Mexican Riviera Cruise -- Which ship?

Greetings Folks --

I am planning to go on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera in June 2010. The choice is very simple: Carnival Splendor or RCCL Mariner of the Seas.

Has anyone here been on both these cruises, and can you please provide some comparison for me?

If it matters, my DW and I are early 60's, and our two travelmates, our daughters are early 30's.

Thanks very much for your perspectives!!

Yes, I'm posting this inquiry on both boards.

AG

Greetings Folks --

I am planning to go on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera in June 2010. The choice is very simple: Carnival Splendor or RCCL Mariner of the Seas.

Has anyone here been on both these cruises, and can you please provide some comparison for me?

If it matters, my DW and I are early 60's, and our two travelmates, our daughters are early 30's.

AG

I think both have been diverted to other places because of the flu chek with the cruise line for return to these sailings

Since you are on the RCI board you will get positive remarks about the Mariner. If you posted the same question over on the Carnival board, your answer will be the opposite.

We considered Carnival Splendor because we could save a couple hundred $$, but only for a few minutes. The money savings isn't worth it to us.

Greetings Folks --

AG

I haven't been on the Splendor but I just sailed on the Mariner. The one thing I found disappointing in the Windjammer was they didn't have a deli station where you can get a sandwich made, as they do on the Splendor. I really missed my daily Reubens!

And the Splendor has a sushi stand nightly with all sorts of delicious items. The Mariner does have sushi in the Windjammer at night but I think the sushi on Carnival is better.

The Splendor has also just added a burrito station where they will make yours to order. Here are the yummy items you can pick from:

Shrimp

Chicken

Beef Steak

Roasted Corn

Cilantro Lime Rice

Black Beans

Charred Green Peppers

Sautéed Onion

Iceberg Lettuce

Monterey Jack Cheese

House Guacamole

Pica De Gallo

Sour Cream

Salsas

Tomatillo Red Chili (Hot)

Green Tomatillo (Medium)

Fresh Tomato Salsa (Mild)

Check out the itineraries on both. I believe that the Splendor has their 2 sea days at the beginning and the Mariner has theirs at the end.

The Mariner has ice skating and rock climbing but if those 2 things aren't important to you, I would go with the one who has the best price.

I haven't been on the Splendor but I just sailed on the Mariner. The one thing I found disappointing in the Windjammer was they didn't have a deli station where you can get a sandwich made' date=' as they do on the Splendor. I really missed my daily Reubens! [/color']

I'm left scratching my head over this post. Were you or were you not on the Splendor?

To the Op, I have sailed several Voyager Class ships and have been on a sister ship to Splendor (Carnival Liberty). They are both very nice cruises on very nice ships. I have to give the nudge to Mariner though. All things considered, Carnival just doesn't have any ships that can compare to Voyager Class. Mariner is just so much nicer and better appointed.

As for the ice rink on Mariner, people always say they aren't in to ice skating, but don't let this deter you. The ice shows are phenomenal. Also, the venue is used for hilarious other events, like Quest.

I'm left scratching my head over this post. Were you or were you not on the Splendor?

The ice shows are phenomenal. Also, the venue is used for hilarious other events, like Quest.

I have NOT sailed on the Splendor but I have sailed on the Pride and Sprit and they have the sushi bar and deli station. The Splendor has added the new Burrito Bar and friends who have sailed on the Splendor have said it's a great ship.

And I have to agree that the ice show and Quest give the Mariner a nudge up in the entertainment department. :D

I have NOT sailed on the Splendor but I have sailed on the Pride and Sprit and they have the sushi bar and deli station. The Splendor has added the new Burrito Bar and friends who have sailed on the Splendor have said it's a great ship.

And I have to agree that the ice show and Quest give the Mariner a nudge up in the entertainment department. :D

I hate sounding ignorant, but I am!! What is Quest??

Thanks,

AG

Given the ages that you provided, I think the Mariner would be your best choice, we have sailed with Carnival several times and although it was quite enjoyable, it lacked elegance. Very much a "younger" crowd. Although RCCL has a tendancy to draw families, it certainly provides better "adult" entertainment such as comedians and ice shows, whereas with Carnival you will find a lot of the entertainment out at the pool, with pool games sports etc. RCCL like Princess, hold up a certain standard of elegance and service that we just did not find with Carnival. Carnival is a great line though, and if it really comes down to saving a little money, I would always recomend them!

