Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Hello Dubrovniklady,

Your information is invaluable,I was wondering have you any idea where the Arion berths as we will be visiting your country on the 17th Sept. and would like to make some plans for our day in advance.

Thankyou.

Hello Dubrovniklady,

Your information is invaluable,I was wondering have you any idea where the Arion berths as we will be visiting your country on the 17th Sept. and would like to make some plans for our day in advance.

Thankyou.

The Arion will be at dock in the harbor at Gruz, along with 4 other large cruisers. However 2 arrive 1 and 2 hours after you and you can get to the old town earlier than most of the crowds. Since you're not departing until 2300 you have the advantage of being able to visit the old town during the evening hours, it will be lovely and not crowded at all. There is much to see, take advantage of your opportunity to enjoy our town at it's best time. Enjoy your time here.

Looking for info on Dubrovnik I came across this website http://www.audio-guide-dubrovnik.com offering audio guides to the wall and the town for 15 Euro. Has anyone used these guides? :confused:

I have never used one of the guides and you will find pros and cons regarding them. Perhaps someone who has used one can advise properly. Enjoy your time here.

@dubrovniktravellady

Thank you so much for all the information you shared with us! I might have missed some information, but what is the best entrance to take beside the main entrance to walk the wall? I read that it can be a long waiting line at the pile (?), but less crowded on other entrances?

greetz and thanx from Sambi

Thank you for that info,looking at the map it is hard to tell how far Gruz is from the old town.Is it a walk or a taxi/bus ride ? thanks in advance.

The harbor at Gruz is easy ship shuttle or taxi trip into the old town. There are some folks who do try to walk it, but it is mostly uphill and will take a good 45 minutes to an hour. Our historical sights are mostly located inside of the old town. Enjoy your time here.

@dubrovniktravellady

Thank you so much for all the information you shared with us! I might have missed some information, but what is the best entrance to take beside the main entrance to walk the wall? I read that it can be a long waiting line at the pile (?), but less crowded on other entrances?

greetz and thanx from Sambi

That question can only be answered by asking when you expect to be in Dubrovnik. The Pile entrance ticket sales point can have a line and is often busy, but it moves quickly. The other entrance at Ploce is easier, less busy and you will then walk the hardest part first. You can exit at either and only do half, it all depends on how hot it is on your arrival day, you need to decide.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Thank you Dubrovniktravelady for all your wonderful info. I was trying to look up the Cabrio bus schedule (it sounds like a wonderful way to see a part of Dubrovnik) but not sure if I was reading it correctly that it stops service on October 1? We will be arriving on the Azamara Quest on Oct 11th and if so I'll have to make other plans.

Thanks for your help...:)

Thank you Dubrovniktravelady for all your wonderful info. I was trying to look up the Cabrio bus schedule (it sounds like a wonderful way to see a part of Dubrovnik) but not sure if I was reading it correctly that it stops service on October 1? We will be arriving on the Azamara Quest on Oct 11th and if so I'll have to make other plans.

Thanks for your help...:)

Yes, you did read it correctly. The Cabrio bus does stop running on 01 October and perhaps earlier weather depending. There will still be enough to see in the old part of town, our historical sights are so worth visiting. Our fall weather can be wet and windy and often October is still warm and sunny. There is no longer a "norm" and who knows. It's my favorite time of year here and you will enjoy your day here, it's a very dramatic place to live.

Where does one catch the cable car to Mt Srd? In port Oct 11th on Azamara Quest.

The cable car is above the old part of town. I just can't explain how to find as it's a bit complicated. You can stop at the tourist bureau at the Pile entrance as have them give you a map of town and show you how to find the entrance.

The cable car is above the old part of town. I just can't explain how to find as it's a bit complicated. You can stop at the tourist bureau at the Pile entrance as have them give you a map of town and show you how to find the entrance.

Know right where you are talking about. Will go there. Thanks.

Don't count on the locals being able to direct you. We asked several people when we were there a few weeks ago and no one seemed to know. And it wasn't on any of the maps we had, even the ones we picked up that day. Of course it had only been open a couple of weeks at that point. Perhaps you will have better luck. We gave up on the cable car and had a great day in Dubrovnik anyway.

A great video clip here! It gives you an idea of where to find the cable car. Sadly when we were in Dubrovnik at the end of last month it rained and there was cloud cover so we didn't do the cable car....................another time perhaps? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1_2StMtRyI&feature=fvw

This is the best way to find the cable car entrance, also the easiest.

Walk to the far eastern entrance to the old town called the Ploce (plo-cha) gate. Once you exit the last arch you will reach a road, there's a small cafe across called "Lara."

Make a sharp left and continue up the walkway with the city walls on your left. Cross over the road, away from the sea when you reach the very first road on the left. Go up the road, past the fire station on your left. At the intersection, turn right and the entrance is just a few feet in front of you. You can't miss it.

Please be careful as you will often be walking on the road and watch for cars. Do take note of these directions, I will not post them again.

Enjoy the ride, the views are.....you decide.

Thanks for both the video and the directions. We will be there in November and will give it a try! (I copied and printed the directions)

-------------------

Helen

The cable car will be operating, weather depending. November is tradionally our wettest month, with some lovely sunny days also. Be prepared for either.

I have read many of your threads and find them very interresting. We will be arriving on the brillance of the Seas on Oct. 14. can you find out shich port we will dock at and if there are any other ships. with this info I can determine which entrtance to use and what actitivies I will do with my group. THANK YOU. You are a great asset for this board.:)

I have read many of your threads and find them very interresting. We will be arriving on the brillance of the Seas on Oct. 14. can you find out shich port we will dock at and if there are any other ships. with this info I can determine which entrtance to use and what actitivies I will do with my group. THANK YOU. You are a great asset for this board.:)

Thank you, I love compliments. Easy question, you are docked in the new port located at Gruz harbor. An easy day with only about 3500 cruise passengers which is nothing compared to this month. Do bring a windbreaker or sweater as it may well be a lovely fall day, but also we may still have a hot and humid day. With the world weather these day, who really know!

Enjoy your time in my chosen home, Dubrovnik.

Thank you, I love compliments. Easy question, you are docked in the new port located at Gruz harbor. An easy day with only about 3500 cruise passengers which is nothing compared to this month. Do bring a windbreaker or sweater as it may well be a lovely fall day, but also we may still have a hot and humid day. With the world weather these day, who really know!

Enjoy your time in my chosen home, Dubrovnik.

I have been enjoying your blog! We are from Sonoma County and would like to find a wine bar and/or wine store near the old town. We are on the Insignia arriving on 9/19. Many thanks, coolgma

I have been enjoying your blog! We are from Sonoma County and would like to find a wine bar and/or wine store near the old town. We are on the Insignia arriving on 9/19. Many thanks, coolgma

Sorry I am not able to give out any recommendations as per cruise critics rules. You must find these places on your own. Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik.

Coolgma, check Trip Advisor.com. There is a wine bar listed as the #5 thing to do in Dubrovnick:

"Traveler Description: D'Vino Wine Bar has an impressive selection of fine domestic and imported wine available by the glass, bottle, and in tasting servings"

--------------------------

Helen