Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Hello Dubrovniktravelady,

We dock in Dubrovnik on September 5th, 1300-2100hrs. I found out that the last ferry from Lokrum is 1900hrs. Are you able to tell me the closing times for both the cable car and wall?

Thanks in advance,

Becky.

The city walls will be open from 0800 until 1900 on your arrival date. As for the cable car, it could close at any time depending on the weather. If the winds are bad, the car will not run at all. You will have enough time to do all if you plan your day carefully.

Looking for info on Dubrovnik I came across this website www.audio-guide-dubrovnik.com offering audio guides to the wall and the town for 15 Euro. Has anyone used these guides? :confused:

I just took time to look at this link. WOW....it is a great help even if you don't rent the tapes. Go to the tours and it has a great map but you can't print it.

When you get the map, center it on your monitor, then rt click on it and there is a selection for printing. I did it on draft, but it is still very dark. You then have to put some of the numbers in. It is a gif so it is constantly changing and depends on when it reads before it prints. (don't bother to zoom in, as you probably can't read Croatian any better than I can)

When you get the map, center it on your monitor, then rt click on it and there is a selection for printing. I did it on draft, but it is still very dark. You then have to put some of the numbers in. It is a gif so it is constantly changing and depends on when it reads before it prints. (don't bother to zoom in, as you probably can't read Croatian any better than I can)

Hey, thanks a lot. I waited until all the numbers were showing and got lucky. Earlier I had printed just the list of numbers and now I got both.

CC folks come through again, and again.:)

Marge

"somewhere" I found a full list and description of attractions, with a cost (altho I don't know how recent) and saved the document. I will try to figure out which is which and # them... now if I could just figure out where I found it... with cut and paste, it is 4 pages, but almost as good as an audio guide.:cool:

Research over months makes this a real memory problem, which is why it gets spread out...:rolleyes:

"somewhere" I found a full list and description of attractions, with a cost (altho I don't know how recent) and saved the document. I will try to figure out which is which and # them... now if I could just figure out where I found it... with cut and paste, it is 4 pages, but almost as good as an audio guide.:cool:

Research over months makes this a real memory problem, which is why it gets spread out...:rolleyes:

Please pass it along when you locate it. I'm not in a hurry. As you can see below. I also have a lot of research on this port and haven't even started on the others for our July 9th cruise on RCL Voyager.

I do hope the CC cruisers come back and tell us..... who aren't going for 325 days (I think) ...how they enjoyed this port.

On one of the travel shows today had a small piece on Ravenna but not much info just on the one mosaic with Justinia and his wife.

I've looked thru my notes and I don't see the cost of the Cable Car. What is the cost this year.

Thanks

Marge

The cost for the cable car this year is 73 Kuna per person. It may be the same or a bit higher for next season, no one knows yet. Here is the site for the best tourist map of the old town and outlying area.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

The best place to find accurate and up to date descriptions plus prices is our tourist bureau website. It is filled with valuable information for guests who wish to research Dubrovnik and outlying areas.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/index.php

The best place to find accurate and up to date descriptions plus prices is our tourist bureau website. It is filled with valuable information for guests who wish to research Dubrovnik and outlying areas.

Great map.....I was able to print it so I could read it. Thanks that was a BIG help.:)

Dubrovniktravelady - Thanks for cost of the cable car.

daryleann - Frommer's was a good help also.....I just hadn't had time to get to those kind of sites because this one has been so EZ. After going over the first map and then Frommer's and now the "new" one....... I pretty much know the old town. :confused:

So you don't really have to search anymore. I think I've got "it" until I get there and then we all know what happens then. :rolleyes: Help!!! Dubrovniktravelady where are you!

Fellow CC posters be sure to go to the above sight, click HOME or just click this

in the multimedia on the left. It's a You Tube film...best I've seen.

Marge

Edited by wwwmarge

My husband and I enjoyed D'Vino Wine Bar just 10 days ago. If you enter the Old City at the Pile gate, it's about the third street on the left, then a few yards up on the right. Tasting of three wines was 50 kuna or $10 and very good.

Coolgma, check Trip Advisor.com. There is a wine bar listed as the #5 thing to do in Dubrovnick:

"Traveler Description: D'Vino Wine Bar has an impressive selection of fine domestic and imported wine available by the glass, bottle, and in tasting servings"

--------------------------

Helen

Thank you so much! Cheers! Coolgma:D

My husband and I enjoyed D'Vino Wine Bar just 10 days ago. If you enter the Old City at the Pile gate, it's about the third street on the left, then a few yards up on the right. Tasting of three wines was 50 kuna or $10 and very good.

