Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Where does the MSC Musica dock in May 2011?

What is best thing to buy here?

MSC is always docked at the Gruz harbor. You can take the ships shuttle bus or a taxi into the old town to explore our historical and cultural sights.

What is the best thing to buy here? We have a lovely bookstore which sells wonderful coffee table books about Dubrovnik. There are many art stores which have a very good selection of our local artists, water colors or oils. There are some handmade embordered table cloths or runners available, however DO NOT buy from street vendors.

We also have a very large selection of junk tourist items, which are made in China. Please don't waste your money on that stuff, it's not made locally any longer. The shops are a total embarrassment to many of us living here.

Please remember to get off the main drag and check out the side streets, that's where you can still find some very nice shops.

We plan to visit Dubrovnik in April and are looking forward to wandering around this lovely city.

I was wondering about the availability of public washrooms in the old town and especially during the hours one would spend walking the wall.

We plan to visit Dubrovnik in April and are looking forward to wandering around this lovely city.

I was wondering about the availability of public washrooms in the old town and especially during the hours one would spend walking the wall.

There are not a large amount of public restrooms within the old town. There is a newly built section at the Pile entrance prior to entering the old town. There is also another set at the old port, however it is the hole in the floor type. I only looked in one and some others may have a proper facility, I don't know for sure.

As for the wall, there is one which is closest to the Sveti Ivan area, on the wall. If you begin your wall walk at the main entrance closed to the Pile arch, it's at the half way point. As far as I know there are no others up there, since I've never had any need to locate one for myself.

May I suggest that if you find yourself in need, stop in one of our cafes and buy a soft drink, coffee, bottled water or glass of our Dalmatian wine. You may notice signs on the entrances which state "for guests only," and you of course some do just ignore the signs.

Do keep in mind, Dubrovnik was rebuilt after the 1667 earthquake, they didn't have much in the way of indoor plumbing. Nowdays all of restaurants and coffee shops do have restrooms and they are always cramped and small.

April is early in the season, some of our outdoor venues may or may not be open. They will begin to reopen again just after Easter Sunday, which is a very much a family type event here. Many local residents will not be in town and will not have their establishments open until the following day.

Enjoy your time here.

We found good public washrooms at about 1.00 on this

at the 'sea end' of the Stradun.

All the best, Tony

There are not a large amount of public restrooms within the old town. There is a newly built section at the Pile entrance prior to entering the old town. There is also another set at the old port, however it is the hole in the floor type. I only looked in one and some others may have a proper facility, I don't know for sure.

As for the wall, there is one which is closest to the Sveti Ivan area, on the wall. If you begin your wall walk at the main entrance closed to the Pile arch, it's at the half way point. As far as I know there are no others up there, since I've never had any need to locate one for myself.

May I suggest that if you find yourself in need, stop in one of our cafes and buy a soft drink, coffee, bottled water or glass of our Dalmatian wine. You may notice signs on the entrances which state "for guests only," and you of course some do just ignore the signs.

Do keep in mind, Dubrovnik was rebuilt after the 1667 earthquake, they didn't have much in the way of indoor plumbing. Nowdays all of restaurants and coffee shops do have restrooms and they are always cramped and small.

April is early in the season, some of our outdoor venues may or may not be open. They will begin to reopen again just after Easter Sunday, which is a very much a family type event here. Many local residents will not be in town and will not have their establishments open until the following day.

Enjoy your time here.

Thank so so much for the detailed answer.

We will be there on April 29, after Easter Sunday so more things will be open, as you stated.

We are hoping for nice weather on that day---could you please arrange that for us?;)

Please Dalmation Lady can you tell me what weather I could expect the second week of March in Dubrovnik?

This question has been asked of me many times and I must tell you that if I could predict the future I'd be living in a sea side villa by now.

