses. If you want to do an all inclusive dive vacation on Roatan I would check the 4 main resorts- Anthony's Key, Bay Islands Beach Resort, CoCoView and Fantasy Island. Sometimes there are some good deals to be had. Also, the type of experience you want may sway you- if you want to dive, eat and sleep and nothing else CoCoView is where you want to go. If you are traveling with non-divers I'd say stay away from CoCoView and look at one of the other resorts (or even go independent. It's pretty easy to rent a place in West End or West Bay and pick a nearby dive shop- and you don't really need to rent a car or anything).

• 2 weeks later...

Realize that if you are coming in on the Legend it lands at 0630 or 0730 local time. The ship says on east coast time which differs by 1 or 2 hours depending on daylight savings time.

I dive with coconut tree and like their operation. Normally they have one boat on the ocean side and one on the land side. I'm not sure if they will send a shuttle. Probably if there is a group of 4 or more. If not, there are hoards of vans/taxis just outside the gate which will negotiate with you. Maybe $15-20 each way.

We'll be on the Crown Princess in early December & would like to dive on Roatan. Does anyone know what dive operation Princess contracts with? Sounds like Anthony's Key is a great choice but might only be available thru ship tour.

For those who have been on Carnival's dives with AK, how big were your dive groups?

Thanks for any info.

--Ellen

We'll be on the Crown Princess in early December & would like to dive on Roatan. Does anyone know what dive operation Princess contracts with? Sounds like Anthony's Key is a great choice but might only be available thru ship tour.

For those who have been on Carnival's dives with AK, how big were your dive groups?

Thanks for any info.

--Ellen

Yes Princess dives with AKR. its the only operation I have seen on the island with really big boats to handle the volume of divers off the ships. When I dove using the princess excursion, there were 48 divers, split into two groups of 24, using their 42 ft boats, with 3 divemasters per boat.

THE REAL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CCV AND AKR==SHORE DIVING

I am one of those Coco View coco-nuts, I never considered AKR because there is no shore diving there, but have been to CCV and 1 other place 7 times. We did it once on a cruise, made arrangements in advance-they picked us up at the dock, etc. The huge advantage of CCV over AKR is that one can shore dive whenever right out front at Loco View, or take a boat dive and then get dropped off out front and make your way back to the beach--Nice. There's a nice small freighter wreck out front and I guess the Garden Eels are still there..........I have been a day visitor to AKR many times and the place is nice, just NO shore diving.

Archived