Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Of course you should walk the city walls, the views of the old town are fantastic. The weather will dictate just how long you will want to be up there as November can be our wettest month. We may also have some lovely fall weather, I hope. Do not miss the Rupe Museum, it is my favorite and so very interesting. A stop at the Franciscan Monestary to visit the second oldest pharmacy in Europe should not be missed. Our Dubrovnik tourist bureau is filled with very valuable information on historical sights, museums and our churches. Unfortunately many of our outdoor restaurants will be closed, so you may want to research those which do stay open during our winter months. The city map shows sights and locations, the website will give you the entrance fees and hours. Enjoy your time here.

THank you so much!

Pat

Fellow CC posters be sure to go to the above sight, click HOME or just click this

in the multimedia on the left. It's a You Tube film...best I've seen.

Marge

Marge, what a very good tip, the site of Dubrovnik, thank you so much!!!

Hi Dubrovniklady,

First, thank you for your helpful information as always! I've read through the entire thread of your wondeful info.

I do have a questions about the new and cool "cable car". Saw the youtube video and really can't wait to take it all the way to the top. My question is, should we try to find this cable car first or walk the wall first? Or you walk the wall and somewhere along the walk is where you will find the station for the cable car?

And you've once said that once we tender/dock, take a taxi to take you to the top of a quick photo and have the driver takes you to Ploce gate to enter the wall since it's less crowded. So now we can just take the cable car and skip the taxi, right?

Thank you for your patience and always answering everyone's questions.

Hi Dubrovniklady,

First, thank you for your helpful information as always! I've read through the entire thread of your wondeful info.

I do have a questions about the new and cool "cable car". Saw the youtube video and really can't wait to take it all the way to the top. My question is, should we try to find this cable car first or walk the wall first? Or you walk the wall and somewhere along the walk is where you will find the station for the cable car?

And you've once said that once we tender/dock, take a taxi to take you to the top of a quick photo and have the driver takes you to Ploce gate to enter the wall since it's less crowded. So now we can just take the cable car and skip the taxi, right?

Thank you for your patience and always answering everyone's questions.

While walking the city walls you will not see the entrance to the cable car, probably only the cable wires going up the mountain. Also you must remember that many of my posts were written prior to the reopening of it in July 2010. Now that the cable car is back up and running, it will be much less money to just ride it to the top, cost is 73Kuna per person. Yes you can ride the cable car and skip the taxi to see Mt. Srd. There is another viewpoint located on the highway coming into town from the airport which would require a taxi ride.

Dubrovnik tourist bureau has opened a new office located at the Pile entrance area. You can visit them to obtain a city map and any other literature, also directions to the cable car. The entrance isn't that easy to locate, it takes a bit of up the hill, cross the road, up another hill and a right turn. Best to have a city map so you can get your bearings much easier.

Enjoy your time here.

Is the city easy to walk & tour on your own or should we book a tour or ship excursion. This will be our first trip to Europe and we do not speak any other language except for English. And thank you for giving link to map.

Please don't waste your money on the ship excursions. I've looked at so many of them and they are totally a waste of money. Personally I do believe that a private guide is the only way to go, however I cannot recommend anyone as per cruise critic rules.

Most believe Dubrovnik is a do it yourself, however they miss so much and never find the essence of this fabulous town. Perhaps more research on our local tourist bureau website. You can choose what sights interest you and visit them while you're here.

Please do not be concerned, English is spoken by everyone involved in our tourist sights, shops and restaurants. It has always been a second language in this country, do not be concerned.

Enjoy your time here.

Thank you, I love compliments. Easy question, you are docked in the new port located at Gruz harbor. An easy day with only about 3500 cruise passengers which is nothing compared to this month. Do bring a windbreaker or sweater as it may well be a lovely fall day, but also we may still have a hot and humid day. With the world weather these day, who really know!

Enjoy your time in my chosen home, Dubrovnik.

Thanks so much for your info!

We are on the Star Princess on Nov 12. Are we also docking at Gruz harbour?

How much can we expect to pay a taxi one way if we decide to do that instead of shuttle or walking?

This is our second visit to your beauthiful city and we are really looking forward to doing some more exploring.

Thanks so much for your info!

We are on the Star Princess on Nov 12. Are we also docking at Gruz harbour?

How much can we expect to pay a taxi one way if we decide to do that instead of shuttle or walking?

This is our second visit to your beauthiful city and we are really looking forward to doing some more exploring.

Yes, Star Princess will be in the Gruz harbor at berth 12 docked.

Last time I checked the taxi sign prices it was about 50 Kuna or 10 Euros. I can't see you taking the time to walk, the road is uphill for most of the trip and the area has nothing much to see. It's mostly our court building, insurance building, banks and not much to see. Take the shuttle, it's faster and easier and you will arrive at the Pile area. There is a newly opened tourist bureau office there where you can obtain a good city map.