However I can tell you we have had a mild winter, thus far. The weather forcasters tell us to expect more rain and cold winds from the north. Our March weather last year was cold, wet and windy. You can expect a lovely sunny spring day or wet, cold and windy. Be prepared for either and meantime I certainly do hope it's more spring like. Weather doesn't seem to have a norm these days. However you should contact me closer to your arrival and I will post the weather as of that time frame. Enjoy your time here, I certainly do.

• 2 weeks later...

One day to spend in this lovely city Coming in on the new Carnival Magic. Know we want to see the synagogue, the old city and walls . Do we venture on our own or with a small tour? Anyone familiar with Metro Tours? The awful review on TripAdvisor is so obviously written by a competitor trying to hurt them. We are a couple in our late 50s early 60s

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm interested in doing the Wall Walk too.

Can I just go there and do it on my own?

You can walk the city walls on your own, the cost is 70 kuna per person. They are 2 kilometers long if you do the entire wall and 650 total steps. If you walk the sea side only, it is the easiest part and you can go down at the half way point near the Maritime museum. There are 3 entrances, the main entrance is located closest to the Pile entrance into the old town. The other 2 are at the eastern side of town, one is called Sveti Ivan, the other is called Ploce.

I cannot recommend any guides or tours since I am a local resident, the rules of cruise critic do not allow me any personal recommendations.

You can however check this thread for the download of the city map I've posted several times.

Enjoy your limited time here in my home.

You can walk the city walls on your own, the cost is 70 kuna per person. They are 2 kilometers long if you do the entire wall and 650 total steps. If you walk the sea side only, it is the easiest part and you can go down at the half way point near the Maritime museum. There are 3 entrances, the main entrance is located closest to the Pile entrance into the old town. The other 2 are at the eastern side of town, one is called Sveti Ivan, the other is called Ploce.

I cannot recommend any guides or tours since I am a local resident, the rules of cruise critic do not allow me any personal recommendations.

You can however check this thread for the download of the city map I've posted several times.

Enjoy your limited time here in my home.

Many, many thanks. Will be glad to help you out with any questions you have about Israel, esp. Tel Aviv, should you ever stop by!

Hello Dubrovniktravelady,

Thank you for all of the valuable information you provide. We will be visiting your town on Thursday, July 7 on the Star Princess - 9am to 6pm.

I am inclined to make this a "do it yourself" port because of all I have read here on CC. It seems very doable, and I think a walk around the city wall and a ride on the cable car sounds great.

Would there be time to go to Lokrum? What is there?

We are traveling with a group of friends, 8 of us all together.

Some of our group have decided to do the ship's tour on a bus, and it includes a visit to Konavle Home. Do you know what that is and if that area is considered scenic?

Thanks

Many, many thanks. Will be glad to help you out with any questions you have about Israel, esp. Tel Aviv, should you ever stop by!

Israel is on my bucket list and I do hope to get there someday. I've read in our local newspaper that Dubrovnik and Tel Aviv will have direct flights this year, hope this is true. There is an essence of Dubrovnik which is unlike any other place I've even lived, look for it.

Enjoy your limited time here.

Hello Dubrovniktravelady,

Thank you for all of the valuable information you provide. We will be visiting your town on Thursday, July 7 on the Star Princess - 9am to 6pm.

I am inclined to make this a "do it yourself" port because of all I have read here on CC. It seems very doable, and I think a walk around the city wall and a ride on the cable car sounds great.

Would there be time to go to Lokrum? What is there?

We are traveling with a group of friends, 8 of us all together.

Some of our group have decided to do the ship's tour on a bus, and it includes a visit to Konavle Home. Do you know what that is and if that area is considered scenic?

Thanks

Please do more research, there are many other good travel forums which do allow posters to recommend. Dubrovnik cannnot be "done" in one short afternoon, there are far too many hidden gems here.

Walking the entire wall will take about 2 hours, with stops for photos. You can rush through in about 45 minutes, and miss the views. It's facinating up there and I've done the walls many, many times and find something new each trip.

The cable car entrance is not easily found, be sure to stop by the tourist bureau office located at Pile Brsalje (square). They can show you the best and most direct route, also ask for the town map it's very good.