The OP has sailed RCL 4 times and Carnival once as well as others, so I would think the OP would have a good understanding what Royal would provide in comparison to Carnival. What the OP needs to understand is there isn't enough time yet since the Carnival Splendor came over and the Mariner came over this year for the majority of people to have taken both ships before to the Mexican Riviera. Also you need to look at time spent in ports. Carnival spends alot less time in Cabo than the Mariner, but the Mariner costs alot more. We are going on our first cruise on Royal, but so far have been pleased with Carnival and Princess but not NCL. I also think you have to provide more info if your group is most interested in the ships activities or the time spent in ports. If you are just comparing ships itself, the Mariner has much more data than the Splendor does since the Splendor is Carnival's newest ship. If new is more important to you as well as lower costs, then the choice is easy, Carnival. If your cruise was on an older Carnival ship, there is no comparison to the newer ships of Carnival. It would be like comparing a cruise on RCI's Majesty compared to the Mariner or Liberty of the Seas. We did enjoy Cabo but on Princess we had to be back on ship at 1:30 and all of these ships, HAL's, Carnival, Royal, and Princess all go to PV, Cabo, and Mazatlan so compare the ships and the times in port and watch for the reviews when Mexico cruises start flowing again. I highly doubt you could go wrong with either of them since I know Carnival and I see people happy with the Mariner.

The OP has sailed RCL 4 times and Carnival once as well as others, so I would think the OP would have a good understanding what Royal would provide in comparison to Carnival. What the OP needs to understand is there isn't enough time yet since the Carnival Splendor came over and the Mariner came over this year for the majority of people to have taken both ships before to the Mexican Riviera. Also you need to look at time spent in ports. Carnival spends alot less time in Cabo than the Mariner, but the Mariner costs alot more. We are going on our first cruise on Royal, but so far have been pleased with Carnival and Princess but not NCL. I also think you have to provide more info if your group is most interested in the ships activities or the time spent in ports. If you are just comparing ships itself, the Mariner has much more data than the Splendor does since the Splendor is Carnival's newest ship. If new is more important to you as well as lower costs, then the choice is easy, Carnival. If your cruise was on an older Carnival ship, there is no comparison to the newer ships of Carnival. It would be like comparing a cruise on RCI's Majesty compared to the Mariner or Liberty of the Seas. We did enjoy Cabo but on Princess we had to be back on ship at 1:30 and all of these ships, HAL's, Carnival, Royal, and Princess all go to PV, Cabo, and Mazatlan so compare the ships and the times in port and watch for the reviews when Mexico cruises start flowing again. I highly doubt you could go wrong with either of them since I know Carnival and I see people happy with the Mariner.

You're correct that I've already been on both lines. However, it has been 20 years since our only Carnival cruise, and that was on the old Carnivale!!! I'm sure things have changed a lot!!! Our RCCL experiences have been on their smaller ships, such as Empress, Sovereign, and Monarch. So, we haven't been on the larger, more contemporary ships of either line.

Price really isn't the biggest issue here. The lines are competitive on price this far out from the sailing, at least for this particular cruise.

Thanks again!

AG

AG Quest is a game where teams have to gather certain items upon request. This is about as far as I can go. Like a scavenger Hunt. It is for Adults and done later.

Like a scavenger hunt that takes place right there in the audience. It really, really is hilarious - an absolute don't miss event.

You're correct that I've already been on both lines. However, it has been 20 years since our only Carnival cruise, and that was on the old Carnivale!!! I'm sure things have changed a lot!!! Our RCCL experiences have been on their smaller ships, such as Empress, Sovereign, and Monarch. So, we haven't been on the larger, more contemporary ships of either line.

Price really isn't the biggest issue here. The lines are competitive on price this far out from the sailing, at least for this particular cruise.

Thanks again!

AG

If price is not an issue, I would take the Mariner since it stays at the ports a good amount of time. However, if having access to being able to eat at any time during the 24 hours, then it would be Carnival as Mariner shuts down the buffet around 9ish and is generally closed in the afternoons when one returns from port. Carnival offers outside by the pool eating choices also and the Mariner does not. We loved Princess and Carnival to be opened 24 hours to get a snack and refreshments after returning from port at any time. Sometimes we would get another wind, and go back out. I don't know how we are going to handle this issue on the Adventure of the Seas not being opened except for the Cafe Promenade, hopefully they will have cold drinks also.

Thanks much to the posters who took the time to answer my inquiry. We are leaning to the Mariner of the Seas, mostly because I think we will be a better match for the age demographics. The Mariner has two specialty restaurants, vs. one for the Splendor. This was also a decision factor.

Thanks again!!

Happy sails --

AG

Archived