Excursion policies if it is raining

maxxjr

I am looking at the 10-day forecasts for Juneau and Skagway, and rain is forecasted for the days our ship will be there. For Juneau, my plan was a whale-watching tour and Mendenhall glacier, either through the cruiseline or arranged independently.

For whale watching in particular, do the tours still go out even if there is rain? Does this diminish the chance for wildlife viewing? Should I stick with a cruise tour because of the potential for bad weather?

I know that the forecast 10-days out can change as we get closer, and I am hoping that it does, but am now thinking about if I should do other things in the case of rain.

Thanks!

Tours in Alaska, do not cancel because of rain. If this is not acceptable to you, then take your chances and wait until arrival to book something. A "cruise tour" is going to have the same rain, not sure what you are asking??? To cancel a ship excursion, you still need, usually a 24 hour cancelation??

Rain in Alaska is just part of the deal no matter when you go. Make sure you pack rain gear and you'll enjoy your tours regardless of the weather. The only time weather can impact tours is things that require flying. If there is fog or if the ceilings are too low because of rain, any small plane or helicopter flights may be cancelled.

All of the boats that go out whale watching have covered areas. Not trying to sound flip, but the whales are already wet ... they don't care if it is raining, they still have to eat!

Just go expecting to have a great time whatever the weather. All that rain makes for very lush foliage and it is awesome!!

Tours in Alaska, do not cancel because of rain. If this is not acceptable to you, then take your chances and wait until arrival to book something. A "cruise tour" is going to have the same rain, not sure what you are asking??? To cancel a ship excursion, you still need, usually a 24 hour cancelation??[/quote

For a tour arranged through the cruise line, I was wondering if the cruise line might have better cancellation policies for excursions versus independent tour companies. But, if the tours are rain or shine, I suppose it doesn't matter.

If they cancelled excursions because of a little rain, they'd be canceling an awful lot! Besides, I don't think the whales care if it's raining or not... they are already wet. :p

On my first trip to Alaska, it rained the day we were in Juneau. We did a combo Mendenhall/whale watching trip too. It rained when we were at Mendenhall and let up while we were on the whale watching boat. We saw plenty of whales.

You need to accept that it rains in Alaska, even in the summer, and plan accordingly. Bring a rain jacket with a hood and you will be fine. (Forget the umbrellas, they are a pain!) If you skip excursions due to rain, you will miss out on many wonderful things. Accept the rain and be prepared for it and you will have a wonderful time.

I always tell people who are planning a trip to Alaska-- it rains, get over it!

The Tongass National Forest is one of the largest "rain forests" in the world. The reason why everything is so green is not just because of nothing but sunny days.

Pack a good jacket or purchase some disposable rain poncho's and go and do all of the tours. Alaska is a beautiful land which is often enhanced by the rain experience.

If getting a little wet is a problem, there is always the caribbean!

Have a wonderful cruise and just go for it.

For a tour arranged through the cruise line, I was wondering if the cruise line might have better cancellation policies for excursions versus independent tour companies. But, if the tours are rain or shine, I suppose it doesn't matter.

The tours, especially the cruiseline tours, go out rain or shine.

Nope.

I am looking at the 10-day forecasts for Juneau and Skagway, and rain is forecasted for the days our ship will be there. For Juneau, my plan was a whale-watching tour and Mendenhall glacier, either through the cruiseline or arranged independently.

For whale watching in particular, do the tours still go out even if there is rain? Does this diminish the chance for wildlife viewing? Should I stick with a cruise tour because of the potential for bad weather?

I know that the forecast 10-days out can change as we get closer, and I am hoping that it does, but am now thinking about if I should do other things in the case of rain.

Thanks!

In May 2007 our forecast was 60% chance of rain for most of our cruise. We had one day of rain. Don't always believe the forecast.

Be prepared for the rain and be happy if it doesn't!:)

Archived