Lokrum is a small island just off the old port, it is where locals go to swim. There are no beaches, we just jump off the rocks into the clean, clear Adriatic sea. It is a national preserve, lots of trees, peacocks, walking paths, an very overpriced cafe. Up to you, but I would spend time in the old town, get off the main drag and wander the back streets. The hidden gems are just that, hidden. Spend time in the Rupe Museum, it's the best view of our history and culture. Do enjoy some our seafood, it's so freash and very good.

Konavle is a lovely area just south of Dubrovnik and I'm sure the group will enjoy the experience. I am sure the home visit is a bit commercial and not actually a real home visit. Sorry I can't invite your group to my home, that would be a real visit.

Remember you can always buy me a coffee here in town, if you can find me during the heat of July. Do enjoy your time here, I certainly love every day.

Please do more research, there are many other good travel forums which do allow posters to recommend. Dubrovnik cannnot be "done" in one short afternoon, there are far too many hidden gems here.

Walking the entire wall will take about 2 hours, with stops for photos. You can rush through in about 45 minutes, and miss the views. It's facinating up there and I've done the walls many, many times and find something new each trip.

The cable car entrance is not easily found, be sure to stop by the tourist bureau office located at Pile Brsalje (square). They can show you the best and most direct route, also ask for the town map it's very good.

Lokrum is a small island just off the old port, it is where locals go to swim. There are no beaches, we just jump off the rocks into the clean, clear Adriatic sea. It is a national preserve, lots of trees, peacocks, walking paths, an very overpriced cafe. Up to you, but I would spend time in the old town, get off the main drag and wander the back streets. The hidden gems are just that, hidden. Spend time in the Rupe Museum, it's the best view of our history and culture. Do enjoy some our seafood, it's so freash and very good.

Konavle is a lovely area just south of Dubrovnik and I'm sure the group will enjoy the experience. I am sure the home visit is a bit commercial and not actually a real home visit. Sorry I can't invite your group to my home, that would be a real visit.

Remember you can always buy me a coffee here in town, if you can find me during the heat of July. Do enjoy your time here, I certainly love every day.

Thanks, I will keep researching. I would love to buy you a coffee if I could find you!

We love seafood so will try some for lunch.

Thanks, again.

Dear Dubrovnik (most helpful) Lady - would you happen to know the cost of a taxi from the airport to the Excelsior Hotel, I have been quoted 300 kuna from a private taxi company and think this is a little too high - have you any idea and what would you recommend? Thanks - I have really gained so much information about Dubrovnik from you and am really looking forward to my visit.

Dear Dubrovnik (most helpful) Lady - would you happen to know the cost of a taxi from the airport to the Excelsior Hotel, I have been quoted 300 kuna from a private taxi company and think this is a little too high - have you any idea and what would you recommend? Thanks - I have really gained so much information about Dubrovnik from you and am really looking forward to my visit.

First place I checked was the Hotel Excelsior website and found they offer a transfer service from the airport to their hotel. You should email them and see if they will offer you a better price. Excelsior is a lovely hotel and they have many services available on their website, including transfers. I will however tell you that the last time I used a taxi from the airport to the old town, the price was 250 Kuna. Do enjoy your holiday here in Dubrovnik, it's a very special town.

We will be in port on August 10th and tendering. We arrive at 10 AM and depart at 6 PM. I am thinking it is going to be really HOT and would like to go snorkeling, possibly after or before walking the wall. There is a ship excursion (snorkeling)that goes to Mlini. Has anyone done this on RCCL and is there time after to walk the wall? Dubrovniktravelady, what is your advice? Thanks!:)

Hi ,we are coming in may and were going to snorkel too ,but it may have been Dubrovniktravelady said we vmay want to tour the city and that the snorkeling is not going to be like the caribbean or other places that have good snorkeling. we are going to do something else. the snorkeling is expensive and we just did western and eastern caribbean we figured we would just tour the city. don't want to pay alot of money and be disappointed.