Thank you for the great info and leading us to it! Cheers! Coolgma:D

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that we had lunch at Komarda restaurant, which is just outside the walls at the Ploce entrance. Read about this place on Trip Advisor in posts from our "local expert". We had a wonderful lunch of grilled squid. Afterward, we had planned on taking the ferry to Lokrum, but we saw people swimming just below the restaurant. We asked the waiter about it, and he said that we are welcome to swim there. So, some of us stayed at our table and drank some more :o while the others went swimming. It was such a wonderful place, with shaded tables, excellent food, reasonable prices, and a wonderful little swimming area. It was a great afternoon and one of our favorite days of our cruise!

Just wanted to let everyone know that we had lunch at Komarda restaurant, which is just outside the walls at the Ploce entrance. Read about this place on Trip Advisor in posts from our "local expert". We had a wonderful lunch of grilled squid. Afterward, we had planned on taking the ferry to Lokrum, but we saw people swimming just below the restaurant. We asked the waiter about it, and he said that we are welcome to swim there. So, some of us stayed at our table and drank some more :o while the others went swimming. It was such a wonderful place, with shaded tables, excellent food, reasonable prices, and a wonderful little swimming area. It was a great afternoon and one of our favorite days of our cruise!

Thank you what a great suggestion. Especially love the swimming part.

The cost for the cable car this year is 73 Kuna per person. It may be the same or a bit higher for next season, no one knows yet. Here is the site for the best tourist map of the old town and outlying area.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

I hope I've attached two photos. Would you please verify the names of the buildings in them and the corresponding number from the above map.

Is there a picture of #33 Ft Lovrijena available?

Thanks,

Marge

2140364009_Dubrovnik-StJohnsFortMaritimeMuseumOldTownHarbor.jpg.96ca73ef021a83e11c950d9739f6db56.jpg

1707935796_DubrovnikPort.jpg.cbee2316e31e9514dd969c342b373e3f.jpg

I hope I've attached two photos. Would you please verify the names of the buildings in them and the corresponding number from the above map.

Is there a picture of #33 Ft Lovrijena available?

Thanks,

Marge

The first photo is Fort Lovrijenac located in Pile (pee-la) Bay. Just above the entrance door, writen in Latin, are the words: "Freedom cannot be sold forall the gold in the world." This is number 33.

The second photo is the old harbor in town. Just below the island of Lokrum is Sveti Ivan (Saint John) and this is where the Maritime Museum is located. It is also one of the entrance points to the city walls, but not easy to find. The 3 arches is now a restaurant, but many years ago it was where wooden sailing ships were built. Second photo are numbers 27, 28, 29 & 14. Hope this helps.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

The first photo is Fort Lovrijenac located in Pile (pee-la) Bay. Just above the entrance door, writen in Latin, are the words: "Freedom cannot be sold forall the gold in the world." This is number 33.

The second photo is the old harbor in town. Just below the island of Lokrum is Sveti Ivan (Saint John) and this is where the Maritime Museum is located. It is also one of the entrance points to the city walls, but not easy to find. The 3 arches is now a restaurant, but many years ago it was where wooden sailing ships were built. Second photo are numbers 27, 28, 29 & 14. Hope this helps.

I have very much enjoyed reading this thread and your comments and insight. I did review the tourist website and map recommended by you. However, would you please advise for a Sunday, November 7th visit here? We are in port from 9AM to 6PM on RCL. I am travelling alone. I would love to walk/climb the wall. What do you recommend?

Thank you.

Pat

I have very much enjoyed reading this thread and your comments and insight. I did review the tourist website and map recommended by you. However, would you please advise for a Sunday, November 7th visit here? We are in port from 9AM to 6PM on RCL. I am travelling alone. I would love to walk/climb the wall. What do you recommend?

Thank you.

Pat

Of course you should walk the city walls, the views of the old town are fantastic. The weather will dictate just how long you will want to be up there as November can be our wettest month. We may also have some lovely fall weather, I hope. Do not miss the Rupe Museum, it is my favorite and so very interesting. A stop at the Franciscan Monestary to visit the second oldest pharmacy in Europe should not be missed. Our Dubrovnik tourist bureau is filled with very valuable information on historical sights, museums and our churches. Unfortunately many of our outdoor restaurants will be closed, so you may want to research those which do stay open during our winter months. The city map shows sights and locations, the website will give you the entrance fees and hours. Enjoy your time here.