Please do not miss visiting Fort Lovrijenac, the Rupe Museum which no one seems to find. Our Dominican church has some of the very best art in town. And the cable car is running now, weather depending. So much to do, so little time. Bring an umbrella and remember to layer as you may have some cold and wet weather in November.

Yes, Star Princess will be in the Gruz harbor at berth 12 docked.

Last time I checked the taxi sign prices it was about 50 Kuna or 10 Euros. I can't see you taking the time to walk, the road is uphill for most of the trip and the area has nothing much to see. It's mostly our court building, insurance building, banks and not much to see. Take the shuttle, it's faster and easier and you will arrive at the Pile area. There is a newly opened tourist bureau office there where you can obtain a good city map.

Please do not miss visiting Fort Lovrijenac, the Rupe Museum which no one seems to find. Our Dominican church has some of the very best art in town. And the cable car is running now, weather depending. So much to do, so little time. Bring an umbrella and remember to layer as you may have some cold and wet weather in November.

Thanks so much for your information and suggestions. We will enjoy our day there-no matter what the weather is like!!

Thanks

Avril

Dubrovniktravelady, if one were going to walk only one wall on the city walls, which would you recommend, please, has the prettiest views of the city itself with the multitude of red roofs? Where would be the easiest place to access this wall? I have wanted for years to visit Dubrovnik, and I love to take photographs, but DH may not be willing to do more than one wall! I know all of the views are pretty, but I really welcome your advice on this one. Thanks.

You mentioned the Rupe Museum so I googled it and found this site with absolutely stunning photos - of many places in the town! Whets the appetite, so to speak.

http://www.galenfrysinger.com/croatia_dubrovnik_museum.htm

The Rupe Museum has always been my very favorite sight in the old town. It is a bit off the beaten path and many guests don't bother to find it. This place is one of our most important historical sights and it is well worth the effort to walk up the 65ish steps. Here is the offical website.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/vodic_novost.php?id=1587&id_main=&namjena=40

Dubrovniktravelady, if one were going to walk only one wall on the city walls, which would you recommend, please, has the prettiest views of the city itself with the multitude of red roofs? Where would be the easiest place to access this wall? I have wanted for years to visit Dubrovnik, and I love to take photographs, but DH may not be willing to do more than one wall! I know all of the views are pretty, but I really welcome your advice on this one. Thanks.

There is only one city wall and the old town is located inside. The wall is 2 kilometers long with a grand total of 650 steps spread throughout. There are 2 main entrances with 1 smaller one which is a bit more difficult to located. If you want to walk only 1/2 then I suggest you enter nearest to the Pile (pill-eha) gate which is the main and busiest entrance. You can then walk the sea side and have views of the Adriatic Sea and the red roofs of the old town. Going down at the Ploce (plo-cha) exit, you will have done the easiest part and will be close to the opposite side of the old town, close to the old harbor.

I do suggest that you go back to page 23 and located the post where I did give the website for our Dubrovnik tourist map. By using this map you will be able to see how the one wall surrounds the old town. It will be a very useful tool for your visit.

DubrovnikLady, Thank you so much for all the info you provide. We will be there November 9-10 with Azamara and I was wondering if you know whether Buza I or Buza II will be open or do they close for the winter? Also I was going to book Nautica or Proto for dinner. If you are familar with those restuarants would you pick one over the other? I know you wont recommend a restuarant but hypothetically would YOU elect one over the other?

-------------------------

Helen

Edited by Ms Understood

DubrovnikLady, Thank you so much for all the info you provide. We will be there November 9-10 with Azamara and I was wondering if you know whether Buza I or Buza II will be open or do they close for the winter? Also I was going to book Nautica or Proto for dinner. If you are familar with those restuarants would you pick one over the other? I know you wont recommend a restuarant but hypothetically would YOU elect one over the other?

-------------------------

Helen

It's doubtful if Buza will be open in November, just depends on the weather. If it's raining and or the winds are blowing, there's no way. This small bar sits atop of the rocks outside of the city wall very close to the sea. You could not even make it down the steps if it's wet, don't try.

As for the other two restaurants, I do know they are owned by the same large firm. As for eating at either of them, I cannot comment. Enjoy your time here.

We will be in Dubrovnik on October 9. We are sailing on the Queen Victoria. This will be our second visit. Please can you tell us where the synagogue is as we did not visit there last time. We will also visit the Rupe museum and ride the cable car, weather permitting.

Thank you,

Pam

We will be on the Serena and calling at Dubrovnik for our last port of call. It will be 30th October. Will it be hot enough for shorts?

We are travelling with our children aged 6 and 8 and would appreciate any recommendations of what to do (or not to do) with children. This will be our last stop and we don't want to miss out on a must see, but are aware that we could have tired little legs so we won't be able to do everything.

How tall is the wall? How long will it take to do it all? Will the children be able to see over the top? Has anyone taken their children on the wall?